Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 03:32 PM

12 posts, read 17,207 times

Advertisements

Tier 1 meaning at least top 100 in the US.

How long does it take for most of them to graduate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 03:37 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I have no idea what you regard as the top 100 but in California the average CSU student is taking six years for a BA. Overcrowding (can't get classes they need) is a big problem, plus a lot of students have to work part time.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:49 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
I think that on average it will take students in public universities longer to get their degrees than students in private universities. I don't think ranking has all that much to do with it. I think the primary reason that students in public universities take longer to get their degrees is that they cannot always get the classes they need, when they need them.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:00 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think that on average it will take students in public universities longer to get their degrees than students in private universities. I don't think ranking has all that much to do with it. I think the primary reason that students in public universities take longer to get their degrees is that they cannot always get the classes they need, when they need them.
Agreed. At my top 40 private school, it was incredibly uncommon for students to take longer than 4 years to graduate with a BA/BS. There were typically extenuating circumstances - major change in junior year (after the economy crashed in 2008, saw a lot of people staying an extra year to pick up a computer science major), medical issues, etc. It's much more common to graduate in 3 years.

The big difference I saw was that if you have a senior who needs a class to graduate, the school will move heaven and earth to get you in even if it's filled. So many of my friends at large state schools ended up never getting off the waitlist for essential classes, so they took 5 years to complete their program.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
When statistics are compiled, they look at six year grad rates. I think in reality, most graduate in 4-5. Even with transferring and losing a few credits, my DD graduated in 4 1/2 from a tier 1 uni.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:53 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I know plenty of twenty-somethings, as they are friends of my kids. About half and half... private vs public.

All but two graduated in 3.5 to 4 years.
One took 5 years with his co-op program at RIT.
Another took 5.5 with some dual program that got her out with a double bachelors and a masters.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I would say our experience is the same as Pitt's...most kids we know graduate within 4 years, give or take a semester. The ones that don't either changed majors late in the game or were in a program that was designed to take 5 years (BA/MA or similar). With all of the AP credits available and what not, kids that want to go to those huge universities should be taking advantage of those credits to get their class standing higher for the registration advantage. I also think that the overall population at smaller, private schools is more motivated to get done "on time" and at the huge U's you have a lot more people that never planned on getting done in 4 years for various reasons, working and going to school usually. I do know some kids that finished in 4 years at big' U's but took several classes each summer in order to do that too. It has nothing to do with this mythical "tier" of schools.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:36 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
Both my sons graduated from tier 1 universities (both large public schools). Son #1 did it in 4 years, and that included taking one semester off to do an internship in DC (only 1 credit hour given for it, so it didn't really help towards graduating). His last semester, he was taking more hours than he needed, just so he could be classified as a full time student. I believe all he really needed was 8 or 9 hours, but took 12. No summer classes. One class online in a mini-mester over the winter break, only because he had to have it and it wasn't being taught the next semester, and he was scheduled to graduate then, He wasn't going to stay around a whole semester more just for 1 class. He did place out of quite a few hours with AP testing.

Son #2 graduated in 4 years, with 2 degrees. He placed out of a few hours with AP testing, but not a lot. He did one summer semester abroad which counted 9 hours, I believe.

Both of their schools offered some kind of incentives in the form of money back after graduation or something to students who graduated in 4 years because the schools were overcrowded and they had too many "professional students" clogging up the pipeline. Neither of my kids were eligible for this however, because it only applied to instate kids and both mine were out of state students. They would have loved to have had our out of state dollars for as many years as they were willing to stay around.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:55 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
I did a google for you
Fast Facts

Also withinthe article are links that may prove3 useful to you. When asking questions like this, it doesn't hurt to google or bing.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:26 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Agreed. At my top 40 private school, it was incredibly uncommon for students to take longer than 4 years to graduate with a BA/BS. There were typically extenuating circumstances - major change in junior year (after the economy crashed in 2008, saw a lot of people staying an extra year to pick up a computer science major), medical issues, etc. It's much more common to graduate in 3 years.

The big difference I saw was that if you have a senior who needs a class to graduate, the school will move heaven and earth to get you in even if it's filled. So many of my friends at large state schools ended up never getting off the waitlist for essential classes, so they took 5 years to complete their program.
Any studies done on this? I have never had an issue or heard of my friends having one getting into a class. Maybe an issue at lower rated publics who lack some resources?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities