Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 12:40 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,799 times

Advertisements

I really feel like I screwed up in college. I didn't do well in O chem, so I gave up the pre med path. I really regret that. I have a 3.2 GPA from a low ranking public school (Ranks the 60s on US new rankings).

My mom called me earlier today to tell me how much of a failure I am after a girl who lived in my neighborhood (and did worse than me in high school) got accepted to a medical school in Costa Rica. I don't know, I think she's right. Anything that doesn't lead to a MD is pretty much worthless now a days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 05:30 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Anyone with a pulse can get "accepted" to foreign medical schools....

Econ and CS--sure you can do a lot with that degree and make a very good living. Even with just computer science you have opportunities for some pretty high paying jobs in computer programming. Add the econ and you will be attractive to the finance field, look into actuarial science--you would need to add math but you have probably already taken quite a few of those classes. Go spend some time in the career center at your school. Stop looking at rankings--60th out of 4000+ is hardly "low ranking"....ignore your mom's comments...

Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 AM

493 posts, read 980,810 times
I was a Creative Writing and Computer Science double and definitely don't feel that it was a waste, I've got a great job that I love as a computer programmer.

I think the big issue is what you enjoy, did you enjoy either the econ or the CS side of things? If you enjoy both, there is a huge market for computational finance, and I mean huge. If you enjoyed the CS side more than econ software engineering is a heavily growing field. The great thing about CS (and I am biased since I'm a CS professional) is it pairs well with every other discipline.

Med School may have the prestige, as does law school, but more and more graduates aren't getting the jobs they expect.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:38 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Your mom is not helpful, OP. You're not a failure. LOTS of people struggle and drop out of Org. Chemistry. And I think you're doing a great job of picking yourself up, dusting yourself off, and forging ahead with new goals! I think both those degrees are winners. Doing a double major or double degree will make you that much more versatile. You can't lose with Computer Science.

Being an MD these days can be a nightmare in terms of the insurance bureaucracy. And insurance and the growing government sector involved (more patients on Medicaid, now) are cutting payments to doctors. It's potentially a much more stressful field than CS.

Don't let your mom lay all that negativity on you. Stay positive, and give your new major/s your all. Best of luck!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:59 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
If I knew that a doctor that I was seeing went to a Caribbean med school I can honestly say that I would never ever go back. As someone else mentioned almost anyone with a pulse can get in if they're willing to pay.

Now back to the topic, double major in Econ and Comp Sci from a 60s ranked school is alright. Plenty of others went to lesser schools and are doing fine in their careers. What you want to do now going forward is to work harder and try to get some real world experience. Believe everyone when they tell you that internships, etc.. do matter. You also didn't say whether you've graduated yet? With that type of degree you can certainly become a programmer, or maybe work as a programmer in the financial industry. Most employers in finance would view you more favorably since at least they can assume that you know basics like what a stock is, basic economic metrics, etc. Once you get a few years of experience you might want to look to get your masters from a more highly ranked school to pad your resume.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Anyone with a pulse can get "accepted" to foreign medical schools
Are you sure?
Is a pulse actually required or is the ability to qualify for student loans the only criteria?

Old 03-05-2014, 08:41 PM

n/a posts
you shouldn't go to college to "do something useful".

just do it. college or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities