Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should parents force their kids to go to college?
Yes 3 33.33%
No 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 01:27 PM

387 posts, read 491,156 times

Advertisements

I think not because when you become a certain age you should be old enough to make your own decisions and nobody should tell you, even your parents, what decisions to make. If you don't want to go to college then fine you can just go to work instead or depend on welfare instead. And when I say college I don't just mean four year college but I mean two year as well. Parents shouldn't force their kids to go to college because they could regret it if they fall for something they don't want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 01:44 PM

531 posts, read 501,384 times
I think you should tell your mom and dad how you really feel, instead of posting a silly poll on the internet.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:23 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times
No because not all kids are cut out for college. When they graduate high school, except for a very few sports starts, they can:

a. Go to college
b. Learn a trade (which may or may not involve a CC or tech school)
c. Join the service
d. Get an unskilled job

The latter is a bad choice. Any of the top three are good since they lead to higher paid professions/trades. And the service has so many options for training and education besides a career.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:38 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,220,381 times
I didn't force my kids to go to college but I did give them several choices.

1. Go to college and I'll pay and they can live at home while they attend (or live on campus). If they select this option they need to work through high school and college for spending money.
2. Join the military and they don't have to work in high school. We'll help with college after the military.
3. Get a job and move out of the house after graduation from high school.

They both knew that doing nothing and living at home wasn't an option. Son joined the Navy and says it was the best decision he could have made. Daughter has picked going to college and is looking for work while in high school.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:19 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times
The military is not an option for everyone. The services are not growing because we don't need them to grow; we are not fighting large wars right now. As a result they only need anywhere from 150-200K recruits per year, depending on their attrition. There are 2 million college students per year. The military is actually getting selective - if you are not in shape or have drug convictions, etc... they won't take you because they're not desperate anymore.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Two of our 3 went to college, but the 3rd did not and is doing just great as a manager with over 100 employees, good pay and benefits and not yet 30. College is not for everyone, and despite the frequent posts to the contrary, is not required to make a decent living. We encouraged them, but in some fields experience still is more important than education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities