Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 07:55 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,446 times

Advertisements

Does your college do anything unique (maybe just ordinary) to keep alumni interested in the college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Well nothing unique, but it does a ton of things. Alumni groups are huge. Contacts are very frequent. Outings and social events and volunteering happen all the time, despite being 1500 miles away (or so). I mean, that's all very normal. Newsletters. Magazines. Etc.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
No, in fact ours does nothing other than an infrequent newsletter and solicitation of donations. Since they are in another state, I'd never attend any kind of events anyway.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:21 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Events all over the world, including some very unique opportunities thanks to alumni in influential roles. I've gotten to meet lots of interesting and even famous people thanks to alumni networking or events.

Reunion is also super specialized for each class. My alma mater is fairly small (only 3,500 undergrads at a time and for much of our history, we were much smaller) but we have 4 full time staff members working on Reunion, plus about 50 students and 40 staff members who are all-hands-on-deck for the week before and during the weekensd, so Reunion committees get a LOT of attention. Reunion is far and away beyond what any other college I'm aware of offers. This year, one of the big events during Reunion will be a screening of a documentary on a famous figure associated with the school, and this person as well as the filmmakers will be there for a talkback. Pretty great opportunity!

There is also free access to the career center for life, and they have one full time staff members just dedicated to alumni programming, resume reviews, and mock interviews (which can be done via Skype).

Old 03-01-2015, 08:53 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,119,500 times
I don't know about unique but the alumni network is very active all over the world. The communication is very good, even outside of requests for money. They have meet-ups in various places on a regular basis, on-campus activities, homecoming, reunions and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities