Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 1,882 times

Advertisements

hi..guys

today I was in community collage in Portland and I asked financial aid how much the grant they told me 5700 and they will take some money from this amount to pay classes but I remember my friends in California they take all the 5700 and don't pay anything for classes I remember there is bog waiver its pay everything for classes in California my question is any different between California and Oregon in financial aid?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 03:46 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,623,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo83 View Post
hi..guys

today I was in community collage in Portland and I asked financial aid how much the grant they told me 5700 and they will take some money from this amount to pay classes but I remember my friends in California they take all the 5700 and don't pay anything for classes I remember there is bog waiver its pay everything for classes in California my question is any different between California and Oregon in financial aid?

thanks
The $5700 is presumably federal Pell Grant. In any case, you can't simply compare OR/CA community colleges.

For one, CA has lower tuition/fees as a base - less than half the cost of OR. And CA has the BOG where OR has the "OOG" - however Oregon significantly underfunds the OOG, so only something like 40% of students get funded.

If you're just applying for financial aid now in OR, then you missed the cutoff by 2 months, so yes, the first $4000 or so of your Pell would go to paying tuition/fees unless you qualify for grants/scholarships provided by the institution itself.

CA funds its higher ed system (and its state grant programs) far more extravagantly than OR does. On the bright side, you'll save a bit of money on housing in most OR markets compared to the CA equivalent. Edit- Portland is about on par with Sac., but less than LA/SF/etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities