Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:38 PM

67 posts, read 189,245 times

Advertisements

So when I graduate from high school I would like to go to a school with good spirit (High basketball/football/baseball game turnout) good academics (I have a 3.89 gpa and not sure of my ACT, but in sure it will be AT VERY LEAST 28) and a kind of lively place (no missisipi or wyoming)
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 09:10 PM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
What will you major in?
What can you afford?

Those are more important than 'spirit'.... and I don't even know what you mean by lively.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:00 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,205,143 times
Gvsu

Old 10-31-2013, 10:47 PM

67 posts, read 189,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
What will you major in?
What can you afford?

Those are more important than 'spirit'.... and I don't even know what you mean by lively.
Well I already knew that, that is why I also asked for places with good academics, also:

Lively,
: very active and energetic

: full of energy, excitement, or feeling

: full of movement or activity

That is what was meant by lively (I thought it was obvious) and as for major and affordability, that can be determined at a later date. As of now, I would like school suggestions based on the what I asked in the question, so that I may compile a list at a later date, than narrow it down based on what seems to fit my interests. also how could you discount spirit? That is an important aspect of school. Spirit is a good gauge of what the social life on campus will be like, higher spirit would usually translate to a better social scene, which is very important because humans are social creatures.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:18 PM

5,523 posts, read 8,779,747 times
With high grades and test scores, and assuming the rest of your application is strong, you would have a lot of choices before considering what you can afford, what you want to study, and where you want to be.

Some schools known for their spirit, especially around sports: Duke, UCLA, USC,Michigan, Texas, Ohio State, UNC.

Ivy League schools like Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Penn,and Columbia are certainly vibrant, though less sports-centric -- especially Columbia!

Beyond this you can find vibrancy and excitement at many city schools just by virtue of where they are. These would be places like NYU, Boston U, U of Washington (Seattle), Georgetown, Reed (Portland), DePaul (Chicago).

In general it sounds like small liberal arts colleges, often in the country or small towns, usually won't have the level of vibrancy and liveliness you want, while big state schools and schools in lively cities usually will.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,187,216 times
If I was you (and I was), I'd find something that wouldn't put you in any debt. If you can get scholarships, fine (and with your grades you probably can).

If you can't get scholarships, go the cheapest route possible - two years at a community college, transfer to a cheap state local school all while living at home. Major in something practical. Get a job and start saving your money. You can watch your colleagues root for their schools' basketball teams while they pay down their $50K student loans. Meanwhile you're beefing up your 401(k).

It's better to major in something practical from a no name school than it is to major in some BS-ology from some big football/basketball school.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:47 AM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROYJENKINS! View Post
also how could you discount spirit?
I didn't discount it... I just don't hold it in as high regard as you do.

The most spirited school on the planet won't do you any good if they do not offer your major, or if you cannot afford it.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:08 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,003,083 times
Michigan popped into my head, though I'm a Badger, so I also have to suggest UW.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:45 AM

550 posts, read 966,474 times
Michigan would fit your criteria pretty well, academically and spirit-wise. Everyone knows about their football traditions and their decent Basketball team, but they also have solid program for hockey, swimming, and a few other sports I'm sure I didn't mention. Baseball, not sure.

Keep in mind that in a school like that, kids are bright, competitive, and you can easily get lost in the crowd. It's a large undergrad/grad program that totals 40,000 students, spread across a huge campus. But there's no doubt that Ann Arbor is an extremely energetic town, and if you find your niche, you'll love the experience.

But as others suggested, the "fit" really depends on what you want to do.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,237,709 times
I'd suggest Ohio State University. University of Michigan, Syracuse (SU is a private) Penn State and West Virgian University also come to mind. WVU could be a safety school.

Where exactly did this poster ask anyone about "debt"? Why is "debt: always thrown into the mix when a young person is looking for a college that's a good fit?

Why not throw "spirit" into the questions of a person seeking a cheap college? It would make about as much sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities