Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 01:16 PM

64 posts, read 86,057 times

Advertisements

Everyone seems to have this notion that you go to college to make money.

I am more inclined to believe that you go to college to learn more about something you are passionate about. If you make money from it and what you've learned then so be it... but this simply ins't the law of the land these days.

I want to go back to college, More than likely a community college then transfer out to a university for my B.S I'm gearing towards Computer Science or Engineering Science. Here's the thing though. I'm 24, turning 25. I want return to school in 4 more months. I have a quandary though.

I do have a child. A girlfriend. We are currently living in two different places. She at her mothers home with her own set of issues and me at my mothers home.

She says that she'll fully support what ever decision I make.

Would it be wise to go away to a 2 year community college that had dorms, then transfer to a university. Achieving my B.S in either discipline. This way I have a place to rest my head and focus 100% on studies (Possible working one or two days a week)

With Aid and Loans I can live frugally...

OR

Find full time work here in NYC to try and support my family while going to community college for 1 or 2 nights a week. Probably spending more then 2 years to get my A.S

Rent: 1100
Electric :75
Food: 425
Transportation: 300
Phone: 120
Internet: 60
Emergency: 125
Entertainment: 100

$2350 a month to "Live" This is assuming I can find a job that pays 36K + With no formal education or experience. (Which after my 2 months of unemployment, has proven difficult.)

I feel less like a man by considering leaving my family temporarily to get this degree and earn more money in the long run to support them. Thinking of the future though it seems like the better option.

Sorry if this is too long and fluffed... But what do you guys/gals think is the best bet ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 01:33 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Are you in NYC now?

What about the third option of you both living where you are at while you attend school and look for a job?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:47 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
No. Everyone does not seem to have the notion a person goes to college to make money. Anyone who graduates from college should have learned not to make such statements. I learned it my freshman year. If everyone had such a notion, it would mean every living soul on earth, which is ludicrous. I had no such notion and you didn't, so that's two already which proves a false statement. It would serve people well learning to say: many people have the notion, etc., etc.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:48 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,918,262 times
honestly bro. the ideal situation would be to find a night shift job. and go to school during the day. since you have a kid, maybe you can get asisstance. even find a job that will pay for you to go to school. whats your living situation now?? maybe apply for financial aid and either get a dorm or live in an apartment.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:02 PM

778 posts, read 824,072 times
The first thing you need to do is fill out a FAFSA if you haven't already: https://fafsa.ed.gov/

The good news for you is that you're old enough to no longer be considered a dependent of your parents, and you have a child relying on you for financial support (I assume). That's going to help your financial aid outlook quite a bit.

I know some people are going to scoff at me for suggesting it, but really, take all the aid you can. See if your family will qualify for food stamps or WIC. These programs exist to help out people who are in a rough spot financially, and it's my opinion that helping the family of a man who's going to school to better his family's position in the world is a fine use of tax dollars.

If you're only going to school once or twice a week, odds are you're looking at taking one class per semester. At that pace you're going to transfer in...never. Full time is twelve units, a single class is usually 3-4 units, and most colleges want you to have at least 60 units to transfer. This is a path you can take, yes, but it's going to take you a long time.

I would see what your financial aid outlook is and find a part-time job with flexible hours. If you make going to school a priority you'll get done faster, but that's only possible IF you can make finances work.

Also, if you're planning to start school in the fall, you need to contact your community college now. Here in California I just signed up for my fall classes, and classes tend to fill up fast.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:07 PM

She's living with her mom, I'm living with mine. My mom doesn't really want me here... constantly telling me to find a job and move out. Her mom acts supportive, but is double tongued. I did have job contracting work, making 42k a year( on paper, but in reality 24k). but that's gone now.

Maybe the fact that 5 people living in a 2 bedroom apartment. ( In my moms) and 5 five people living in my GF mom's 3 bedroom home.

Everything is really tense, to the point where my girl was thinking of going into the shelter. I just want to be able to support my family... while still thinking of the future.

I have been looking for working, applying to anything relevant to my experience. No hit as of yet. I'm still looking Applying to 2 - 5 jobs daily. For the last 2 months.

Maybe I should have opened with that line. Don't castrate me Rubi3.

I had an EFC of 0 last time I submitted, I didn't update for this year yet. I had taking some classes when I was 19, Dropped them as I let my job take over instead of focusing on school. So I dropped them instead of failing. FaFsa doesn't cover that. So once I get the 850 to pay off my school I was considering going back there.

I really wouldn't mind part-time work, that way I could still afford certain things for my child, and my girl IS looking for work too. She has her AS in humanities... and is trying to get back into John Jay this coming fall for her Criminal Justice B.S.

Paying for child care working part time and school part/full time is rough, but we're trying. I just want things to be expedited. I dont want to spend 3 years getting an A.S and another 3 for a B.S

Last edited by DrKane; 04-22-2014 at 02:16 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 02:16 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,730,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKane View Post
Everyone seems to have this notion that you go to college to make money.

I am more inclined to believe that you go to college to learn more about something you are passionate about. If you make money from it and what you've learned then so be it... but this simply ins't the law of the land these days.

I want to go back to college, More than likely a community college then transfer out to a university for my B.S I'm gearing towards Computer Science or Engineering Science. Here's the thing though. I'm 24, turning 25. I want return to school in 4 more months. I have a quandary though.

I do have a child. A girlfriend. We are currently living in two different places. She at her mothers home with her own set of issues and me at my mothers home.

She says that she'll fully support what ever decision I make.

Would it be wise to go away to a 2 year community college that had dorms, then transfer to a university. Achieving my B.S in either discipline. This way I have a place to rest my head and focus 100% on studies (Possible working one or two days a week)

With Aid and Loans I can live frugally...

OR

Find full time work here in NYC to try and support my family while going to community college for 1 or 2 nights a week. Probably spending more then 2 years to get my A.S

Rent: 1100
Electric :75
Food: 425
Transportation: 300
Phone: 120
Internet: 60
Emergency: 125
Entertainment: 100

$2350 a month to "Live" This is assuming I can find a job that pays 36K + With no formal education or experience. (Which after my 2 months of unemployment, has proven difficult.)

I feel less like a man by considering leaving my family temporarily to get this degree and earn more money in the long run to support them. Thinking of the future though it seems like the better option.

Sorry if this is too long and fluffed... But what do you guys/gals think is the best bet ?
Well actually you have THREE futures to think of, and the best possible outcome is for your plan to reflect that. Being nosy, but How is your girlfriend able to cover living expenses for the child you two have together? You did say that NYC is expensive. To carry a fair share of the load, if you can't contribute financially to your child's maintenance, maybe you could have your child with you every other weekend to give his mother a break. I wouldn't advise completely moving away into a situation where you cannot bond and maintain the family ties you have started. You have to have some provisions in mind to deal with that in the form of family weekends once a month or something.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:22 PM

laorbust61: I had about 4k saved up. I gave her access to my bank account, which is now dry. She was contributing food to her moms house hold, but in her families eyes that wasn't enough. She's frugal herself. Doesn't ask for anything, this doesn't mean I don't want to provide.

We're looking at a minimum of $1000 a month for child care, phones and transportation... This is assuming we qualified for family services as cephalopede suggested. and if our current living situations didnt change.. but like I said the people we're staying with aren't so... open to that idea.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:12 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
Sorry about that, DrKane. Your intro sidetracked me and I wrote what I wrote. Your username caused me to think you'd already completed educational goals. I know what being poor is like. My husband and I were 17 and 20 when we married and while we never lived with our parents, they did contribute bits and pieces to our income. We had 2 children before I was 20. They are adults now. I am now formally educated and their father passed away long ago. I would hate to be starting out now, so the early year angst is over.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:12 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
When I read the title of the thread, I was expecting someone in the 40s or 50s .... Anyway, I advise AGAINST working full time while trying to get a degree. It's just way too much on your plate. All throughout my undergrad, I had a part time job on campus (work study) - just a few hours a week - and this was only possible because I could often do homework while on the job. Later on I worked full time at the University, so I started a Master's program at the same time because, being an employee, it was free tuition. Well, that was just way too much and I quit the schooling after a semester.

If you want to get your B.S., devote yourself entirely to it for a few years, get it done, and then go back into the workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities