Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:56 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,766,672 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My classmates and I were waiting for like 10 min for the class before us to get out. The doors are open and the students from the last class leave. 5 minutes before our class starts I walk in and open the windows because the room is stuffy and hot and sit down to eat my short lunch. The classroom desks out of order. Shortly more of my fellow students come in. Then the faculty member is rude by using a mean tone and insults us by saying we are rude for coming in and he needs to talk to 3 girls about a confidential matter. I walk out the door but say in two minutes technically his class is over and we can come in. In two minutes, my class mates and I are planning on entering but before we do him and the girls come out. As he comes out he uses a rude tone with me and says he is a teacher and I have no right to tell him what to do and says I am being rude. Then he asks me for my name and I pause for a sec and say "Jack" (not my real name) and he says and don't be one and now I know you are and classmates are going to snicker about this. We all then enter the classroom and one of my classmates says "yeah we are going to snicker you jerk." The professor continues to talk to the three girls outside.

We tell our professor what happened and she was like that was rude of that guy and I didn't deserve to be yelled at if were were sitting quietly in the classroom and our professor said she will try to make it early next time.

We all learned that the professor from last time teaches a freshmen class and think he was in a bad mood from that class.

Anyways, anyone heard of this or have advice? I kind of wish my fellow students back me up more, which I think they would have if the guy got more rude.

Thanks,

the city

Last edited by the city; 04-29-2014 at 08:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 08:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,118,086 times
Oh good grief.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:12 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,721,841 times
It's not really clear, but if you went in while he was still talking to his students and before your class began, then I would agree that you were rude. He may or may not have handled it well, but it sounds like you were being petty. My advice would be not to be.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:12 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,399,515 times
get over it, life sucks and then you die

Old 04-29-2014, 08:15 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,766,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
It's not really clear, but if you went in while he was still talking to his students and before your class began, then I would agree that you were rude. He may or may not have handled it well, but it sounds like you were being petty. My advice would be not to be.
He let out his class early. And I don't think as a faculty member you should talk rudely to students.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 PM

778 posts, read 824,187 times
Sounds like he was a jerk, yes.

If your school is like mine, most lecture classes get out at :50 after the hour, which gives ten minutes for people to gather their things and leave, and for the next class to come in, get settled, and get set up for their lecture.

In that ten minute span, the classroom doesn't belong to anyone. It's a transition period.

If the matter he had to discuss with his students was super confidential, it should have been done in his office.

But ultimately, I wouldn't worry about it unless there's a good chance you'll have to take a class from him later and think he'll remember your face.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Grow up, OP.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:24 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Hello,

My classmates and I were waiting for like 10 min for the class before us to get out. The doors are open and the students from the last class leave. 5 minutes before our class starts I walk in and open the windows because the room is stuffy and hot and sit down to eat my short lunch. The classroom desks out of order. Shortly more of my fellow students come in. Then the faculty member is rude by using a mean tone and insults us by saying we are rude for coming in and he needs to talk to 3 girls about a confidential matter. I walk out the door but say in two minutes technically his class is over and we can come in. In two minutes, my class mates and I are planning on entering but before we do him and the girls come out. As he comes out he uses a rude tone with me and says he is a teacher and I have no right to tell him what to do and says I am being rude. Then he asks me for my name and I pause for a sec and say "Jack" (not my real name) and he says and don't be one and now I know you are and classmates are going to snicker about this. We all then enter the classroom and one of my classmates says "yeah we are going to snicker you jerk." The professor continues to talk to the three girls outside.

We tell our professor what happened and she was like that was rude of that guy and I didn't deserve to be yelled at if were were sitting quietly in the classroom and our professor said she will try to make it early next time.

We all learned that the professor from last time teaches a freshmen class and think he was in a bad mood from that class.

Anyways, anyone heard of this or have advice? I kind of wish my fellow students back me up more, which I think they would have if the guy got more rude.

Thanks,

the city
It's hard to understand the sequence of events here. Are you saying that the first professor was still in the classroom with a couple of students, that officially his class time was not quite over, and you walked in there, opened some windows and started eating lunch?? If so, that's about the rudest thing I've ever heard. No, wait - he asked you to leave and you actually answered back that he had only two minutes and you were coming in? My god, I think I'd have called security. And then your classmate actually called him a jerk and you all were "snickering." Wow. Quite honestly, I think some kind of disciplinary action should be taken against you. You were incredibly rude, way out of line, and had no right to even enter the classroom in the first place, much less give the teacher a 2 minute warning. Even if the class goes over time, it is up to your teacher to handle it - not you.

I agree the professor's response about "Jack" was unprofessional, but you were over the top disrespectful and inappropriate. If I were that professor, I would have waited for your teacher, gotten your full name, and reported you as a disruptive student. You are lucky he was only rude.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Hello,

Thanks,

the city
You were both rude, but he was right, the classroom was his until his time was up.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:08 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,537,471 times
Stuffy know it all academian was rude to stuffy know it all student? WAR!!!!!!!!! Call out the SPLC and the ACLU. These kinds of microagressions should not go unheaded or unpunished. Can we take away the profs tenure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities