Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 03:19 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In what state do public schools teach foreign language in elementary and middle school?? That usually only exists in private schools. Most school systems only require two years of foreign language in highschool.
Many, many public schools offer elementary/middle school foreign languages. At our kids' school they could take Spanish or Mandarin starting in 2nd grade (well they could now, they didn't go to that school then). Our kids graduated from high school with 7 years of a foreign language, which got them credit for 300 level college Spanish. Almost all of the schools around us have at least middle school languages. Heck, we had FL in middle school when I was in school.....all public schools....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 03:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In what state do public schools teach foreign language in elementary and middle school?? That usually only exists in private schools. Most school systems only require two years of foreign language in highschool.
Here, schools are not obligated to offer foreign language at the elementary and middle school level. There are some charters that are immersion schools, foreign languages at the elementary and middle level aren't standard. They are offered in our high schools, but not required (though most college-bound students do elect to take at least two years). I took two years in HS, but it was an elective.

In the state I last taught in, it was not commonplace except at the high school level either, except for the immersion charters.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Here, schools are not obligated to offer foreign language at the elementary and middle school level. There are some charters that are immersion schools, foreign languages at the elementary and middle level aren't standard. They are offered in our high schools, but not required (though most college-bound students do elect to take at least two years). I took two years in HS, but it was an elective.

In the state I last taught in, it was not commonplace except at the high school level either, except for the immersion charters.
Our high school had a requirement that kids take 2 years of a FL to graduate, most schools around us have that requirement but the state itself does not. Most kids go on to college, 90+%, so they would be taking the classes anyway.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:43 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,550,488 times
In my NYC public elementary/middle schools we had required foreign language classes in the 80s. Mostly Spanish, but I think French was an option as well.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Our high school had a requirement that kids take 2 years of a FL to graduate, most schools around us have that requirement but the state itself does not. Most kids go on to college, 90+%, so they would be taking the classes anyway.
Yeah, not so where I grew up, and it continues to be the case.

They've also limited the foreign languages that are electives in my old district. When I was there, you had a choice of Spanish, French, German, and Latin. By my sophomore year, Latin had been demoted to an independent study you had to be specially approved to do, and after I graduated, they cut German. A few years back, French was on the chopping block, but they successfully fought to keep it. So, yeah, now just French and Spanish.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:06 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Not college. Elementary school.
Agreed wholeheartedly. We did not start foreign language classes until 7th grade (and even that wasn't mandatory) and it was just either Spanish or French 1 split into 2 years. It was so slow paced that had I not had an inspiration Spanish teacher my freshman year of college, I probably would have only done the bare minimum. Instead, I took advantage of block scheduling and went to Spanish 7 including 2 AP Spanish classes. Even after that and another year of Spanish in college, I was in over my head when I spent a semester of college studying in Mexico. We need more foreign language and to start it earlier because learning languages opens up the brain to better understand English, math, music, and computer science.

My college REQUIRED at least 3 years just to apply and most got in with 5 or 6 levels of a language. The only way to pass out of the foreign language requirement within college (3 terms) was to have passed either the AP, IB, or an in-person exam. And even then, most non-science programs (including business) required 2 further terms beyond the university minimum.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:28 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Question is fairly self-explanatory. What are your thoughts?

Many do. Mine did, but I fulfilled the requirement in high school by earning a college preparatory diploma.

In general, outside of one's major; I favor a completely open college curriculum, where students complete their major requirements and any cognate courses; but are free to explore their interests in depth.

I'm not a fan of "core requirements". I think they result in students who begrudgingly take a distributional requirement, and are unable to learn about subjects that really excite them.

The results are students who are dilettantes.

In terms of foreign languages, I think that they need to be introduced earlier than they are and taught in a more organic way. The current method of foreign language pedagogy does not appear to be effectual.

I studied Chinese. (Mandarin) and I remember about three words of it.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:34 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
No.

Many have it as an entrance requirement as it is.

However, it's a bit of a joke. The 2-3 years in HS doesn't really get you anywhere and honestly most people simply don't need it.

I'd rather a student free electives for something that has interest - see no point in forcing a foreign language on a college student

Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 AM

161 posts, read 172,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Question is fairly self-explanatory. What are your thoughts?
I would say yes, it should. It does make liberal arts degrees slightly more marketable. Usually the only people that I find that have a problem with this are either xenophobic or lazy students. At my university, people would rather major in General Studies than major in a liberal art such as English, History, Political Science, because they dont' want to have to take a foreigh language. I mean, how hard is it really? Go to class, pay attention, go home and memorize..it's really not that hard.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
I would say yes, it should. It does make liberal arts degrees slightly more marketable. Usually the only people that I find that have a problem with this are either xenophobic or lazy students. At my university, people would rather major in General Studies than major in a liberal art such as English, History, Political Science, because they dont' want to have to take a foreigh language. I mean, how hard is it really? Go to class, pay attention, go home and memorize..it's really not that hard.
Maybe you need to go to a better school?! That was far from my experience and I would be very hesitant to label a large group as either xenophoic or lazy simply because they don't feel that foreign language should be a requirement while in college

I was pretty much the only person in my group that wasn't an engineering student - the student population in that major was very diverse and none were either xenophobic or lazy ........... just not interested

I picked up a double major in finance & economics, while spending my last 2 years of school working 25-30 hours a week on top of the 20 credit terms I was taking in class .... I actually did have some interest in taking Italian at my school, but the offerings were narrow and it didn't work in my schedule - so I'm glad it wasn't something that was forced which would have messed up my course load within my major .... I just slid my open electives to other things of interest that did fit, typically history classes .... I also studied some Norwegian on my own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities