Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 12:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
To your first comment I'm talking about internet starups not electronics startups totally different businesses and atmosphers.

As for speech therapist yes there is a different degree route but it all starts with the same communication classes. Also a classmate of mine works as an assistant and helper in schools and with speech therapy programs the state runs. Kinda like how a physical therapist physical therapy assistant one is able to do more and requires more education and training
Here is a good article about speech therapy assistants.
Frequently Asked Questions: Speech-Language Pathology Assistants (SLPAs)
As you can see, there are some educational requirements and some fieldwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 12:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
If my kid wanted to major in something pretty useless as far as making a living goes, I could live with that but I would try to insist on something practical for a minor. Everyone is entitled to their dreams but you need a fallback position! Maybe even better would be for that child to learn a trade like plumbing or electrician(something that can't be outsourced) and then go to school and study for the sake of learning. On their own time, on their own dime.

If it turned out that child was gifted enough to make a living from their dreams, even better. I would be happy for them. But I would still be grateful they had something else to fall back on just in case!

I still remember being angry my parents insisted I learn how to type. Because, dammit, *I* was never going to be anyone's secretary. They were right. I wasn't a secretary but since the computer age happened, everyone types.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:02 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
A humanities or social sciences degree from a 'prestigious' institution is perfectly practical. Skills are for the little people.
Exactly

Old 12-01-2014, 09:01 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
A humanities or social sciences degree from a 'prestigious' institution is perfectly practical. Skills are for the little people.
A pretty arrogant attitude that anyone who has a skill and isn't some academic is a little person or unimportant. In my experience hte people with all this knowledge are oftentimes the ones who know stuff in theory but not in practice. Some of the wealthiest people out there have skills they were able to parlay into a business. I can't imagine running a business and expecting employees to listen to me when I don't have any skills.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:03 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
There are some interesting definitions of "skills," here.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:04 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I guess if you view a college degree the same way as you view a hairdressing license that's true. However, higher education is not vocational training. There's only one way to use a hairdressing license but college educations are a bit more flexible.
I do not use analogies. I wrote in a straightforward manner. Can you explain exactly what you are referring to because I do not see what I wrote as equating a college degree to a hairdressing license. In fact, you have taken alternative definitions to what I have written since you responded to my posts.

Last edited by Felix C; 12-01-2014 at 10:21 AM..

Old 12-01-2014, 02:14 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I do not use analogies. I wrote in a straightforward manner. Can you explain exactly what you are referring to because I do not see what I wrote as equating a college degree to a hairdressing license. In fact, you have taken alternative definitions to what I have written since you responded to my posts.
I don't mean to speak for anyone else but what I thought the poster was trying to communicate is that though skills are great in that they are very targeted, at the same time they are limiting.

In the example of a hairdresser a women who goes to beauty school or cosmetology school could potentially walk into a salon day one and start working, what they learn is what they do on the job. Sure a salon may want to train you on their way of doing things but for all itnents and purposes you trained to do exactly what your job is. The upside is just that, the downside is that a hairdresser can't work a tattoo removal machine or a radiology machine.

On the flip side I went to school for communications. I could take my degree and go get a job in HR at a company, I could get a job in sales, I could get a job as an account manager for an insurance company. My degree is versatile which is nice, however my degree did not prepare me to start working day one. If I go to work for metlife sure I have the education and background and research skills to find answers to questions and hte intelligence to do the job, however I don't know how to walk into an insurance company and start checking on claims, I need to be fully trained by the ocmpany even though I went to college.

I think thats what that analogy was all about. A skill or trade prepares you very specifically for a certain job but at the same time you are typically limited to that job.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:29 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Appreciate the input.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I am referring to the idea that a person who gets a music degree is not using their degree unless they are performing music. When I write about "all or nothing" thinking I am writing about the idea that unless a person with a music degree is a performing musician their degree is useless. A music degree is much broader than a license to be a hairdresser. There are other jobs a person can get with a degree in music. That person can still be successful even if they have a job that does not involve music.

I have a good friend with an undergraduate degree in theater. She works at a bank making 6 figures and she is under 30 years old. Do you really see her degree as totally useless simply because she is not working in the theater industry?

Old 12-01-2014, 03:07 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I don't mean to speak for anyone else but what I thought the poster was trying to communicate is that though skills are great in that they are very targeted, at the same time they are limiting.

In the example of a hairdresser a women who goes to beauty school or cosmetology school could potentially walk into a salon day one and start working, what they learn is what they do on the job. Sure a salon may want to train you on their way of doing things but for all itnents and purposes you trained to do exactly what your job is. The upside is just that, the downside is that a hairdresser can't work a tattoo removal machine or a radiology machine.

On the flip side I went to school for communications. I could take my degree and go get a job in HR at a company, I could get a job in sales, I could get a job as an account manager for an insurance company. My degree is versatile which is nice, however my degree did not prepare me to start working day one. If I go to work for metlife sure I have the education and background and research skills to find answers to questions and hte intelligence to do the job, however I don't know how to walk into an insurance company and start checking on claims, I need to be fully trained by the ocmpany even though I went to college.

I think thats what that analogy was all about. A skill or trade prepares you very specifically for a certain job but at the same time you are typically limited to that job.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities