Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:54 PM

12 posts, read 95,726 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, I major in Computer Science and plan to go to community college for two years and then transfer to a four years school. So I haven't take math for like a year in high school and English is not my native language. So I end up taking remedial class at the Community College, the track right now take me 3 years to get an Associate Degree. I feel like I'm very stupid.

Do you guys think I can catch up by taking Summer Class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 04:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
I would say it is foreseeable. If you have to take remedial courses either because you tested bad or didn't do as well in high school and do not take courses in Summer or take 12 credits a semester because you have a part time job and you cannot get courses on specific days.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:43 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevisualbasic View Post
Hello everybody, I major in Computer Science and plan to go to community college for two years and then transfer to a four years school. So I haven't take math for like a year in high school and English is not my native language. So I end up taking remedial class at the Community College, the track right now take me 3 years to get an Associate Degree. I feel like I'm very stupid.

Do you guys think I can catch up by taking Summer Class?
Don't feel stupid, it's pretty common. You should be able to catch up and even get ahead if you go straight through two summers in a row since most colleges offer two short summer sessions, giving you four in total to work with. Hopefully your class requirements are available in those sections.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:49 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevisualbasic View Post
Is there a law somewhere that says it HAS to be done in 2 years? Who cares if it goes longer or shorter? I'm sure it matters to you, but who else is even going to care. If you feel very stupid now, wait until you get into Trig!

If I felt like taking summer courses, I did, if not, then I enjoyed my time off for school. But eventually you will know what pace you can keep up and you won't have to ask anyone else what you should do as far as academia is concerned.

I was out of high school for 11 years and never took any college prep coursework in high school. You can do it.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:16 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
I had to take a bunch of remedial math. It sucks, it sucks up time and it sucks up your Pell Grant funds too if you are getting that kind of aid, but it's very common and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It's better to take the remedial classes and feel confident in the college level courses than to try and jump in at a level far above what is comfortable then fail!

Old 06-16-2013, 10:34 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,096,767 times
I struggle with learning disabilities so the traditional American education is not really designed for me. I do not think it is bad at all for you to take 3 years. It took me 5 1/2 years to complete a bachelors degree including summer school every year. I am proud I completed my degree. I understand feeling stupid at times but I try to remind myself I am doing the best I can given my circumstances. Summer school is great way to get classes done and don't forget about tutors as well. Often colleges have on site tutoring available which can be a great way to start of even asking your professors about tutors. My friend found a tutor on craigslist for herself and then I contacted him for help for organic chemistry. Remember you can do it.

Charlie.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:51 AM

12 posts, read 95,726 times
Thank you everybody, I will face this class and will pass the class also.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:23 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
"Is it normal to get an Associate Degree in 3 years?"

Normal? No.
But you have to do the best you can do, no matter what the norm is.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:43 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
It took me 20 years to get my AA Degree so don't feel stupid. I took a few classes right out of high school then got a job, got married and had a couple kids before going back. Thankfully the units I earned as a teen still applied towards my degree or it would have taken me 21 years! LOL!

My son in in your position now. He spent 3 years just knocking out his lower level GE's and only decided on Computer Science when he started the transfer process. Then he spent another semester at the CC taking is first CS class and pre-calc because it was cheaper. Hopefully he can keep up with the math requirements because he never cared for it.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:17 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
At one time it was thought that an associate degree was a two-year program and a bachelor degree was a four-year program. Times have changed. Many people take remedial courses which will help you as you take advanced courses and many people work. Do not be concerned about the length of time--just do the best work that you can in order to complete your education. Take the words "two" and "four" out of your vocabulary and focus on your goals.

You might want to consider taking one or two summer courses and most community colleges offer several summer sessions. That can speed up the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities