Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:17 PM

6 posts, read 4,575 times

Advertisements

What should Community college instructors have as far as credentials? At my college; they can be a school bus driver and teach electrical engineering technology and be the director of the department. I know three that are heads of their department and have only two year associates degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 01:40 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman12 View Post
What should Community college instructors have as far as credentials? At my college; they can be a school bus driver and teach electrical engineering technology and be the director of the department. I know three that are heads of their department and have only two year associates degrees.

I have never heard of such a thing. Is this a regionally accredited institution? CC instructors around here have a graduate degree at minimum, and most of them have PhDs.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:35 PM

22,596 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman12 View Post
Apparently the credentials required are more lax at your school than at ours.

Why do you teach there if you are questioning the requirements?

Old 10-15-2014, 02:52 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,985 times
The CC I attended for awhile... Instructors were all PhD's.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:38 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
Regionally accredited schools based in Kentucky are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. It is the strictest regional accreditor, and schools tend to follow their faculty credential guidelines very closely. These are their faculty credential guidelines.

Quote:
When an institution defines faculty qualifications using faculty credentials, institutions should use the
following as credential guidelines:
a. Faculty teaching general education courses at the undergraduate level: doctorate or master’s
degree in the teaching discipline or master’s degree with a concentration in the teaching
discipline (a minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in the teaching discipline).

b. Faculty teaching associate degree courses designed for transfer to a baccalaureate degree:
doctorate or master’s degree in the teaching discipline or master’s degree with a concentration in
the teaching discipline (a minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in the teaching discipline).
http://www.sacscoc.org/pdf/081705/fa...redentials.pdf

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-16-2014 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: Please don't quote more than three sentences

Old 10-16-2014, 08:23 AM

Default Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Apparently the credentials required are more lax at your school than at ours.

Why do you teach there if you are questioning the requirements?
Well in my area (Western KY) our CC has saturated the market for technical jobs. I am forced to stay and make the best of it. I do have the credentials for my discipline, but our good ole boy network is continuing to rob the community of quality education. Hoping to find ways to improve our community's lack of quality education options...

Old 10-16-2014, 08:31 AM

Default Sacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I have never heard of such a thing. Is this a regionally accredited institution? CC instructors around here have a graduate degree at minimum, and most of them have PhDs.
We have gone through two SACS reviews/ audits over the past years- finishing the 2nd one last fall. We have no masters level instructors in our tech college teaching. We have one BS; one AS; and one Phd or Eds (not sure-they call him Dr.) that does online courses. The remainder have nothing....they call themselves teachers and have never heard of the NTE or PPST....

Old 10-16-2014, 08:57 AM

26,742 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Ours need to have at least a Master's in the subject that they're teaching.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:05 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
The CC I attended for awhile... Instructors were all PhD's.
I seriously doubt this. There are very few PhDs in subjects like accounting, computer science, fine arts, journalism, etc., which are all very popular community college subjects. Those that do have PhD's in those subjects would probably not work at a community college.

Honestly, I can't think of a single journalism professor, even at major colleges, that has a PhD. They are mostly former practicing journalists or editors.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:11 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,235,935 times
In my experience:
Academic subjects? Minimum of a Master's degree in the subject. Sometimes more.
Technical subjects? Usually a bachelors (minimum) and extensive work experience.
But every place's/department's criteria are different. In some cases way different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities