Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:03 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Like I said I used to work there and it was around 20k a year for out of state.

Anyway you are wrong on ALL fronts for Morgantown. Perhaps you should go there before making up assumptions about the place. Traffic is bad for WV, it is not compared to a big city and most of NJ. It is expensive for WV but not expensive comapred to WV. If the daughter is attractive guys will look at her that is going to happen in WV, in NJ, in Egypt, or anywhere in the world. Underage drinking is a problem everywhere, and is not a problem isolated to Morgantown.
Yeah, no. Not the point.

Princeton Review has WVU rated as the #3 school for "students study the least"

Quote:
WVU has a TON of stuff to do outside of Morgantown. Pittsburgh, which is a bigger city, is an hour away. There are tons of outdoor activities just outside of Morgantown.
Yeah, because students LIKE to drive over an hour and a half (and that's on a good day) away to another city that no one cares about. Pittsburgh ain't NYC or Philly.

Quote:
Here are the facts. You dont know anything about Morgantown. 100% ignorance and you are making up assumptions. Trust me plenty of those exist for the area aroudn Rutgers and NJ as a whole. I know lots of NJ students at WVU, I was a grad there, and 99% of them prefer Morgantown to where they lived in NJ, which is an area they dont find particular desirable. I am not bashing NJ just stating what NJ students say.
What exactly ARE your facts as opposed to your emotions taking over? NJ kids like WV better than NJ? Yeah, ok. You took a survey. Did you use a focus group?

I'm not bashing WV OR WVU. It JUST is what it is.

West Virginia ranked as No. 1 school, for partygoers - CNN.com

My end point it that if a college gets rated as on of the top ten party schools, let alone makes a comeback for the #1 spot (and makes the PR "Students study the least" list), my kids won't be applying. I don't care if it's WVU or Cornell or how far in the boondocks the school is or how close to NYC it is, that reputation, once you have it, is not one that is soon forgotten.

And how exactly does a school earn that qualification? Just "happens" or through a lot of hard work?

Last edited by Informed Info; 05-26-2013 at 12:20 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 12:16 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,880,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Yeah, no. Not the point.

Princeton Review has WVU rated as the #3 school for "students study the least"

Yeah, because students LIKE to drive over an hour and a half (and that's on a good day) away to another city that no one cares about. Pittsburgh ain't NYC or Philly.

What exactly ARE your facts as opposed to your emotions taking over? NJ kids like WV better than NJ? Yeah, ok. You took a survey. Did you use a focus group?

I'm not bashing WV OR WVU. It JUST is what it is.

West Virginia ranked as No. 1 school, for partygoers - CNN.com
Yep, WVU dictates how much students study. If your kids went to WVU they would be forced not to study.

They dont need to go to Pittsburgh, Morgantown is more fun. However, you said it was in the middle of nowhere which is NOT the case. The fact is you are the one emotional here. You have some ignorant prejudice against some school and area you know NOTHING about based off 3 people.

I never said NJ kids prefer WV over NJ. I said that most NJ students at WVU that I know prefer Morgantown over NJ. This is based off a sample much bigger than 3, which is good enough for you to make some generalization about WVU. So using YOUR logic I would be right. Using my logic I would never make this claim but the fact remains that almost every NJ student I know, and I know many, prefers Morgantown. Dont know what to tell you lady except stop making assumptions about things you dont know.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:05 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
We are talking undergrad.

That last 15 hours is only relevant to grad schools. Undergrads dont write a thesis, perform research, or publish papers.

Grad students at Morgantown arent the ones partying. In fact many undergrads dont.

This thread is stupid.
Of course they do!!!!

Also, just because you are receiving 15 credits for your courses, does not mean that each class meets for 3 hours per week. Labs, many music classes, performance classes, studio art classes meet for more time than credit value or are required and have no credit value.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:50 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,918,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The breakup for someone taking 15 credits in a semester-based school is:

- 15 hours instructional time (class-related).
- 15 hours reading/studying (class-related).
- 15 hours research/co-thesis/co-publishing (academic field-related).

That's a total of 45 hours before any extra-curriculars are added in.
That is exactly what I posted above. 15 hours in class, 30 hours of school related work. It's only 45 hours. Just about the same as working a full time job. That should leave plenty of time to take care of business and go out as well.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:59 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Sawdustmaker, So the whole point of your thread was just to bash WVU? Have you visited Morgantown? It's a beautiful small city in the mountains with a well respected medical school. Their engineering college is also top rate.

Pennsylvania also has a lot of students that go to WVU. Generally it's considered an easier school to get into the PSU with the same atmosphere. PSU has many of the same attributes as WVU - middle of nowhere, lots of partying, huge sports and big alumni base. I know just as many kids that couldn't hack it at PSU as WVU for the very same reasons. Just because WVU is at the top of party school lists doesn't make it that much worse then any other college. I also know many kids that graduated PSU and WVU within four years and are now employed and were not party animals in college.

I think it's fine if you don't want your kids to go to WVU, but don't expect similar colleges to be any different. If you've got kids that WANT a party school, that's a bigger problem.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:32 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,096 times
No one is forcing anyone to party. There are schools that are classified as 'party schools' that have stellar academic reputations. In reality, every school, perhaps not uber-religious ones, are party havens. It is what kids do. It is what I did.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:48 AM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
If the school had that reputation, and it was a reputation loved and exalted by enough of the undergrad student body who won't let the rep die, would you even consider it?

The school is WVU.
By the time a person reaches college age, they are an adult, and perfectly capable of deciding their own college. I have one son in college and he picked out the University that he wished to attend - he also picked out his major.(I have read many threads on this forum and can't really wrap my mind around the fact that so many parents treat their college aged children, like they are still children, uncapable of deciding their own schools, majors and life...C'mon people let your kids grow up finally - by this age they are adults, let them decide their own lives! Give them guidance and advice, but don't dictate and try to live their lives for them.)

Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 AM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
No one is forcing anyone to party. There are schools that are classified as 'party schools' that have stellar academic reputations. In reality, every school, perhaps not uber-religious ones, are party havens. It is what kids do. It is what I did.
And yes, many if not most are going party at this age, no matter where they go to college.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,880,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
By the time a person reaches college age, they are an adult, and perfectly capable of deciding their own college. I have one son in college and he picked out the University that he wished to attend - he also picked out his major.(I have read many threads on this forum and can't really wrap my mind around the fact that so many parents teach their college aged children, like they are still children, uncapable of deciding their own schools, majors and life...C'mon people let your kids grow up finally - by this age they are adults, let them decide their own lives! Give them guidance and advice, but don't dictate and try to live their lives for them.)
The take I get is the poster is a control freak who doesn't trust their kids and wants to control them. There is nothing at WVU that makes them party. If they are going to party they are going g to party. In fact kids with crazy overbearing parents are the ones who parry the hardest when they are finally free.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:51 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,024,330 times
No. WVU is not "just like any other large school". In the last few years WVU has elevated its level of partying to an art form.
WVU Riot vs. Texas Football 2012 - YouTube (BTW, that clip is well done. Seriously).

Morgantown mayor suggests student fee due to fires | Local News - WTAE Home

Chris Lewallen, President of RawDawg Promotions, LLC:
"We promote the party atmosphere and being the No. 1 party school in the nation, but we also promote being responsible and doing the right thing," he said. "So, obviously, after the Texas game we got together and decided to make a video, and obviously partner with my promotion company. That way, we could get out some flyers." Students, community take initiative to

Rawdawg on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RawDawgwv

Although the school is trying to regain some control over the excessive drinking, partying and rioting, I'm not sure that will be possible when you have a promotion company that sells the idea to out-of-staters that WVU is THE place to go for a "good time". The school has earned its well known reputation. Jim Fisher True Crime: Majoring in Arson at West Virginia University

BTW, I had a good time when I visited my daughter in Morgantown. (Although, naively, I asked her why there were so many front porches furnished with couches! ) And no, my daughter was never a student at WVU. She's a professor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities