Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 03:55 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there is anything you can do about colleges that lie about placement and salaries that get you to invest your time and money in the programs? Is there any regulation at all of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 03:56 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Why specifically are they lying about? How will you prove they are lying?

Old 03-04-2014, 04:03 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I was wondering if there is anything you can do about colleges that lie about placement and salaries that get you to invest your time and money in the programs? Is there any regulation at all of this?
Most of that data is from surveys from graduates....

Old 03-04-2014, 04:06 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
What likely happened:

School spokesman: "College graduates make on average $$$ more than high school graduates in lifetime earnings".

What the student heard: "We (the school) will guarantee you will make $100K/year immediately upon graduation in what ever field you choose to major in".

Old 03-04-2014, 04:14 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Well for one, I had a recruiter call me saying "there were more jobs than graduates". There was no survey taken and it is clearly a lie. Then their website said that according to the BLS, the starting salary is X amount. But when you go to the BLS it does not say that much and it only lists average salary for everyone which is still lower. They specifically bolded "starting."

Old 03-04-2014, 07:18 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What likely happened:

School spokesman: "College graduates make on average $$$ more than high school graduates in lifetime earnings".

What the student heard: "We (the school) will guarantee you will make $100K/year immediately upon graduation in what ever field you choose to major in".
Some colleges have a list of careers with the median salary given. College graduates already know they'll most likely be getting paid much more than their counterparts who simply have a high school degree. That's one reason they may have gone to college in the first place. If you're wary of the credibility of the figures, then Occupation Outlook Handbook has some believable statistics on almost all careers/jobs.

To the OP: That reminds me of an article I read where one school lied about it's acceptance rate to make it seem more appealing and to receive more applications since the acceptance rate implies that it's competitive or simply receives many applications. Is there anyone who cares about this? I doubt people would pay much attention to things such as that. They'd probably be more focused on the quality of the school, in general, such as the professors, equipment, facilities, etc. Although, people may be different and choose based on other things.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:30 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Well for one, I had a recruiter call me saying "there were more jobs than graduates". "
IMO if a recruiter (admission counselor) is calling you that is a big red flag. Unless you are a star athlete or similar, counselors do not call.
Did you ask to talk to any of the recent grads that had these jobs and was making great money because there were more jobs than graduates? Or did you just believe the counselor?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:52 AM

47 posts, read 98,424 times
You can look into the law schools that were sued for placement number fudging a few years ago. From what i remember, those cases didn't get very far. And yes, as others have stated, the information they publish is directly from student surveys, but not sure if there is a governing body overseeing this process. Most schools are very mindful of publishing the data as accurately as possible, so as not to open themselves up to lawsuits.
That begin said, do not base life decisions based solely on someone else's numbers.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
IMO if a recruiter (admission counselor) is calling you that is a big red flag. Unless you are a star athlete or similar, counselors do not call.
Did you ask to talk to any of the recent grads that had these jobs and was making great money because there were more jobs than graduates? Or did you just believe the counselor?
Why do you say that? Admissions counselors call prospective students all the time. It's pretty standard practice...and not just athletes--coaches call athletes, not ad comms. Having had our phone ringing off the hook for the past 2 years, they call plenty!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:11 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I agree with golfgal. My kids were all called, sometimes several times and they were not athletes. They did apply to colleges that we felt would want them more for other reasons, but nothing really amazing.

I'm not saying that some recruiters don't lie over the phone, but for the most part, I think they are just normal people trying to get prospective students into their school, saying what they think will work. As with anything... caveat emptor.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities