Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 02:56 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,442 times

Advertisements

A question to those of you who routinely bash University of Phoenix and other for profit schools. What do you think of universities such a Liberty, Bob Jones, or Oral Roberts? There are more than a few who claim they'll throw any resume with UoP on it straight in to the trash. Do you also feel the same level of derision for religious themed schools that have also had some questionable moments in their academic past? Just curious, as depending on what major they had, I would be hesitant to hire some if they had attended one of these schools. I'm not sure I would want a doctor from Oral Roberts operating on me either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 03:03 PM

45,434 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
A question to those of you who routinely bash University of Phoenix and other for profit schools. What do you think of universities such a Liberty, Bob Jones, or Oral Roberts? There are more than a few who claim they'll throw any resume with UoP on it straight in to the trash. Do you also feel the same level of derision for religious themed schools that have also had some questionable moments in their academic past? Just curious, as depending on what major they had, I would be hesitant to hire some if they had attended one of these schools. I'm not sure I would want a doctor from Oral Roberts operating on me either.

Does Oral Roberts have a medical school? If not, then the med school which accepted and trained that doctor would seem to have had no problem.

I've known a few people (and have had students) who went to Liberty. They were as competent upon graduation as those who went to "mainstream" colleges.

As a note, I am areligious. or irreligious. Whichever.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:35 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
I, personally, probably would not attend those universities; but, it would be for a different reason from why I would try to avoid for-profit colleges. People have spoken out against Liberty on this forum and everywhere else. The controversies between these two groups of colleges are very different, so I don't think one can compare them. I know of a couple of far right wing people who love the conservative, religious schools while hating the greed of for-profits. I also know of libertarians who see no problem with for-profits or ultra conservative schools.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:32 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Weird question... almost like saying since you don't like apples, would you even try oranges.
I don't see how the two even compare.....

Old 10-02-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Weird question... almost like saying since you don't like apples, would you even try oranges.
I don't see how the two even compare.....
I chose them as they're considered polarizing. Both groups have detractors and a common criticism is that they tarnish or diminish higher education. For the religious schools it is that their primary goal is indoctrination, for the for-profits, well that is obvious. At least for me, I think warping the curriculum to meet your own fanatical religious views is worse than simply trying to make a buck of hapless students, but that is just my opinion. Though as I said earlier, the type of degree would probably matter more than anything. I doubt Oral Roberts could twist a computer science or math degree too much, but I would be much more skeptical of a biology degree from one of those schools.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I think warping the curriculum to meet your own fanatical religious views is worse than simply trying to make a buck of hapless students, but that is just my opinion.
And you are entitled to it!
But, the students who go there do not see them as warped or fanatical... and choose to go there because they have similar religious views.
Are you similarly opposed to religious schooling elementary through high school, or just colleges?

Old 10-02-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I doubt Oral Roberts could twist a computer science or math degree too much, but I would be much more skeptical of a biology degree from one of those schools.

http://www.oru.edu/academics/college_of_science_and_engineering/PDFs/degreeplan_biology.pdf

Looks a lot like the courses I took at a large public university for MY biology degree.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And you are entitled to it!
But, the students who go there do not see them as warped or fanatical... and choose to go there because they have similar religious views.
Are you similarly opposed to religious schooling elementary through high school, or just colleges?
Actually, I do. If you're applying to be a geology major at a major university then I hope you weren't taught that the world is 6000 years old and the grand canyon was made during the great flood. If so, your future probably isn't going to be very bright. Also, having intellectual scholars such as Michele Bachmann as alumni doesn't help.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 PM

455 posts, read 1,398,753 times
This subject has always been blown out of proportion. LU's Creation study's course (CRST 290) doesn't count as science credit. It's just a one time course all students have to take no matter the major. The student can take CRST 290 and then 390 but that's by choice. They still teach evolution. LU's a private non-profit RA school that is building a DO school. If they were so off their rockers they wouldn't be a SACS school, and wouldn't be building a medical school. Below is their Bio degree plan it's seems pretty normal to me.

http://www.liberty.edu/media/1170/BI...1%207-1-07.pdf

Oral Roberts and LU are comparable but not Bob Jones. Bob Jones isn't even an RA school. For-profits are in a entirely different league and can't be compared either. LU's campus is like a resort and they are mildly successful at NCAA D1 (FCS) sports to include Football. They are playing Old Dominion University this week. Who is UOPX playing? :P

Last edited by curtisc83; 10-02-2013 at 08:35 PM..

Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
All this has always been blown out of proportion. LU's Creation study's course (CRST 290) doesn't count as a science credit. It's just a 1 time course all students have to take once no matter the major. The student can take CRST 290 and 390 but that's by choice. They still teach evolution. LU's a private non-profit RA school that is building a DO school. If they were so off their rockers they wouldn't be a SACS school. Below is their Bio degree plan it's seems pretty normal to me.

http://www.liberty.edu/media/1170/BI...1%207-1-07.pdf

Oral Roberts and LU are comparable but not Bob Jones. Bob Jones isn't an RA school. For-profits are in a entirely different league and can't be compared. LU's campus is like a resort and they are mildly successful at NCAA D1 (FCS) sports to include Football. They playing Old Dominion University this week. Who is UOPX playing? :P
Grand Canyon University has a football team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities