Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:58 PM

94 posts, read 132,239 times

Advertisements

I went to a college abroad and they recently shut down. will it be a problem when I apply for Grad school here in the U.S ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 07:01 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Yep. You're "screwed".

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-17-2014 at 01:59 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Yep. You're "screwed".
why ?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-17-2014 at 01:59 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 02:49 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Do you have your diploma? Do you have your transcripts? That's all that matters. If they just recently shut down, and you don't have your transcripts or grade reports, contact them ASAP to get your records.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:07 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Having a copy of the transcript is not going to solve the problem if the person wants to go to graduate school. Normally, the transcript has to be sent directly from the school to avoid potential forgery. In the U.S., when schools shut down, they usually find another school or the state's education agency to take over their records. Also, in the U.S., the diploma is not really worth much. Employers tend to want to see the transcript.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:23 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
This link may help you. From US Dept. of Education:
https://answers.ed.gov/link/portal/2...closed-schools

Old 10-18-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Having a copy of the transcript is not going to solve the problem if the person wants to go to graduate school. Normally, the transcript has to be sent directly from the school to avoid potential forgery. In the U.S., when schools shut down, they usually find another school or the state's education agency to take over their records. Also, in the U.S., the diploma is not really worth much. Employers tend to want to see the transcript.
Actually my school was basically bought by a different school but I have no idea who is storing graduated personal documents. I contacted some schools here in the U.S for Graduate studies, some wanted the transcripts to be sent directly from the home University and some only requested the transcripts to be evaluated by a foreign evaluation agency in the U.S. I have all the transcripts and everything.
SO I guess if I can get the evaluation I should be ok by applying for some grad schools. but still worried.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:59 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodster View Post
Actually my school was basically bought by a different school but I have no idea who is storing graduated personal documents. I contacted some schools here in the U.S for Graduate studies, some wanted the transcripts to be sent directly from the home University and some only requested the transcripts to be evaluated by a foreign evaluation agency in the U.S. I have all the transcripts and everything.
SO I guess if I can get the evaluation I should be ok by applying for some grad schools. but still worried.
It depends on whether or not the evaluation agencies want the transcripts sent directly from the school. If your school was bought by a different school, then the new school most likely has your records. Have you tried contacting their records department?

Old 10-18-2014, 02:45 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodster View Post
Instead of worrying and spending time posting on the internet, you should be contacting the new school that took over, to ask them if they have your documents. Is there a reason why you haven't done this yet?

Old 10-18-2014, 02:59 PM

before my school closed they told me that they will keep all students records under their name. no idea how this works. it's frustrating and annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities