Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I don't mock liberal arts degrees. They are great, well-rounded preparation for life. If I could have financially taken a general studies degree, I think I would have.

I mock people who get liberal arts degrees and then whine about not getting a job, or not getting one with sufficient income to pay their student loans.
Case in point.....

Average starting salary for our Liberal Arts degreed grad is $60,000-70,000...not too worried about him paying any loans he may have to take to complete his degree--even if he maxed out his federal loans....in a field with a 0% unemployment rate

Our other liberal arts grad will continue her education and will expect a starting salary when done in the $250,000 ish range...

you were saying????

Old 01-13-2014, 09:31 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Case in point.....

Average starting salary for our Liberal Arts degreed grad is $60,000-70,000...not too worried about him paying any loans he may have to take to complete his degree--even if he maxed out his federal loans....in a field with a 0% unemployment rate

Our other liberal arts grad will continue her education and will expect a starting salary when done in the $250,000 ish range...

you were saying????
It's not too smart to just assume that your children will just reach the pinnacle of whatever it is they are doing. (Actuaries do not have a 0% unemployment rate, it's tied to the financial indsutry). They are your children. You should support them no matter what happens to them.

What is your daughter in undergrad? You just assume she will go through DMD/DDS or MD and become a radiologist and get fellowships and be making 250K 12 years from now? Lol.

Not the right way to approach things.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:51 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Why do you say that? Why are you so sure I won't get a good job?
Because young people who think like you do about your future career are a dime a dozen. I'm basing this off what you wrote in your OP, nothing against you personally.

Picking a major simply because you enjoy it without carefully assessing its market value and earnings potential in the real world is a sure path to financial struggle and disappointment. Decades of experience and observation show that this is how things actually work.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default People who look down on liberal arts majors are foolish.

Liberal Arts degrees (at least the traditional areas of study) generally require LOTS of reading for comprehension and LOTS of coherent writing for specific meaning. These are skills in short supply among the general population. One need look no further than the posts in the City-Data forums to gather that.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Case in point.....

you were saying????
Good for your liberal arts grad. I mock people who get a liberal arts degree and THEN whine about not getting a job, or not getting one with sufficient income to pay their student loans.

If your liberal arts degree gets a job and it has sufficient income to pay their loans, the statement doesn't apply.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It's not too smart to just assume that your children will just reach the pinnacle of whatever it is they are doing. (Actuaries do not have a 0% unemployment rate, it's tied to the financial indsutry). They are your children. You should support them no matter what happens to them.

What is your daughter in undergrad? You just assume she will go through DMD/DDS or MD and become a radiologist and get fellowships and be making 250K 12 years from now? Lol.

Not the right way to approach things.
According to every survey I've seen there is a 0% unemployment rate in the actuary field--maybe they are lying?? Yes, my daughter is planning on becoming a doctor or dentist, most likely dentist (Oral Surgeon really). It's their choice and I do support them. I really don't understand what you mean by that but whatever. How is this not the right way to approach this? Seriously, they are college students studying these fields by their choice...and their 4.0's speak for their commitment to follow these paths .

Old 01-13-2014, 11:49 AM

83 posts, read 194,159 times
I have a degree in Information technology (STEM) and a degree in Psychology and even though I work in IT my psych degree actually helped me to climb the ladder and added a 20% salary increase because it made me stand out from the crowd. Before I went back and received my psych degree I was badly introverted to the point I had trouble taking to folks but now I'm a go getter and can BS my way in any conversation or situation.

All degrees have value and they all give you skills, how you use these skills is up to you.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:02 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
According to every survey I've seen there is a 0% unemployment rate in the actuary field--maybe they are lying?? Yes, my daughter is planning on becoming a doctor or dentist, most likely dentist (Oral Surgeon really). It's their choice and I do support them. I really don't understand what you mean by that but whatever. How is this not the right way to approach this? Seriously, they are college students studying these fields by their choice...and their 4.0's speak for their commitment to follow these paths .
Your kids just want to be an MD and an actuary. That's it.

You're like "My daughter is going to be an oral surgeon and is going to make 250K." and she's like 19 years old.

Anything can happen. Lots of people have 4.0s.

At the very least, I would say it's not wise to approach people in real life with that perspective.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:15 PM

158 posts, read 333,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introv78 View Post
i have a degree in information technology (stem) and a degree in psychology and even though i work in it my psych degree actually helped me to climb the ladder and added a 20% salary increase because it made me stand out from the crowd. Before i went back and received my psych degree i was badly introverted to the point i had trouble taking to folks but now i'm a go getter and can bs my way in any conversation or situation.

All degrees have value and they all give you skills, how you use these skills is up to you.

+1!

Old 01-13-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Your kids just want to be an MD and an actuary. That's it.

You're like "My daughter is going to be an oral surgeon and is going to make 250K." and she's like 19 years old.

Anything can happen. Lots of people have 4.0s.

At the very least, I would say it's not wise to approach people in real life with that perspective.
What perspective--that my kids want a career???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities