Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 5,871 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. Looking for some help with my issue. I will get to the point first, and then add my details in later since I can be long winded and some folks hate reading.

Is "Elementary Mathematical Modeling" Easier than College Algebra? The school I attend in University of Houston.

The details

I'm bad at math. I would get much more into it (really I have written essays on this topic) but let's just say that me learning Algebra is literally impossible. People like to combat my opinion on this issue by giving a simple problem like, "Jim needs to drive 10 miles to work. Gas costs $3.00 per gallon. How much will Jim spend to get to work each day?" And to that I reply, "That is hardly the Algebra people have issues with.

No, my issue is the 10x^2-9x=1 type problems. (That is literally what has me currently stopped in my tracks now). And don't get me started on parabolas and functions. Sorry, but I don't see how an English major or any average person would need to know how to manipulate equations in such a way or even convert the data of a curve into number form. Yet I need to know it or I basically wasted a few thousand bucks I will need to pay back for nothing in return.

So I am at a crossroads now. If I can't pass Algebra or find an alternative I need to drop out of college. No point racking up debt for something I will never achieve. It's kinda depressing since I was on the Dean's list 3 semester's straight until I was forced to take my first math course (college Algebra is needed for some classes in my minor).

So I am basically reaching out for some help here. Does anyone know of any universities where College Algebra is no a requirement to graduate? I can move if need be or take courses online. I am just at a point where I am realizing that I will be at the end of academic career with All A's and B's but be stuck at 117 credits because I cannot pass Algebra.

Thanks in advance.

(Please forgive typo's. I didn't exactly spend any time editing and reviewing this post)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 03:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
There's this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...ics-order.html

Old 09-01-2014, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,871 times
Thank you

Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymega View Post
Thank you
A pleasure.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:23 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Hi folks. Looking for some help with my issue. I will get to the point first, and then add my details in later since I can be long winded and some folks hate reading.

Is "Elementary Mathematical Modeling" Easier than College Algebra? The school I attend in University of Houston.
Probably, but it depends on the professor and your aptitude.

Quote:
The details

I'm bad at math. I would get much more into it (really I have written essays on this topic) but let's just say that me learning Algebra is literally impossible. People like to combat my opinion on this issue by giving a simple problem like, "Jim needs to drive 10 miles to work. Gas costs $3.00 per gallon. How much will Jim spend to get to work each day?" And to that I reply, "That is hardly the Algebra people have issues with.
I wish people would stop believing they're inherently bad at math. If someone came here and stated "I'm bad at reading, how can I get by life as an illiterate?" I would hope people wouldn't just let that go. I feel the same way about math. It's fundamental to modern life and isn't something people should just convince themselves they're never going to be good at.

Also, your simple problem has no answer as stated.

Quote:
No, my issue is the 10x^2-9x=1 type problems. (That is literally what has me currently stopped in my tracks now). And don't get me started on parabolas and functions. Sorry, but I don't see how an English major or any average person would need to know how to manipulate equations in such a way or even convert the data of a curve into number form. Yet I need to know it or I basically wasted a few thousand bucks I will need to pay back for nothing in return.
For quadratic equations, all you need to do is memorize the quadratic formula. And knowing basic equations is far more practical than you think. With simple algebra you can sort out for yourself many financial transactions where others can take advantage of those who cannot calculate for themselves. Things like interest payments and installment plans. Knowing math can keep you from wasting thousands of dollars.

Quote:
So I am at a crossroads now. If I can't pass Algebra or find an alternative I need to drop out of college. No point racking up debt for something I will never achieve. It's kinda depressing since I was on the Dean's list 3 semester's straight until I was forced to take my first math course (college Algebra is needed for some classes in my minor).
You're clearly not connecting to math in a positive way. Have you considered other methods of learning algebra? It's not hard if taught correctly.

Quote:
So I am basically reaching out for some help here. Does anyone know of any universities where College Algebra is no a requirement to graduate? I can move if need be or take courses online. I am just at a point where I am realizing that I will be at the end of academic career with All A's and B's but be stuck at 117 credits because I cannot pass Algebra.

Thanks in advance.

(Please forgive typo's. I didn't exactly spend any time editing and reviewing this post)
What are you hoping to major in? How did you get into college without basic algebra skills?

Old 09-01-2014, 08:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Everyone can do math if they get past the mental intimidation. Math is nothing more that following a series of steps over and over.

Learn the order of operations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ClYdw4d4OmA

Old 09-06-2014, 10:58 PM

289 posts, read 504,454 times
I have been a straight-A student my whole life, but I am TERRIBLE at math. It was always my worst subject. What helped me do well in college algebra was that I took it at a small community college where I only had 10 classmates, so I could get the extra help I needed from my instructor (who was also a very nice and helpful person). It may also be worth looking into tutoring services. Your school may even set you up with a tutor for free (typically another student who is doing it for credit or experience).

Old 09-07-2014, 01:10 AM

778 posts, read 823,086 times
I think some people are bad at math, and I imagine there are at least a couple of learning disabilities that might come into play (discalcula is a thing, isn't it?).

But it's like being bad at anything else. The more you work at it, the better you'll get, even if you never get great.

When I returned to school, I had to start out in remedial math. Uber remedial. I had to go and learn how to do basic arithmetic with fractions. I worked my way up through pre-calculus. Not always getting the best grades, but I managed.

I wouldn't go looking for loopholes in other schools until you've really exhausted all your options. Are you dedicating all the time to your math homework that you reasonably can? Are you going to the teacher's office hours for help? Are you getting tutoring? Can you withdraw, work with a tutor to get your skills up to par and take it again next semester? Can you muddle through it, try to get a C, and be okay retaking it if you don't pass?

If you're an English person, it might help you to write down the steps you need to do in plain English. It helped me pass algebra.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:13 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
One of the most common practical math problems is the guy with a $100,000 mortgage at 6% for 30 years who pays $600 per month principal and interest.

1) How much interest do you pay over the life of the loan?

2) A company offers you a chance to pay $300 every two weeks for a $20 handling fee. In exchange they will reduce your payment period by 6 years and save you $27K in interest. Are they cheating you? If it's legitamate how can they do that? Should you accept the offer?

Old 09-07-2014, 09:31 AM

371 posts, read 555,715 times
Instead of transferring programs or universities to avoid an algebra requirement, it might be more cost-effective to pay for tutoring. For example, Mathnasium is in the Houston area. Expensive but even a month of three times a week sessions could make a difference for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities