Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,841,028 times

Advertisements

There's plenty of discussions about which public universities are the best, the ranking. but how about looking at at the states and their aggregate groupings of public institutions. How would you rank the states or, short of ranking them, which states do you think have the best public university system(s)?

Obviously California will be on top or close to it on anybody's list, especially on the strength of all those UC's. How about other states? Do states like Virginia (UVa & W&M), Michigan (U-M, MSU), Indiana (IU, Purdue),and Texas (UT, A&M) get high marks for having two really strong public institutions? Does Ohio receive high marks for having some non-flagship universities (like Miami and Ohio) with stellar reputations?

What states do you think are really do the job right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 08:04 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,201 times
1. California, without a doubt in my opinion.

In no order, some other top candidates:

Michigan
Virginia
Texas
New York (SUNYs are pretty strong)
Ohio (biased a bit here)
Florida
Iowa (yes, you read that correctly with U of I and ISU)

Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Every state's situation is so different, I think comparisons are impossible. That said, I'm shocked at Florida being on the list. In the other thread about "leading public universities", only one Florida school, New College of FL, received any mention, and it is not a university but a liberal arts school.

Pennsylvania has an extensive system of state universities.

Colorado, for its size (population, not geographic size) has a good collection of state universities.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Funny how City University of New York (CUNY) gets unjustly ignored considering the accomplishments of both staff and the alumni of City, Queens, Brooklyn Colleges, and the John Jay School.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:

Michigan
Virginia
Texas
Ohio (biased a bit here)
Florida
astute observation on Iowa. Absolutely. You'd be hard pressed to find a rural state (with no major metro areas) that can compete with Iowa in the quality of its public universities. Iowa & ISU are just as you described. Of course, I suppose my "with no major metro areas" is a bit debatable; Chicagoland is clearly a major metro area that is a huge part of UIowa and makes it tick, even if it's technically out-of-state.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Funny how City University of New York (CUNY) gets unjustly ignored considering the accomplishments of both staff and the alumni of City, Queens, Brooklyn Colleges, and the John Jay School.
is CUNY now part of the state system or is it still controlled by NYC? As far as SUNY: great system that has but one major flaw: the absence of a true flagship institution, a high profile university.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Every state's situation is so different, I think comparisons are impossible. That said, I'm shocked at Florida being on the list. In the other thread about "leading public universities", only one Florida school, New College of FL, received any mention, and it is not a university but a liberal arts school.

Pennsylvania has an extensive system of state universities.

Colorado, for its size (population, not geographic size) has a good collection of state universities.
from my understanding florida has some really good programs for funding in-state university educations...lots of good scholarships for good students attending FL public universities. that could have something to do with it

Miami (oh) and Ohio have "stellar reputations"???

Old 09-11-2013, 12:22 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,017,052 times
Quote:

Michigan
Virginia
Texas
Ohio (biased a bit here)
Florida
Only if they get a grip on that funding debacle.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:01 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
There's plenty of discussions about which public universities are the best, the ranking. but how about looking at at the states and their aggregate groupings of public institutions. How would you rank the states or, short of ranking them, which states do you think have the best public university system(s)?

Obviously California will be on top or close to it on anybody's list, especially on the strength of all those UC's. How about other states? Do states like Virginia (UVa & W&M), Michigan (U-M, MSU), Indiana (IU, Purdue),and Texas (UT, A&M) get high marks for having two really strong public institutions? Does Ohio receive high marks for having some non-flagship universities (like Miami and Ohio) with stellar reputations?

What states do you think are really do the job right?
I think New York or California. New York doesn't have a flagship state university, but it does have a lot of good quality collges/universities. I'd rather have a half dozen or more really good, affordable schools to choose from than have one or two great schools and a bunch of not so great schools.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm from NY and have gone to a SUNY, but I have to admit that I have never quite understood what a CUNY is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities