Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:44 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
I dug out a book I read in sociology class in college called The Chosen by Jerome Karabel. How fair do you find Ivy League admissions the past 100 years?

The Chosen: The Hidden History of Admission and Exclusion at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton (.): Jerome Karabel: 9780618574582: Amazon.com: Books

I say admissions have gotten more fair. Legacies represent 13% of the student body at Yale for example and used to be over 30%. Athletic scholarships are strictly capped. There is still a quota on Asian Americans like myself.
I'd say it's fair. I myself got into one and got rejected by one. And I was far from a phenomenal high school student. A number of us got into them. Getting into a bottom Ivy isn't that great of an accomplishment. Harvard is a different story.

Quota on Asians?

Haha. Ivy schools are flooded with Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
If I had a fair comprehensive review of a candidate, I would place the most emphasis on academic achievement and make all other factors secondary:
1. Academic - GPA and standardized test scores
2. Character- based off recommendations and gauges honesty and speaking ability
3. Extracurricular activities - excelling in sports, music, or art
You need to mature a little. It's not so black and white. It's a simple example but your process would likely pick someone who had a 780 on their GMAT but did little in anything else over someone who scored 720 but was an accomplished musician.

You seem to be missing respect for the dedication, persistence, passion, and intelligence that are necessary for non-academic activities.

There are many more glaring things that your thought process misses but I'll leave it at that.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:16 PM

460 posts, read 982,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
You need to mature a little. It's not so black and white. It's a simple example but your process would likely pick someone who had a 780 on their GMAT but did little in anything else over someone who scored 720 but was an accomplished musician.

You seem to be missing respect for the dedication, persistence, passion, and intelligence that are necessary for non-academic activities.

There are many more glaring things that your thought process misses but I'll leave it at that.

I was stating what I wanted in my version of the admission process to undergrad. You are stating what happens right now.

I just find the whole process somewhat anti-academic to b-school that you alluded to. We want someone intelligent but not a grade grubber. Maybe the adcoms don't want 75% of the b-school class to consist of Indians and Chinese people who scored 720+ overseas and destroyed the test we concocted. They want people with subjective "leadership" and "teamwork" abilities with decent academic achievement. Also, fluency in spoken English is very important and is the main reason international students have a hard time getting in.

My academic profile is not outstanding. But my volunteering efforts are. So I am speaking against my self interest.

Last edited by AngusHsu; 07-25-2013 at 12:49 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 12:16 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
As others have said, you need to define exactly what you mean by fair.

If you are of the mind that top of the line test scores/GPAs entitle one into admission into an elite school, you may be starting from a faulty pretense.

The admissions office is not there to reward high schoolers for past performance. Their job is not to give out prizes for good behavior. Their job is to admit whatever kind of class fits the institution's needs.

On the other hand, I do agree that there tends to be a quota on Asians.

Last edited by Tinawina; 07-25-2013 at 12:41 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
As others have said, you need to define exactly what you mean by fair.

If you are of the mind that top of the line test scores/GPAs entitle one into admission into an elite school, you may be starting from a faulty presence.

The admissions office is not there to reward high schoolers for past performance. Their job is not to give out prizes for good behavior. Their job is to admit whatever kind of class fits the institution's needs.

On the other hand, I do agree that there tends to be a quota on Asians.

There are explicit quotas on Asian Americans, like those of the Jews in an earlier era.

New York Times article showing how consistently the Asian American percentages are capped:
Statistics Indicate an Ivy League Asian Quota - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

Old 07-25-2013, 12:27 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
There are explicit quotas on Asian Americans, like those of the Jews in an earlier era.

New York Times article showing how consistently the Asian American percentages are capped:
Personally, I disagree that Ivies have any significant anti-Asian sentiment or quota. Maybe a little.

If anything, getting into an Ivy League school is one thing in life where your being Asian will HURT YOU THE LEAST.

After you get your shiny Ivy League degree(s) and enter the real world, try navigating the spheres of Wall Street, Big 4 Accounting, Corporate Law, Consulting, etc and how they tend to favor persons with certain images and personas for promotions. See how much your nose to the grind hard work ethic helps you then, like it helped you get into Dartmouth. Not!

You'll see what I mean.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Personally, I disagree that Ivies have any significant anti-Asian sentiment or quota. Maybe a little.

If anything, getting into an Ivy League school is one thing in life where your being Asian will HURT YOU THE LEAST.

After you get your shiny Ivy League degree(s) and enter the real world, try navigating the spheres of Wall Street, Big 4 Accounting, Corporate Law, Consulting, etc and how they tend to favor persons with certain images and personas for promotions. See how much your nose to the grind hard work ethic helps you then, like it helped you get into Dartmouth. Not!

You'll see what I mean.

By a certain image, do you mean a tall, confident, sociable, and clean cut man? Not necessarily Caucasian.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Maybe if Asians weren't so smart there wouldn't need to be a cap.

Edit: what are you saying...you feel persecuted?

Old 07-25-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
By a certain image, do you mean a tall, confident, sociable, and clean cut man? Not necessarily Caucasian.
I think he/she means that it ain't all about what you think it's about.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:43 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:

Yup. There's a book about it, right?

There is a sense they don't want to have "too many" Asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities