Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 7,533 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I am currently and MSW with a concentration in Macropractice (community organizing, policy, planning, and administration). I have been working in my field for a while, and I am thinking I need to become more marketable. My goal would be to become a better leader for a non profit (ie grant writer, budget, supervisor).

I have been doing research, and I am debating between an MBA with a concentration in Non profit management or MPH. I know an MPH deals with the public sector and MBA deals with the private sector. However, if I found the right MBA program, I am thinking that it might do just a good of a job as an MPH and make me more marketable. What does everyone else think?

I would love feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 AM

380 posts, read 962,059 times
Hi, 2 points: I would repost this in the colleges and universities sub forum. Also, I know someone who has an MBA in nonprofit management and what they did was a open a local chapter for a national organization. So if you go with non profit see if there is a lack of an organization in a certain area but a demand for it's services. My 2 cents Good luck!

Old 09-22-2010, 12:35 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,956,813 times
I think you mean MPA aka Masters of Public Administration instead of MPH.

Also, I agree, a good MBA degree position you well in the market. The great thing about an MBA is that you concentrate of NPO and still graduate with solid understanding of management. All the best!

Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,125,241 times
I've worked in the non profit field for about 7 years and the MSW you are currently pursuing would still make you marketable because of its focus. Lots of supervisors have the MSW and are doing well.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I think you mean MPA aka Masters of Public Administration instead of MPH.
Probably so.
I've seen some requirements out there for the MPH if its healthcare driven public sector type of job.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:48 PM

211 posts, read 816,772 times
MPH - Master of Public Health vs. MPA - Master of Public Adminstration. What field interests you the most - Healthcare or the Public Sector/Gov't ?

Old 10-01-2010, 11:37 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless99 View Post
MPH - Master of Public Health vs. MPA - Master of Public Adminstration. What field interests you the most - Healthcare or the Public Sector/Gov't ?
Glad to see you all got this before I did . I have an MPH (Master of Public Health) and work in education.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:06 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,128,034 times
In my opinion and I base it on my 32 years of experience is that a MBA or MS is more powerful than a MPH. How do I know? The govt. accepts the degree as having a full Masters degree...

I interviewed many condidates for govt. jobs and there is a college that educates one for an MPH without the natural prerequisit of having a BS, BA or undergrad degree of any year/s.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I interviewed many condidates for govt. jobs and there is a college that educates one for an MPH without the natural prerequisit of having a BS, BA or undergrad degree of any year/s.
Care to share which one it is. I'm anxious to know!

Old 10-01-2010, 01:36 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
In the non-profit world an MBA would confine you to the "back-office," i.e., administration, operations, development, HR and finance.

Think of it in a different context, for example, a non-profit theater. Someone with a Masters of Fine Arts (MFA) is in charge of the artistic side of the theater. Large theaters also have a managing director with an MBA in arts administration. That person is in charge of the money and operations but has very little say in the artistic work of the theater. It would foolish for a person to get an MBA in arts administration if he or she really wanted to direct plays.

Similarly, with an MSW you have been involved with community organizing and policy, i.e, the "front-office" side of the organization. You may have done back-office work, but that's probably due to the size of the organization, rather than the nature of the degree. If you want to continue on the policy side, an MBA won't help you. In fact, it may prevent you from doing what you wanted to do in the first place.

You can take classes in grant writing and development if you want to improve your marketability. You don't need a full MBA for that.

On the other hand, you may want to transition into a fully administrative position. There's nothing wrong with that choice. The non-profit world desperately needs good administrators. They are hard to find because the don't get the direct emotional satisfaction from doing artistic, educational or social work, and they could make far more money in the for-profit world.

You have to have a clear goal before you start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities