Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:18 PM

123 posts, read 297,080 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm looking to go back to college. I have medical conditions that will likely always keep me from working full time... difficult to find college worth it if it's so hard to find any job out of school let alone one with flexible or part time hours. (10-30 hours a week) I'm unable to stand all day nor do difficult physical work. (heavy lifting, or contorting in odd positions like HVAC workers need to do for example)

Am looking in the range of certificate to bachelors degree programs. Any programs that I could be reasonably confident to make significantly productive contributions in. Especially anything really good for society like healthcare, manufacturing, engineering, etc.. Not so much into marketing, advertising, law, business. I used to get good grades but my physical disabilities have kept me out of the job market. So any recommendations would be highly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 01:00 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,826,931 times
Maybe medical coding and billing? I know some who are able to work at home in this field and they have flexibility in terms of hours. I odn' tknow what type of education you would need for that but it's worth looking into.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:19 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,922,046 times
Bus Driver and some bookkeeping jobs. Bus drivers get paid more than most ppl think.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:59 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,086,987 times
Nursing has a lot of PT work. If you are going to do that, I'd suggest the AAS route rather than BSN, b/c it costs less to do AAS. Less opportunity for advancement, but if you want to work PT, maybe that's not so important.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,462,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Nursing has a lot of PT work. If you are going to do that, I'd suggest the AAS route rather than BSN, b/c it costs less to do AAS. Less opportunity for advancement, but if you want to work PT, maybe that's not so important.
Nursing is pretty physical work....

OP--what are your interests? Most careers will have some kind of PT hours for people with experience but not likely for a new grad. Are you looking for a PT job that you can support yourself on or as a second income?

Old 03-15-2014, 06:04 AM

759 posts, read 3,152,429 times
Occupational Therapy assistant programs. Pays well, 2 years plus a summer at a community college. Make sure that the program is certified. Many registry jobs (as needed). There is no bachelor's degree, you need a master's degree to practice.

Not sure how the career field is for dieticians, but it's not very physical.

Pharmacy tech pays pretty good I think, it's only 3-4 mos of school, but you are probably on your feet more.

Don't do medical coding, you need experience to get in and the jobs are hard to come by.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Occupational Therapy assistant programs. Pays well, 2 years plus a summer at a community college. Make sure that the program is certified. Many registry jobs (as needed). There is no bachelor's degree, you need a master's degree to practice.

Not sure how the career field is for dieticians, but it's not very physical.

Pharmacy tech pays pretty good I think, it's only 3-4 mos of school, but you are probably on your feet more.

Don't do medical coding, you need experience to get in and the jobs are hard to come by.
Dieticians have to have at least a BS, and more often, an MS to get hired. There may be some sort of "assistant" type programs, but the OP would have to do a search. There's also Physical Therapy assistants.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:13 PM

759 posts, read 3,152,429 times
OT assistants (Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant) do have a formal program and they make good money for an associate's degree--usually starting in the $20 /hour range. Also, many part time opportunities available since they work in rehab, hospitals, and other institutions.

Physical therapy would be too physical for the OP, especially since the population has gotten older and heavier.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:51 PM

123 posts, read 297,080 times
Thank you everyone for the replies. Some interesting ideas to read about. Desk jobs in healthcare are good ideas. Bus driver too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

OP--what are your interests? Most careers will have some kind of PT hours for people with experience but not likely for a new grad. Are you looking for a PT job that you can support yourself on or as a second income?
Hard to answer that but I like economics, computers, urban planning, politics, robotics, AI, medical technology, maybe engineering.

I like being outside in all weather, but too stressed out by a lot of highway driving (rules out truck driving), can't heavy lift (so no taxi, delivery driver), and can't do other physically demanding things. (HVAC) I'm fairly useless, hah! Anything involving a low amount of driving and mostly sitting down outdoors would be great but I doubt such a job exists. Would be looking for a sole income... I'm used to scraping by on a small budget.

Jobs like occupational therapy would be great but I can't stay on my feet for long. Sadly, anything involving standing in place for more than 20% of the time or walking for more than 40% of the time would be too much.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post

There are some nursing jobs that are less physical than others. If you work in a nursing home, you do a lot with writing care plans and giving medications, and the CNAs do the heavy lifting. Hospitals, doctor's offices and other clinics are very much on your feet type jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities