Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 AM

830 posts, read 1,667,078 times

Advertisements

The best ways I know so far are:
1. Search university/college websites to see what degrees they offer, see what is required to enter that program and what courses are required during study
2. Check out books at libraries or bookstores about the subject I wish to study

My problem has been that I have this reoccurring thought that I should have studied something else in my first round of college. I didn't really know what I was doing back then, I had no idea what I wanted to be, I had no idea the myriad of degrees I could have pursued and I didn't have the confidence to try something that I couldn't do before--in fact I had almost zero confidence in myself at the time. I started hopeful in one program but in my last year I suddenly felt like I couldn't go into that profession any more. I was eager just to get the whole thing over with so in my last year I switched to a major that was originally my minor so I would only have to get through one more year. My degree is in something at I'm good at but I'm having trouble seeing the use of it.

So I know what college is about, basically, thanks to the first degree, but I would like to at least see if studying something totally unrelated for a second B.A. or B.S. would be something realistic or just a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 12:38 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
How about first researching the jobs you'd like then researching what degrees most people in those positions have?

Old 06-16-2014, 04:38 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Research what kinds of jobs you can get with the degree you are interested in and see if you can talk to some people in that career field.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:22 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,550 times
What's the degree?

Go to the career services office and talk to a career counselor. That's one of the benefits of going to college ... the career services office. Too many students never go there.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:30 AM

830 posts, read 1,667,078 times
Default thanks :)

Yes I think you are right... I should look into careers that interest me and find out what those people studied and/or what education their employers require. Plus finding a career counselor would be great because I think I need a lot of guidance! My problem has been that I don't even know where to begin.

My degree is in Spanish. I'm not saying it's "useless" but it seems kind of vague. Yes, some jobs require a degree, no matter what the subject, so I'm safe there... I'm totally aware that speaking Spanish is extremely useful for jobs in healthcare, social services, education, tourism, government, etc. but it seems like it's not enough... It seems like as a degree alone it is underappreciated--I mean, if a company needs an employee who speaks Spanish, are they going to pick me or someone who has a business (or other) degree and happens to be a native speaker? Many jobs will request or require proficiency in a foreign language, but very rarely require a degree in it. I was really surprised during my brief attempt at substitute teaching when I talked to two of the three Spanish teachers at this high school who said they did not even have a minor in that subject. I know the school was probably desperate and this is not the norm for the whole country.

Sorry for the rant there. Anyway I'm going to do more reading into this for now.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:33 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,394,271 times
Getting a second Bachelor's is dumb. Get a graduate degree in the field that interests you. You can take any prerequisites missing if the degree is in an unrelated field.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:44 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,550 times
Being able to speak English and Spanish well opens a lot of doors.

I'm sorry I didn't read your post well and didn't realize you weren't still in college. My bad. I think a good place to start for guidance is the Alumni services of your university. Also, you may still be eligible to use Career Services at the University for guidance. It can't hurt to ask.

I agree a graduate degree is much better than a second bachelor's. Look into that possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities