Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:13 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,340,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
More than 4 in 5 college seniors don't have jobs lined up

More than 4 in 5 students graduating from college in the next few weeks do not have jobs lined up, and those majoring in supposedly hot fields such as engineering and technology are having no better luck.

The thus-far fruitless searches have stirred doubt among students about the benefits of college.

A study this year by the Pew Research Center found that millennials with college diplomas earned an average $17,500 more in 2012 than their peers with only a high-school education.

Suggestion... companies are looking for high-skilled labor (preferably non-union) - electricians, plumbers, welders... Instead of going into huge debt right away, you could learn that skill, make a bunch of money right away, and then do college in a few years without incurring a boatload of debt.

Only problem is that it's hard work - and apparently most young adults avoid hard work. All I know is, people can make money doing tasks that the majority of people will not do.
Do you actually know any young people? Are you the parent of a young person?
My son is a trucker AND he owns his own small business.
He puts in 12 hour days and works every single day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 PM

20,129 posts, read 16,190,006 times
This thread came to us from the Politics & Other Controversies forum. It was determined that this subject better fit in the Education forum. Discuss away.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:41 PM

98 posts, read 107,545 times
Son will be receiving his computer engineering degree in six weeks, will see what happens when he starts the job hunt...

Old 05-09-2014, 02:00 AM

820 posts, read 1,210,256 times
What investment a liberal arts degree? Most college kids have bs majors that wouldnt get a job in a roaring economy.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,351,943 times
So....they are talking about kids, in April or March, that don't have jobs lined up yet after graduation.....just how many of those kid have actually started looking for a job yet??? Now that colleges are finishing up and many kids are graduating, ALL of the college seniors I know personally have jobs or are going on to Law/Med school. Maybe they should do the poll when kids are actually LOOKING for jobs??? Even back when I was in college, most kids I knew took at least a month off after they graduated, maybe they traveled but mostly they just decompressed. Then they started looking for a job.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:41 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,047,261 times
I know 2 Princeton grads with no jobs lined up. Economy hasn't fully recovered.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:55 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,488,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It usually costs an absurd amount of money to go to trade school and many places won't look at you without the experience and/or training. I don't necessarily disagree that people should look to the trades, but going into the trades in order to pay for college is quite foolish. It's better to just work your way through school and get your parents to pay for what you can't.
That's why for-profit, trade schools should be avoided. Community; junior; and public, technical colleges usually offer trade programs at an affordable price. The dedicated vo-tech schools often charge as much for a 2-year degree as one would spend on a 4-year degree at a public university. Another option would be to find an apprenticeship. It seems like these are easier to find in areas with strong unions.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
So....they are talking about kids, in April or March, that don't have jobs lined up yet after graduation.....just how many of those kid have actually started looking for a job yet??? Now that colleges are finishing up and many kids are graduating, ALL of the college seniors I know personally have jobs or are going on to Law/Med school. Maybe they should do the poll when kids are actually LOOKING for jobs??? Even back when I was in college, most kids I knew took at least a month off after they graduated, maybe they traveled but mostly they just decompressed. Then they started looking for a job.
Exactly! What with finals and all the end of year activity, a lot of students simply haven't had time to look for a job, except perhaps at the job fairs held on campus. Kind of hard to go out of town for an interview when one has a final! All the college students I know who've graduated recently have had jobs within a few months of graduation. The fact that 4 in 5 do not have jobs lined up by a certain date is hardly indicative of laziness, or that they will NEVER work in their field.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:29 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Exactly! What with finals and all the end of year activity, a lot of students simply haven't had time to look for a job, except perhaps at the job fairs held on campus. Kind of hard to go out of town for an interview when one has a final! All the college students I know who've graduated recently have had jobs within a few months of graduation. The fact that 4 in 5 do not have jobs lined up by a certain date is hardly indicative of laziness, or that they will NEVER work in their field.
It's certainly indicative that they're not being terrible proactive about finding a job.

It must be nice to not even start seriously looking until graduation.

I had a job lined up in November when I was finishing up undergrad, and a job landed in January when I was finishing up grad school. I can't imagine the sort of irresponsible mind that thinks its okay to go all the way to the end without bothering to find a way to pay the bills.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:26 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,930,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
More than 4 in 5 college seniors don't have jobs lined up

More than 4 in 5 students graduating from college in the next few weeks do not have jobs lined up, and those majoring in supposedly hot fields such as engineering and technology are having no better luck.

The thus-far fruitless searches have stirred doubt among students about the benefits of college.

A study this year by the Pew Research Center found that millennials with college diplomas earned an average $17,500 more in 2012 than their peers with only a high-school education.

Suggestion... companies are looking for high-skilled labor (preferably non-union) - electricians, plumbers, welders... Instead of going into huge debt right away, you could learn that skill, make a bunch of money right away, and then do college in a few years without incurring a boatload of debt.

Only problem is that it's hard work - and apparently most young adults avoid hard work. All I know is, people can make money doing tasks that the majority of people will not do.
I don't buy into the idea that a student goes to college just to get ONE JOB. I just don't. It may take young adults a while to get settled into good jobs but their degree will benefit them FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities