Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:00 AM

10,783 posts, read 5,715,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
As I pointed out, I (a male instructor btw, wonder why you made that assumption) have never run over into another teacher's class. I am always the last class of the day. I have, though, moved my class to another location to accommodate the teacher before me on numerous occasions, even without notice. Those are the regulations of my college and the expectations placed on me; the teacher in front of me is not required to give up the classroom if they are teaching. It is my responsibility to use one of the many alternative spaces.
Based on your user name, I believe it was a valid assumption. But thanks for clarifying.

As to the rest of your post, you already made that clear. I was simply clarifying your beliefs for another poster, based on your statement here:

Quote:
The latter, I can run my class into the next scheduled class time and the next teacher has to wait.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-08-2014 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: Could be misconstrued as rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 07:09 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,776,360 times
Now the professor is purposely letting his students out late. We all decided now at 6pm we just walk in.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:19 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,200,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Now the professor is purposely letting his students out late. We all decided now at 6pm we just walk in.
Greeeat.... stunning display of maturity and professionalism on both your parts.

Seriously, there is no reason for you to enter the room before your instructor arrives. Why create discord where it achieves nothing?

Old 05-09-2014, 08:25 AM

778 posts, read 825,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Greeeat.... stunning display of maturity and professionalism on both your parts.

Seriously, there is no reason for you to enter the room before your instructor arrives. Why create discord where it achieves nothing?
Because this isn't elementary school where you have to have an adult with you at all times.

I have three classes today, and I know I'll walk into the classroom before any of my instructors do. Maybe OP's school is different, or works like wherever Marigold teaches at, but I've never known a school where you have to wait around to get into an unlocked classroom, especially if you have a class starting in the next few minutes.

It's got nothing to do with creating discord. The way it's been set up at every school I've attended it's meant to help prevent it. There is at least a five minute space between one class ending and the other beginning so that students have time to get in, take out whatever they need, and be prepared to start on time.

That time is available to the instructor as well, and gives them a chance to set up whatever they need.

Maybe OP was fantastically rude, but this sounds like it's turning into a complete mess.

At least the semester's almost over.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-18-2014 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: removed vulgar comment

Old 05-09-2014, 10:04 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,777,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Based on your user name, I believe it was a valid assumption. But thanks for clarifying.

As to the rest of your post, you already made that clear. I was simply clarifying your beliefs for another poster, based on your statement here:
I never thought of marigolds6 being a female user name. Weird.

Anyway, these are not my beliefs. This is actual university policy on the use of classrooms for my college (and only my college because it has more multi-hour night classes). Each college has different policies too.

The college of Law allows no such runovers. Most other colleges allow a 10 minute run over into the next class based on the official class start times. (Officially university policy is that classes cannot officially start until 10 minutes after their published start time. Professors have to take care of class business and not lecture/start discussion for that first 10 minutes.)
We have no "passing times" between classes and do not use them (the 10 minute run over accommodates that). For example, the class before me is 2:30pm to 5pm and my class is 5pm to 7:30pm, and if there was a class after me it would be 7:30pm to 9:00pm.

We have guidelines that apply across all colleges about courtesy to instructors following you.
http://teachingcenter.wustl.edu/Clas...sroom-Use.aspx

Last edited by marigolds6; 05-09-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 05-09-2014, 10:09 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,055,674 times
Quote:
I never thought of marigolds6 being a female user name. Weird.

Anyway, these are not my beliefs. This is actual university policy on the use of classrooms. I pointed it out originally because the OP should be aware that their university probably has similar policies.
I would have never guess that a male would choose a name of a flower for his user name. Weird.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:40 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,777,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I would have never guess that a male would choose a name of a flower for his user name. Weird.
It's a Nirvana song reference. Maybe Nirvana has been gone too long now for people to get it. When I first started using it in the early 90s, most people knew it right away Or if you are from Britain, its a brand of gloves and a color.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:09 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,200,022 times

Posts need to return to the topic listed in the title, please.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:04 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,444,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Well aren't you just a peach? I bet you wouldn't just walk in if it was just you, by yourself. Safety in numbers, right?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-18-2014 at 11:37 AM..

Old 05-12-2014, 04:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,658,055 times
Is your instructor going to barge in with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities