Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:35 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Girl View Post
You could try to find someone who liked the book and pay them to write a report for you.
Just don't use anyone that writes papers for people professionally, or attended the same school as you, because YOU WILL GET CAUGHT.

Also, try to not get into the habit of doing this, especially if you want to become a Doctor, or any other profession where someone's life is in your hands, because you really need to pay attention in those classes.
You also need to pay attention, and do the work, when learning technical skills, such as engineering (all kinds), architecture, programming, IT, and how to repair and/or create stuff, and so on.

Having a firm grasp on English is important, as are Maths and Sciences.
Ya don't want to accidentally blow yourself up, or accidentally make a poisonous gas with common household items.
You also need to be able to understand Investments (Manage your own money; don't get ripped off),
as well as be able to work out LxWxH, perimeters, areas, volumes, convert weights, and so on.

Call some house painters and ask for quotes. Next, go see how much paint costs.
You can do the same for landscaping, plumbing, and home electrical work.
Unless you are (or become) rich, you're gonna want to be able to handle your own lawn work, painting, and be able to do other home repairs.
Roofing, though... Minor repairs are easy, but redoing a whole roof is hard, hot, dangerous work.

A general understanding of Geography (how to use maps, and what states and countries are where; ya don't have to memorize every town) is also good.

However, reading boring books for an English Class is a waste of time.
If you can read, write, and spell, just fine, for most professions, that is enough.
Not every book can be enjoyed, or appreciated, by every person.

History is alright; a general understanding is more than enough to get by.
You will forget most of the Exact Dates of Important Stuff that Happened, before you were Born, unless you become a writer, or a teacher, or are fascinated by History.

You'll also need to understand the laws of your land, and how your political system works.
Before you travel, you can always go online and read about other countries laws and taboos.

Life is short. Do what you love, with passion, so long as it doesn't endanger anyone and/or land you in prison.

P.S. if you do get someone to write the report for you, tell no one, and DO NOT BRAG ABOUT IT ONLINE.
Some schools have revoked diplomas over cheating, even decades after the offense took place.

As far as "Efforts in Futility" supposedly getting you ready for the Real World, they rarely do.
Doing work/jobs you hate, and sticking with it because a loved one is counting on you, THAT builds Character.
It's all about your inner motivation, understanding what's at stake, and making the right decision.

Some of this post is directed at people younger than the OP.

Short Version: Only quit stuff when it will not negatively impact your future, or the futures of those you care about (if they are worth it; that judgement call is up to you).
I can tell that you are young and honestly, you don't have the slightest clue of what you are talking about. Of all the time I've been on CD, this has got to be the WORST advice I have ever seen. First of all, what you suggest is unethical, second, there is a BIG chance that you will get caught as professors now have software where they scan your papers in and the software can tell if it was plagiarized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:57 PM

337 posts, read 897,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHastings View Post
Perhaps Malcolm's explanation of one of his most fascinating rules of the book will change your notion?

Listen
Thanks!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
I have to write an 8-10 page paper on a book called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. I have zero interest in this, and I'm not even past the first page yet. Fortunately this will be my last english class ever, and it will be over in one week. I just have to get past this paper and one more (at least it's shorter).

The topic is vague. I turned in an intro and she basically just said the thesis was too general and doesn't see any point to my paper .

Anyone have any tips for this "writers block"?
A paper on Gladwell's Outliers??? I liked the book but a paper on it? In college?

Old 07-26-2013, 02:46 AM

774 posts, read 1,694,048 times
Thanks for reminding me about this book--it looks absolutely captivating and I was meaning to read it.

How and why are some people stunning successes and other people (of apparently similar aptitude and capabilities) condemned to penury and/or obscurity?

Oppenheimer attempted to poison one of his tutors at Cambridge? Wow. The things you learn.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:42 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Look at your notes and if needed, review the book again. Do this until you have formed a strong thesis.

Once you have your thesis it's easy; break the paper into "chunks". It sounds simplistic but it works well for me when I mentally map out the paper so I know roughly what's going to be in my intro, body, conclusion and just focus on writing one portion at a time. Obviously the strong thesis "maps" it for you. I can handle anything when I break it into chunks, it stops being overwhelming and I stop feeling "frozen".

Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,244 times
Ok, read the book and take notes. If you don't agree with it say so and explain why you don't agree with it. Try to understand the author's point of view. If you don't get it, explain why you don't get it. I would think an instructor would at least give you points for your point of view.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:38 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,055 times
The advice given to read the book in short bursts also works for anything you don't really want to do.

Set your timer for 10 minutes. Work for that time. Really work...write at least a paragraph. It doesn't have to be brilliant.

Set it again for 10 minutes. Go do something else. Something physical like jumping jacks or running around the block.

10 more minutes of writing. If you get on a roll, go longer. If not, run again or play a casual (match-three-type) game for 10. Nothing too involved. Think about what you're going to say next. Let your mind wander.

Repeat.

It's trying to do sustained effort that's so hard. Nobody would sit down and write 20 pgs of something they dislike straight through in cold-blood. But breaking it up into 10 minute blocks...heck, you can do just about anything for 10 minutes.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
Breaking News: Young adults like fun and interesting things.
That has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. PUPPIES like fun and interesting things. LITTLE OLD LADIES like fun and interesting things. BABIES like fun and interesting things. HITLER liked fun and interesting things.

If you expect your life to be filled with fun and interesting things, you're going to be sadly disappointed.

Breaking News: Just because something is not "fun and interesting," you are still going to have to do it to pass a class or keep your job or not get in trouble with the law.

Party on.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
(deleted -- duplicate post)

Last edited by west seattle gal; 07-26-2013 at 11:06 AM..

Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,528,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This is not "writers block" this is classic "I don't want to do this paper because I think it is boring" block.
Sit down and read the book whether you like it or not, no phone, no games, no computer just sit and read. Then write your paper and do the best you can do, put actual effort into it and make sure it is something you can be proud to turn in.

"Ever" is a very long time, there could be more English Classes in your future.
Agree. We have all been there. Just buckle down, be reflective, and write from your own personal perspective. I think this book has the potential to add value to your life if you take it seriously.

gladwell dot com - outliers

And do NOT steal any of the following material, but explore it to deepen your own thinking about the book:

Outliers: The Story of Success eNotes Synopsis - Malcolm Gladwell - eNotes.com - Outliers—those...

Last edited by west seattle gal; 07-26-2013 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities