Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 09:35 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times

Advertisements

How marketable/employable would a certificate in environmental science/studies from a community college be? Classes focus on the environmental law, pollution, green technology, and resource management. I could also get a certificate in geology and hope to work as geology technician but would prefer a more global emphasis on the earth and the environment in general.

I already have a BA in a sociology and have been working a mundane office job since. I have recently developed a fascination with weather and climate but don't have the means to go back and do a masters in meterology (ALL the state universities here do not allow a second bachelor's degree and it's too expenisive to go out of state. If I wanted to do a master's in meteorology, I'd have to back and take all the undergrad classes though open enrollment which is way too costly). Since I already have a BA, I do not qualify for financial aid.

The closest thing I can afford to do to meteorology that requires only a certificate is work in environmental science or as a geology technician. I can continue working my office job and take classes in the evening and on Saturdays.

Please give me your insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 05:12 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Probably about zero. A degree in Environmental Health and Safety, coupled with a good internship, might open up some entry level work, although a lot of places want their EHS people to have four year degrees, I know some assistants work in the field with less than a BS.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:53 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times
Another option would me to take some prerequisite classes and then go for a masters program in one of the earth sciences but that would take a lot more planning ahead and saving.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:02 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Another option would me to take some prerequisite classes and then go for a masters program in one of the earth sciences but that would take a lot more planning ahead and saving.

And what are you going to do with that? Perhaps look at Geology and GIS.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:20 AM

200 posts, read 600,764 times
I would email or visit on campus a few of the instructors in the program you are looking at. Tell them about your plan. I'm sure they have encountered students before in the same situation as yourself and could provide some insight. Also, look into taking one or two classes first before enrolling into the full program to make sure it's really for you. Most community colleges will let you do that, especially if you already have a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities