Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:19 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Also, knowing where/what a college is doesn't make it academically prestigious.

I know tons of schools because I follow college basketball. So, I have heard of just about every DI school.

A lot of people know Duke for basketball but have no idea that it's a good school.
When my son was accepted at Cornell and Penn, my aunt was disappointed he had not applied to Notre Dame, since she considered ND much more prestigious. She had no idea that Penn was an Ivy League school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Those that say school quality does not at all tend to not have gone to a quality school.
Your statement just triggered a thought. People send a lot of money on a "prestigious" cars, clothes, vacation, etc. All of those are a depreciating assets. But a prestigious degree will pay economic dividends by opening doors and long after you finish college.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:55 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The have an MD program in conjunction with Harvard Medical School.

MD Program | Harvard-MIT Health Sciences and Technology
Yup, and that's a Harvard medical degree. Also, if the poster was talking about MIT pre-med, then they should really take a look at their exmissions. Lots of students going on to Harvard, Stanford, etc. med school.

Like you, I thought it was ridiculous that the poster would claim that ANY degree from MIT wouldn't open doors, but I thought I'd just point out the silliest part of the post, which implied that you could earn an MIT MD.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My son is at a school like that. Nobody has EVER heard of Case Western Reserve University.
Nobody... EVER!?!?

It is very well known, at least here in the Northeast.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:50 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nobody... EVER!?!?

It is very well known, at least here in the Northeast.
Nobody in FL. I agree that it is well known in the NE and Midwest. I still don't think it is considered as prestigious by the general public as it is by academics.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Nobody in FL. I agree that it is well known in the NE and Midwest. I still don't think it is considered as prestigious by the general public as it is by academics.
There is no doubt you have to be a smart to get into Case Western. How selective a university is as well as the price tag people are willing to pay gives people that shock-and-awe prestigious label. If the alumni kick butt, that will also help their prestige. Just look at the college endowment to see of the alumni are doing. Case Western has deep pockets so they are doing something right.

Harvard has a 6% acceptance rate. Yet Cornell has a 16% acceptance rate. So Harvard is more prestigious.

But acceptance rates IMHO help make the "prestigious" camp more than any other variable. After all, more people want them than they are willing to let in. Stare at this list Top 100 - Lowest Acceptance Rates | Rankings | US News to see the lowest acceptance rate colleges.

Most of these schools raise some eyebrows (especially the top 50). Nearly all of them are prestigious and they are very well known by your next door neighbor. The Service Academies don't have tuition and small tradition endowments (they have something called "Association of Graduates" non-profits which have deep pockets). My DS is at one of these listed Service Academies. Eyebrows raise all of the time when people ask where he goes to college. At the same token, I bet over 50% of the people don't realize that West Point or the Navel Academy is a college let alone USAFA.

I have never heard of is Cooper Union and it is in the top 25. I probably should have.....

Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
There is no doubt you have to be a smart to get into Case Western. How selective a university is as well as the price tag people are willing to pay gives people that shock-and-awe prestigious label. If the alumni kick butt, that will also help their prestige. Just look at the college endowment to see of the alumni are doing. Case Western has deep pockets so they are doing something right.

Harvard has a 6% acceptance rate. Yet Cornell has a 16% acceptance rate. So Harvard is more prestigious.

But acceptance rates IMHO help make the "prestigious" camp more than any other variable. After all, more people want them than they are willing to let in. Stare at this list Top 100 - Lowest Acceptance Rates | Rankings | US News to see the lowest acceptance rate colleges.

Most of these schools raise some eyebrows (especially the top 50). Nearly all of them are prestigious and they are very well known by your next door neighbor. The Service Academies don't have tuition and small tradition endowments (they have something called "Association of Graduates" non-profits which have deep pockets). My DS is at one of these listed Service Academies. Eyebrows raise all of the time when people ask where he goes to college. At the same token, I bet over 50% of the people don't realize that West Point or the Navel Academy is a college let alone USAFA.

I have never heard of is Cooper Union and it is in the top 25. I probably should have.....
I am well aware of the service academies. My son was accepted at USNA but he got sick and had his appointment rescinded as a result of his illness. Luckily, he had good options at civilian schools.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I am well aware of the service academies. My son was accepted at USNA but he got sick and had his appointment rescinded as a result of his illness. Luckily, he had good options at civilian schools.
It's surprising how many talented kids get turned down because of illness, last minute broken bones, etc let alone medically disqualified. My son was medically disqualified but he was invited to try and get a medical waiver. It was a massive PITA. I suspect most of those that get turned back have some great options. Congrats to your son for bouncing back.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
It's surprising how many talented kids get turned down because of illness, last minute broken bones, etc let alone medically disqualified. My son was medically disqualified but he was invited to try and get a medical waiver. It was a massive PITA. I suspect most of those that get turned back have some great options. Congrats to your son for bouncing back.
Well my son did try to get a medical waiver but it was not granted. The doctors felt that not enough time had passed after his illness. They told him that if a year had passed they would have felt better about admitting him and they encouraged him to apply again. However, after a year at CWRU he has almost half of a degree (AP credits) and he does not want to start over at USNA.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
Quote:
That acceptance rate will probably jump up after next year. Up until this year, all accepted students received full-tuition scholarships. Starting with next year's incoming class, students will pay up to 50% tuition. It's kind of tragic, but a sign of the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities