Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:36 AM

874 posts, read 1,651,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can't go to college without having taken the SAT.
I know of university's that label the SAT as optional. I'm going to one now that states it as such, so I didn't even give my scores. The exception is that I'm a transfer student. If you go to community college and transfer over, they don't care about your SAT or ACT. They just looked at my GPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 01:03 PM

746 posts, read 868,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
I know of university's that label the SAT as optional. I'm going to one now that states it as such, so I didn't even give my scores. The exception is that I'm a transfer student. If you go to community college and transfer over, they don't care about your SAT or ACT. They just looked at my GPA.
Yeah somebody on here told me you can't go to college without taking the SAT but if you go to community college you don't need it. I said that I don't see the point of attending a regular college except for all the fun and social reasons. Because you can get an education by being a transfer student AND it'd save you a huge load of money. Ally's you'd have to worry about is how you make friends and date since you missed freshman college year. You said you are a transfer student, how'd that turn out for you?

Old 03-10-2014, 01:39 PM

45,556 posts, read 60,809,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
Yeah somebody on here told me you can't go to college without taking the SAT but if you go to community college you don't need it. I said that I don't see the point of attending a regular college except for all the fun and social reasons. Because you can get an education by being a transfer student AND it'd save you a huge load of money. Ally's you'd have to worry about is how you make friends and date since you missed freshman college year. You said you are a transfer student, how'd that turn out for you?
You probably should sit out at least a year before going on to college. I see both preparation reasons and more personal ones developing for you.

Have you talked to anyone other than anonymous strangers on an internet forum about your plans (and beliefs)? I don't mean your parents but a Guidance or Career Counselor at your high school? Graduates who have gone on to college? Classmates? Teachers? Or are you just kind of adlibbing since it's now March and graduation is looming?

You are correct that many community colleges don't require the SAT but most will require a placement exam without the SAT.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You probably should sit out at least a year before going on to college. I see both preparation reasons and more personal ones developing for you.

Have you talked to anyone other than anonymous strangers on an internet forum about your plans (and beliefs)? I don't mean your parents but a Guidance or Career Counselor at your high school? Graduates who have gone on to college? Classmates? Teachers? Or are you just kind of ad libbing since it's now March and graduation is looming?

You are correct that many community colleges don't require the SAT but most will require a placement exam without the SAT.
I've talked to my school counselor and friends who just have the same problem usually. If I sit out for a year that will make everyday life very difficult for that year. And that $1000 scholarship HAS to be used within 12 months when I get it or else it'll spite, and you can't even give it someone else. It's very inconvenient to have to use a scholarship within a year after graduating high school in my situation. But I still want it just in case I can use it. Stupid time limit my parents aren't rich and $1000 ain't much help.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-10-2014 at 07:25 PM..

Old 03-10-2014, 01:49 PM

Have you completed a FAFSA?

As I said earlier, although a poster from South America disagreed, you're at the stage right now, in March of your Senior year, that you don't have many options.
You will almost certainly have to go to a community college this year. You haven't taken the SAT, you've sent out no applications, you haven't looked at financials, etc.

Just as a note, a 4 year school is not "just parties" and whatever else you believe. Those things are available but, as an adult, you don't have to participate.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:

As I said earlier, although a poster from South America disagreed, you're at the stage right now, in March of your Senior year, that you don't have many options.
You will almost certainly have to go to a community college this year. You haven't taken the SAT, you've sent out no applications, you haven't looked at financials, etc.

Just as a note, a 4 year school is not "just parties" and whatever else you believe. Those things are available but, as an adult, you don't have to participate.
I'd maybe attend to make friends and meet women to be more than friends with (I'm not a player! So I would only be with one woman at a time.)

Old 03-10-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I'd maybe attend to make friends and meet women to be more than friends with (I'm not a player! So I would only be with one woman at a time.)

You don't need to go to college this year.

I bolded the important part of my post. Instead of focusing on that you focused on what I underlined in your response.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
You don't need to go to college this year.

I bolded the important part of my post. Instead of focusing on that you focused on what I underlined in your response.
Oh Yeah
I've had enough of boring life, its time to kick it up! No more being a loser for this guy. Plus alls I've been doing for awhile is sitting at home on the Internet when I'm not at school, its been that way for awhile. But I have a fast metabolism, so I'm not getting fat. My parents (especially my dad) think I need to be going to parties (I'm TOO big on THAT), have more friends (doctor would agree with that probably) and that I should have a girlfriend. I'd love the last two and maybe just a little of the first one, but drinking all night and loud music blaring all night doesn't sound that great to me. My dad told me I have no life which is kind of true lately.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:33 PM

I can't stay at home for a year after I graduate. I think my dad is going back to his HEAVY drinking and even said he might make me go without my medicine because I forgot to call a refill in until last minute. Then he said in a smartass way that he'd get it. Not everyone can stay at their parents home after they graduate from high school. I'll have to be able to fully support myself BEFORE getting a college education! That's going to be hard! I'm screwed! What can I do! I don't think I can join the military cause I read you can't with certain medical problems (mine were listed), so I seem to have ZERO options. I have to leave home, can't go straight to college, have no where to go, no transportation, I'm about to be thrown out in the works COMPLETELY unprepared! What do I do! This is VERY serious!

Old 03-10-2014, 05:26 PM

874 posts, read 1,651,194 times
Quote:

Yes, it has saved me thousands of dollars.

Although, the only reason I went to this community college is because my dad got a job in this city right after I graduated high school. I then completed my core classes while contemplating on a major to choose.

Community college is a good place to try to find what field to go into. I really love English, but I know it's difficult to find a career with it, so I went with a more practical degree.

It's not much of a difference from university's, academically, because a lot of my professors teach at a university as well. When you take classes at a community college, the classes are much smaller too. At a university, there would be hundreds for the CORE classes, while about 30-40 for a community college. Of course, there will be some with even less students. There were about 7 in my Psychology class. You'll also see a lot of older people at a community college. I guess that's because they understand that community college is cheaper and doesn't require much to even go there. It's a good place to improve your GPA in order to get ready to transfer in a year or two after going there.

I'm transferring this Fall to the university, so I can't tell you about the transition.

Last edited by schmidty223; 03-10-2014 at 05:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities