Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:54 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
That is the price most top private schools (Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Chicago, NW, etc) are charging. To me it just seems silly.

I could justify that for Medical/Dental/Law school but for an undergrad? Really?
You have to remember you can recover that in 1 year if placed on Wall Street. People don't go to the elite schools unless they can get in. And people who can go to the Ivy League are a motivated bunch. Its more than what anyone would want to pay but if you went to a school like Cal State Dominguez Hills (nothing against the place but it is what it is) and pay a much lower tuition, you would probably end up working at the DMV or some government office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 08:32 AM

531 posts, read 501,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
The Stafford loan limits are much higher than $27k: Stafford Loan Limits | StaffordLoan.com
$31,000 isn't "much" higher than $27,000 IMO. The vast majority of the students under 24 will not be able to access the Independent Student limit levels.

PLUS loans are parent loans for undergraduates. Hence my comment about parents enabling them. An undergraduate student wouldn't be able to get those on their own. Parents are responsible for all of the principal and interest.

As of Dec '13, the average undergraduate student loan debt was $29,000. While the foolish students whose families go into $250,000 debt for four years for a Religion or Womens' Studies degree are certainly great headline fodder, they are not typical and it's misleading to suggest they are the norm rather than the rare exception.

Anyhow, my main point was (and still is) that financial aid includes a lot more than just loans, and much of it does not need to be paid back... Again, depending on the school and the student. In our case, grants were almost 4x as much as loans in the FA package. And the scholarship amounts were over 8x.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:17 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
That is the price most top private schools (Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Chicago, NW, etc) are charging. To me it just seems silly.

I could justify that for Medical/Dental/Law school but for an undergrad? Really?
ya, but the top schools give great financial aid to most of their students.

You'll have to be like me (single child of parents whom make a combined income of 300k, but aren't rich by any means) to get screwed over. Duke only gave me 2k of aid after I was accepted

but it's ok, my low ranked state college (60 us news) still landed me a decent job. I still wish I went to duke though. Probably could have ended up working for microsoft

Last edited by stellastar2345; 10-13-2014 at 02:29 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 02:58 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post

You'll have to be like me (single child of parents whom make a combined income of 300k, but aren't rich by any means) to get screwed over. Duke only gave me 2k of aid after I was accepted

but it's ok, my low ranked state college (60 us news) still landed me a decent job. I still wish I went to duke though. Probably could have ended up working for microsoft
Granted your parents aren't the .1% but can you really complain?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:02 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post

If they've been making 300K, inflation-adjusted, for any significant amount of time and AREN'T millionaires, they should consider scaling back their lifestyle.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
If they've been making 300K, inflation-adjusted, for any significant amount of time and AREN'T millionaires, they should consider scaling back their lifestyle.
my dad's a good investor, and they (and me) aren't huge spenders, but it's not like we have a private jet and a yacht like the rich do, haha. 55k/year in tuition is a lot. That's like getting a new luxury car each year and then some.

I mean, my parents could have paid for duke. They did offer me the option if my *heart* was set on it, but they weren't going to pay for anything else afterwards [wedding, grad school, summer classes, car, extra year of college if I wanted it, etc]. I mean it was coming to around 220k-230k total, so what more could I really expect?

state college total for me was like 45-50k. A lot more reasonable. It's around the same price as the car my dad drives. My dad didn't think twice about getting that car, I don't think he thinks twice about paying my tuition/fees/etc, especially considering it's broken down to like 5-6k every 6 months or so.

Last edited by stellastar2345; 10-13-2014 at 07:04 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Granted your parents aren't the .1% but can you really complain?
I guess in the end you are right. I rather my parent make what they make rather than struggle to pay for college myself.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:07 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,913,006 times
Someone needs to google "need blind".. good lord.

No one pays full boat for Ivy Leagues, Standford, MIT, NESCAC, etc. unless their family is loaded or brings in over $200,000 per year.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:32 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,234,050 times
With the interest from my student loans over the years....I probably have!!!!! :-(

Old 10-19-2014, 03:50 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
No it is not worth it. Even $100K is pushing it. There are much, much better options.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities