Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 11:18 AM

5 posts, read 10,940 times

Advertisements

Well I appreciate all of the replies. Seems to be a universal NO. The one thing I had hoped for was a response from someone with first hand experience of the school. Having been a student or a current student, and THEIR impression. Thats something Ihavent received. It does seem as though a number of you have pertinent opinions, although none that have actually been through the schooling and the following career pursuit, first hand. But I do appreciate all of the replies, and am open to more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 11:30 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyursomny View Post
Well I appreciate all of the replies. Seems to be a universal NO. The one thing I had hoped for was a response from someone with first hand experience of the school. Having been a student or a current student, and THEIR impression. Thats something Ihavent received. It does seem as though a number of you have pertinent opinions, although none that have actually been through the schooling and the following career pursuit, first hand. But I do appreciate all of the replies, and am open to more.
Actually you are not correct, I told you from an employers point of view what will happen with someone who goes through their ITT and tries to pursue a career, I will disregard their resume, and look for someone who had the sense to get a real education.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:36 PM

5 posts, read 10,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Actually you are not correct, I told you from an employers point of view what will happen with someone who goes through their ITT and tries to pursue a career, I will disregard their resume, and look for someone who had the sense to get a real education.
And as asked earlier, what field are you in, and what company do you work for where you are receiving ITT graduates regularly applying that you pass over....if you dont mind mentioning? I'm genuinely interested. Thank you

Last edited by mikeyursomny; 09-13-2014 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-13-2014, 03:06 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
These for-profit education companies are essentially worthless.

Do a couple of searches (google) re ITT (and other rip-offs like DeVry). You'll find a lot of negative responses from people who have personal experiences with these places.

Look around the area where you live. Most likely there is a CC close by or even a state university. Check them out. They will offer you much more and are far less expensive than a scam like ITT.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:23 PM

455 posts, read 1,398,531 times
Quote:
And as asked earlier, what field are you in, and what company do you work for where you are receiving ITT graduates regularly applying that you pass over....if you dont mind mentioning? I'm genuinely interested. Thank you
I'm a Network Architect who works for a very large company. What has been stated in this thread is pretty dead on. All for-profit's in my field which is IT always seem to have an asterisks next to it. Sort of like its a degree but only in name. I pretty sure for-profits don't get tossed into a burning trashcan but you are at a huge disadvantage.

I've been trying to transition to a federal IT position (GS) for the past year. I have had a ton of interviews and I finally got an offer from NETCOM as a 2210 with a Network sub speciality last month. Everyone else in my office has been has been trying to do the same for a lot longer. I have a non-profit degree from a real school and everyone else has for-profit degrees. They can't even get to the interview part of the process. I remember when I first started getting federal interviews they were amazed...LOL. This has to be because the federal HR folks dont take for-profit degree seriously.

Having a for-profit degree at a min checks that degree required checkbox. But stacked against people with more legit degrees for real schools it's does not fair well at all. Do yourself a favor and don't buy into the silly ITT commercials with stories of successful grads. Go to a CC or a University that doesn't cost a fortune.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:07 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
I am the CEO of a telecom/data corporation located in Illinois. I wouldn't say we have ITT graduates regularly applying, but in the past year, we have had about 15. I honestly do not understand why someone would even consider ITT as an option.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:41 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
ITT Educational Services Inc. has abruptly shut down its eponymous for-profit technical schools, closing more than 130 campuses and leaving as many as 40,000 students stranded in one of the largest college closures in American history.

According to its website, ITT has nine campuses in Florida including three in South Florida: Davie, West Palm Beach and Hialeah.

The company blamed the Department of Education for its downfall in a statement released on Tuesday. Last month, the feds demanded the company produce an additional $153 million in collateral - nearly double its $78 million in cash on hand - to cover possible losses that the government might incur if the company were to suddenly fail.

ITT said it terminated the "overwhelming majority" of its more than 8,000 employees.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:45 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Oops.
ITT Technical Institutes Shuts Down, Leaving a Hefty Bill - Bloomberg

Old 09-06-2016, 05:28 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
What's happened is what we all knew but no one said out loud. "Colleges" like ITT Tech existed for two reasons - 1) to defraud students and 2) collect the maximum percentage possible of whatever student grant or loan money those students could get awarded.

Accreditation should have been a red flag, but I guess those entities are too obscure to make a difference.

I'm amazed it took the feds this long to crack down. ITT Tech has been engaging in this fraud for decades.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:34 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
What's happened is what we all knew but no one said out loud. "Colleges" like ITT Tech existed for two reasons - 1) to defraud students and 2) collect the maximum percentage possible of whatever student grant or loan money those students could get awarded.

Accreditation should have been a red flag, but I guess those entities are too obscure to make a difference.

I'm amazed it took the feds this long to crack down. ITT Tech has been engaging in this fraud for decades.
In recent years things went far beyond ITT. People opened up very shoddy "schools" to give out degrees to students. The internet made it even easier for anyone not able to get into a legitimate program (yes there are reputable degree programs online) to go to a crappy online school or a school that had a combination of online courses and physical campuses. So many students graduated unable to get employment, and by funding these programs the federal government was a defacto enabler. Now they are holding schools accountable for what they produce. Either the schools graduate people who are able to find jobs, or they lose accreditation and ability to get federal funding and they go out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities