Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 06:37 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times

Advertisements

I think this ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY FIVE-SEMESTER ASSOCIATE IN APPLIED SCIENCE DEGREE makes more sense.
More general.
Less specialized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 08:51 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
I am in my mid thirties and question at times if there is even room for someone my age to enter this field prior to spending any time and money on training.
From what I have heard, computers is one of the most discriminated fields against older applicant, particularly career changers.

Apparently, they want young people who can keep up with languages and stuff.

But, that's all 2nd hand.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 PM

501 posts, read 801,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I think this ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY FIVE-SEMESTER ASSOCIATE IN APPLIED SCIENCE DEGREE makes more sense.
More general.
Less specialized.
I understand, I really want to learn Linux and figured it would open the door to learning Fedora, Redhat, etc. I am only basing that on some of the job descriptions I see that are currently hiring.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 PM

501 posts, read 801,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Where do you want to be in five years is a better question, I am a network technician and have been in the telecomm field for over 20 years so this is a good question to start with.
I am very entry level with this, I am fascinated with being one to write/know codes.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:13 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Think ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen View Post
basing that on some of the job descriptions I see that are currently hiring.
I graduated in 1970 with a BS in Engineering.
There were no job listings for webmasters.

Your education should give you broad, fundamental strengths.
My engineering education taught me how to think and analyze.
I learned how to code mostly while working.
I spent 11 years in high-tech sales and if you told me that I would be a salesman when I was 22, I would have laughed in your face.

My suggestion is that you:
1. focus on getting a degree and not a diploma.
2. take the most difficult courses offered (the ones that hurt your brain (I am looking at you: quantum mechanics))
3. take a broad set of courses (calculus, statistics, chemistry, physics, english, accounting, economics, art, circuit theory, thermodynamics, french, marketing, OOP, data structures)

By the way, I hate the "curriculum sheets" idea as they seem so constraining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities