Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:23 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,437,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
A co-worker's daughter was accepted to the University of Hartford's PT program from a CC with a 3.0. So it does happen.

Of all of the mistakes I've made in my life the biggest is taking advice/guidance from experts.
Your right it does happen

Old 03-20-2014, 01:37 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,601,077 times
OP, I don't know what to say. I've heard that teachers in K-12 are facing similar problems, and I think it's kind of sad and really just cheats the students who do want to learn. It looks like you do have some options, and I think you should talk to the dean and find out what your options are. If the students are working, that is one thing, but if they are just goofing off, disrespecting teachers, and expecting to make the grade by attendance, you should make an example. No one wants to study in that atmosphere; it cheats the motivated students. I tried to get a certificate in a continuing education program once, but there were so many of those recent high school graduates or recent CC enrollees there that it was difficult for the instructor to teach. It honestly felt like high school. The students would chat with one another during class; there was a little bullying, and it was a generally unpleasant atmosphere. The instructor was equally unpleasant and a bit of a bully, too. It was certainly not what I expected.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:51 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,521,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
They may not "consider" it as such, but I do know that when completion rate stats are collected for 4 year colleges, they are only for freshmen who enter a particular college and then graduate from it. Therefore, if you transfer, you are considered a drop out. I just made an educated guess that CC stats are collected in a similar fashion. I mean, you can say you're transferring to a 4 year college, and then never go!
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Because of new federal funding mechanisms, if someone transfers from a community college to a 4 year college before getting an associates, it is considered a failure. The CC is punished for it, even though that student may go on to graduate at the 4 year institution.

It doesn't make any sense.
I wasn't sure how they calculated the statistics, but I was sure there is no way they could accurately calculate this statistic. There is a reason why I've seen a few community colleges pester their former students to come back and finish after completing their bachelor's degrees or even while they're working on them. It's useless on the student's end if he/she already graduated, especially if the associate's is going to be in the same subject as the bachelor's, but the community colleges are trying to boost their graduation rates. It's called "reverse transfer."

Quote:
It could also help two-year institutions financially because they would get to count reverse-transfer graduates in their figures. A revamped funding formula rewards colleges for higher graduation rates.
http://diverseeducation.com/article/60071/

Alamo Colleges : Northwest Vista College: Future Students : Transfer Students

Quote:
Community-college officials must have a special love-hate relationship with the motivated, successful students who leave their institutions with a good number of credits, but no degree, to transfer to four-year institutions. Such students should be counted as institutional successes rather than failures, but until recently, little could be done to officially record them as such.
Reverse-Transfer Programs Reward Students and Colleges Alike - Commentary - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Reverse Transfer

Old 03-20-2014, 02:22 PM

Almost all Cc's have transfer programs with the universities with there local universities for those who havent graduated with an Associates and those that complete there Associates and graduate and then attend the last few years at the University.....I cant tell you how common the 2nd year transfer is as we have gone to so many sessions at different colleges...

Old 03-20-2014, 03:03 PM

5,420 posts, read 6,522,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Almost all Cc's have transfer programs with the universities with there local universities for those who havent graduated with an Associates and those that complete there Associates and graduate and then attend the last few years at the University.....I cant tell you how common the 2nd year transfer is as we have gone to so many sessions at different colleges...
Sure, the credits transfer, if that's what you mean.

But the institution has to count the student as a drop-out. Because university aid is being tied to retention (at least in my state) cc transfers get counted as failures. (Although I don't teach at a CC so it doesn't effect me.)

Old 03-20-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Sure, the credits transfer, if that's what you mean.

But the institution has to count the student as a drop-out. Because university aid is being tied to retention (at least in my state) cc transfers get counted as failures. (Although I don't teach at a CC so it doesn't effect me.)
that is interesting I didn't know that, because our CC's encourage the kids to do the sophomore year transfer depending on what it is they are going for..some of the Universities here for my son's major are a 3 year program so to speak meaning that they do there pre-req's as a freshman, then the sophomore year they apply to the program and then do the pre-req's for their major and then junior year they start the program...That is not uncommon from all the schools I've spoken to and visited with our son..His friends are tranferring into Rutgers in their sophomore year in the fall as well, from the CC both business major's they do not like the CC as they find it is like HS so they took their required math and science at the CC level and have only 1 or 2 math classes that are needed they will just take at Rutgers...Again the Numbers are quite high for Transfer Students at both levels, with an Assoc Degree earned and those that haven't earned them and decided not to stay at the CC level and attend a University...

Old 03-20-2014, 05:33 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,136,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
A co-worker's daughter was accepted to the University of Hartford's PT program from a CC with a 3.0. So it does happen.

Of all of the mistakes I've made in my life the biggest is taking advice/guidance from experts.
Something tells me she probably got into this:
Physical Therapy (combined BS/DPT) | University of Hartford

It's a combined BS/DPT program. One doesn't usually go straight from CC (or 2 years of college) to PT school.

That's great!

Old 03-20-2014, 05:50 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,809,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
He is a freshman in CC 1st yr...I never said he will get into PT or PA school with a 3.0 I did say he has a 3.2 right now and was accepted to 2 universities so far, for is Undergrad so pls go back and re read my post...he has 3 more years before he goes to Grad school, and since you do not know how motivated he is you have no business judging...and the fact that my son has over come Alot we are very proud...
I live near Georgian Court, I teach in at a nearby CC, and another local uni. I know and respect a couple of the profs in the bio department. Aside from that, by all that is holy, please do not send your child to GCU. Aside from the fact that it has been co-ed for about 5 mins, it is very expensive, and does not have as good a reputation as Stockton. If your son is at BCC or OCC he has a chance to go to Rutgers, which has a much better reputation. Just something to think about, especially with such a competitive field.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:56 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,023,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Because that is the kind of kid you get in community colleges.....the motivated students go to 4 year colleges...contrary to what you read on this board.....
There are many motivated and unmotivated students in community colleges and 4 year universities. My guess is that you're simply many years removed from college and just really don't know what it's like.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I live near Georgian Court, I teach in at a nearby CC, and another local uni. I know and respect a couple of the profs in the bio department. Aside from that, by all that is holy, please do not send your child to GCU. Aside from the fact that it has been co-ed for about 5 mins, it is very expensive, and does not have as good a reputation as Stockton. If your son is at BCC or OCC he has a chance to go to Rutgers, which has a much better reputation. Just something to think about, especially with such a competitive field.
Ty for your input, he is wanting a smaller school he doesnt want to to go to rutgers...my best friends daughters go to GCU they love it as 1 is graduating and other one a junior....he isnt ruling out stockton either...but has ruled out rutgers....GCU has now partnered with brookdale to offer a big percentage off those transfer students with a certain GPA....He is at brookdale right now....we have a tour and appt with the head of the Excersise Science at GCU and then in april we have one with Stockton...

Last edited by Swimmom32; 03-20-2014 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.