Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 AM

628 posts, read 1,389,731 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am ColorsWolf and I have just joined the U.S.A. Navy.~

I plan on using my pay to learn many things: one of these things is Acrobatics.~

I know there are colleges for Acrobatics as I have seen them online.~

My questions are:

How common are colleges for Acrobatics now?

Do you they generally start you off with a good foundation in Gymnastics?

Are there colleges that take a good long time to properly train you and to make sure you are taught in-depth enough before proceeding to more advanced classes?

Do some colleges offer additional classes to supplement your main Acrobatics classes for subjects that are not covered by the classes you are already taking: such as classes on how to move and climb like a monkey in the wilderness (I'm serious) and how to move in an urban setting like Parkour, if there are not already covered by the classes for Acrobatics?

Do Acrobatics' classes or Gymnastics' classes cover climbing?~

Comment: In case you are wondering, I want to be able to move with speed and efficiency in ANY environment WITHOUT reliance upon tools other than my own body.~

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 09-08-2013 at 02:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 12:00 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Consider Florida State University. It has its own circus!

FSU - The FSU Flying High Circus

However, there is no "major" in circus. It's a voluntary activity.

Perhaps you should start by looking into gymnastics programs.

Some hints about parkour here:

The Definitive Guide to Parkour For Beginners | Nerd Fitness

There are rock climbing schools just about everywhere there are rocks to climb.

You will need to seek out individual people who will teach you the skills you are looking for. It's unlikely that all those folks will be found in a "college."

Old 09-09-2013, 02:12 PM

293 posts, read 720,188 times
Just about any College student paying off student loans is an acrobat in my book regardless on which school she/he went to.....=)

Old 09-09-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Consider Florida State University. It has its own circus!

FSU - The FSU Flying High Circus

However, there is no "major" in circus. It's a voluntary activity.

Perhaps you should start by looking into gymnastics programs.

Some hints about parkour here:

The Definitive Guide to Parkour For Beginners | Nerd Fitness

There are rock climbing schools just about everywhere there are rocks to climb.

You will need to seek out individual people who will teach you the skills you are looking for. It's unlikely that all those folks will be found in a "college."
Thank you so much!~ ^_^ I'm not used to helpful answers, mainly I'm used to insults from random people for no apparent reason.~

I'm glad this wasn't the case this time!~

Another question: is Acrobatics really practical as far as working towards my main goal: being able to move in any environment with efficiency and adaptability?

I'm concerned that it is only practical in only artificial environments designed for it, like only in gyms and competitions or can it really be applied anywhere to anything?~

Old 09-09-2013, 03:04 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Thank you so much!~ ^_^ I'm not used to helpful answers, mainly I'm used to insults from random people for no apparent reason.~

I'm glad this wasn't the case this time!~

Another question: is Acrobatics really practical as far as working towards my main goal: being able to move in any environment with efficiency and adaptability?

I'm concerned that it is only practical in only artificial environments designed for it, like only in gyms and competitions or can it really be applied anywhere to anything?~
It does not sound to me like you are really interested in acrobatics as such. When I think of acrobatics, I think of Cirque du Soleil or Chinese acrobats, primarily entertainers.

The Parkour link shows guys doing what you are describing in an urban environment. Some of the moves presume predictable surfaces. Jumping onto and over walls would not be the same as jumping onto a rock and off onto a surface that you could not see beforehand, for example. Some of the Parkour moves in the video I have seen gymnasts do, so certainly training in gymnastics could help someone in Parkour. Rock climbing would, of course, be applicable to the outdoors, and I am sure that some of the skills used there could be transferred to an urban environment.

In any event, what you are trying to do will almost certainly require a high degree of physical fitness. I am sure there is someone in the Navy who will be happy to get you started on that. Then envision the types of environments you would like to tackle and learn the skills you can see being needed.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It does not sound to me like you are really interested in acrobatics as such. When I think of acrobatics, I think of Cirque du Soleil or Chinese acrobats, primarily entertainers.

The Parkour link shows guys doing what you are describing in an urban environment. Some of the moves presume predictable surfaces. Jumping onto and over walls would not be the same as jumping onto a rock and off onto a surface that you could not see beforehand, for example. Some of the Parkour moves in the video I have seen gymnasts do, so certainly training in gymnastics could help someone in Parkour. Rock climbing would, of course, be applicable to the outdoors, and I am sure that some of the skills used there could be transferred to an urban environment.

In any event, what you are trying to do will almost certainly require a high degree of physical fitness. I am sure there is someone in the Navy who will be happy to get you started on that. Then envision the types of environments you would like to tackle and learn the skills you can see being needed.
Thank you!~ I'm wondering if people are still teaching the skills that may have been "lost" to our species or skills "we never had" that many of our closest genetic relative species have, the exception is the still existing primal-like tribes I've heard can climb trees like monkeys do with careful skilled control of their own bodies?~

Old 09-10-2013, 06:02 PM

EDIT: Never mind, I'm looking further into Parkour and it turns out that it can be adapted to any environment because all it is literally natural movement.~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities