Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 03:22 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,051 times

Advertisements

After I finish my associates, I'm looking into transfering into a Bachelors program in Health Information Management (I think anyway, see other post). The advisor said they have an agreement with Devry about credit transfers and are working on one with The University of Cincinnati. What are your thoguhts on these two schools? I'd personally take the U of C over Devry because I've read some good but not so good things about Devry. Any personal experiences with either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 08:20 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I would not do devry. It is expensive and not really well regarded on a resume. EVEN though, they DO give a good education for the type of work you will be doing. You will have to fight discrimination against the school when going on interviews.

I know many people who have gone there and told me this - although it was for a different degree. So it may be different for you. Look into your community college programs.

Find out what the absolute best school is for that degree and try and get into there.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Make sure that you get a strong foundation in computers, too - I doubt any hospital will be using a paper-based medical record system in ten years. The size of medical records departments will decline as more and more "filing" is done electronically. Coding is also becoming increasingly automated and outsourced.

There's an interesting paper at http://www.ahima.org/emerging_issues/Vision2016BlueprintforEduc.pdf (broken link) about the future of HIM education. The executive summary at the start is interesting.

If you are ever thinking about getting a graduate level degree (which you should - an MHA degree puts you above most positions that can be outsourced), avoid places like Devry and University of Phoenix like the plague.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:45 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I would definitely contact people in the field. They may be able to give you recommendations and tips on such a specialized field.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:32 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
After I finish my associates, I'm looking into transfering into a Bachelors program in Health Information Management (I think anyway, see other post). The advisor said they have an agreement with Devry about credit transfers and are working on one with The University of Cincinnati. What are your thoguhts on these two schools? I'd personally take the U of C over Devry because I've read some good but not so good things about Devry. Any personal experiences with either?
DeVry Look at the AHIMA webpage - they list undergrad schools by state and several have online option.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:11 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
I agree - stay away from DeVry, Phoenix, American Intercontinental -- they are businesses that need to make money not grant you an education. Good luck to you - you got some great advice from the other posters.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:27 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I got two degrees from UC and was very pleased with the education I received there. My brother got three degrees there and is now a college professor. We both lived at home and had to commute to UC, so we didn't have the typical college experience, but we both feel UC gave us great educations.

Two of my friends have daughters at UC now and are extremely pleased with the updated campus, housing, and security. The new dorms/apartments are really gorgeous. I wouldn't hesitate to send my child to UC. I hope this helps you.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:15 AM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,391,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I agree - stay away from DeVry, Phoenix, American Intercontinental -- they are businesses that need to make money not grant you an education. Good luck to you - you got some great advice from the other posters.
I'm not a fan of any of these 3 schools, but all colleges are designed to make money; education is secondary.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:24 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Public and non-profit universities do need to make money, but that money gets re-invested into the schools instead of being distributed to shareholders. That's a big difference between those schools and a for-profit. One group raises money to re-invest in education while the other raises money to pad the shareholder's pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities