Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 02:52 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,482,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
The entire thread is about for-profit universities. You mentioned that those that attended UOP were not scammed; that they paid for a degree and granted a degree. Unless you received a degree from UOP, not sure why you would defend a university that most know are there to make money and nothing really more than that. So, I naturally assumed you were a graduate-is this correct? If you are not a graduate of their university, then why defend them?

I did not say for you to go to UCLA, I was giving an example of how one typical degree mill for-profit university charges similar to a well-respected university such as UCLA, to make a point that for-profit universities are extremely expensive. Since I personally attended that particular university, I know for a fact they are only in it to make as much money as possible. That school did not even have their own building. I have been on the campus of UCLA, and spoke to staff and inquired about degree programs, I can understand they would charge $13,000 per year tuition; not a school that doesn't have a campus, it's own building, offers low-quality education, no bookstore, no places to study, no tutoring and the list goes on and on.
In general, I'm not a fan of the for-profit education industry, but having an argument riddled with factual errors hurts one's credibility. Public colleges and universities are the cheapest because they are subsidized by taxpayers. The next most expensive college group is for-profit colleges. The most expensive college group is private non-profits. A fairer comparison between the tuition rates among public schools and non-public schools would be to look at the out-of-state tuition rates at public schools.

Quote:
Colleges often report a combined tuition and fees figure. According to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2014–2015 school year was $31,231 at private colleges, $9,139 for state residents at public colleges, and $22,958 for out-of-state residents attending public universities.
What's the Price Tag for a College Education? - COLLEGEdata - Pay Your Way

Quote:
For the 2011–12 academic year, annual current dollar prices for undergraduate tuition, room, and board were estimated to be $14,300 at public institutions, $37,800 at private nonprofit institutions, and $23,300 at private for-profit institutions. Between 2001–02 and 2011–12, prices for undergraduate tuition, room, and board at public institutions rose 40 percent, and prices at private nonprofit institutions rose 28 percent, after adjustment for inflation. The inflation-adjusted price for undergraduate tuition, room, and board at private for-profit institutions was 2 percent lower in 2011–12 than in 2001–02.
Fast Facts

Without room and board and more recent figures from the 2014-2015 school year.

Public 4-year schools in-state: $9,139
Public 4-year schools out-of-state: $22,958
Private non-profit: $31,231
Private for-profit: $15,230
Average Published Undergraduate Charges by Sector, 2014-15 - Trends in Higher Education - The College Board

Let's use New Mexico State University as an example for undergraduate tuition. They charge New Mexico residents $247.90 per credit hour and give you a discount starting at credit #15. If you're not a New Mexico resident, you're charged $247.90 per credit hour for up to 6 credits. After that, they charge you $796.30 per credit hour.
http://hr.nmsu.edu/uar/wp-content/up...015-SPR_TF.pdf

Let's compare to American Military University which is a for-profit college. Everyone pays $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses regardless of their state of residency and how many credits they take. Additionally, they give you a book grant that covers all of the costs for your books.
Tuition & Fees | American Military University

Every school should be evaluated individually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 02:53 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,157,338 times
Quote:
It was significantly not marginally, better than UOP even when it was not considered the most prestigious school. That goes to show how much of a lower quality school UOP or many for-profit schools are in comparison to even a lower tier typical university. I was able to get somewhere in my career because the school itself had a good reputation and faculty (the teaching within the program itself could have been better).
Your anecdotal experience isn't saying as much as you think it is. Your experience may be one where you attended a traditional school that allowed you to do traditional academic research and have your name on published works. But not all non-profit schools provide this level of education and are just as bad as UoP.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post

They take taxpayers and students money and screw them over and you invested with those monsters.
They don't take taxpayer's money. Students choose to borrow from taxpayers and give the money to these for-profit schools. Investing in UoP is no different than investing in Johnson & Johnson. There's customers that are willing to drive the business.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Disagree yet again. For-profit universities are known for at times targeting gullible, low income people that are not suited at all for college level education. They are pushed through the degree program with administrators knowing they lack the skills to be successful and left with degrees that are not recognized or respected in the end. They are stuck with years of debt in which they are unable to repay. Some even lacked reading and comprehension skills that many have learned in grade school. I have encountered this several times in the short eight months I attended a for-profit school.
This is true of many non-profit schools as well.
Quote:

In any one of the typical universities I have attended, in all the 6 years I was a student, not one person struggled with basic reading or comprehension. Not saying a student that lacks the most basic skills has never attended a typical university, but they do not get far and they are certainly not pushed through and granted a degree.
This is an issue with our education system more than universities.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I get the distinct impression that certain people are so enamored of the free market - and, indeed, see it as a virtual panacea for producing superior products in almost all situations - that they simply cannot accept the fact that both public and private colleges and universities which exist primarily for the purpose of education and not for the purpose of turning a buck have very well-deserved reputations for educating that far exceed those institutions that exist primarily to make money.
You're misinformed if you think this is true. Many of the newer non-profit schools exist without providing education or making contributions to academia.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:59 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,145,154 times
Let's do another comparison. I randomly chose UOP Bachelor's of Information Technology with a emphasis on Software Engineering to undergraduate tuition at University of Washington: The estimated tuition and materials per year are as below:

University of Phoenix, campus option

Credits, tuition and fees

Yr 1: $10,960
Yr 2: $10,960
Yr 3: $11,635
Yr 4: $16,360
Yr 5: $16,360

Total: $66,275.00

University of Washington tuition and estimated materials:

Yr 1: $13,600
Yr 2: $13,600
Yr 3: $13,600
Yr 4: $13,600

Total: $54,400.00

I rest my case.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Indeed. A for-profit university is not in the same category as a university that is respected for providing a high-quality education. This is common accepted knowledge, and it doesn't matter how much one tries to deceive themselves. I supplied a comparison of the tuition of a for-profit college v. UCLA (a well-known, respected school), and the fees were very similar. If one cannot see how this is an unfavorable situation, I have little sympathy when the end results are poor.
The tuition example you supplied only applies to people living inside California who can take advantage of taxpayer subsidiaries. The real tuition without using taxpayer funds is close to $40,000 year (just tuition).

Old 05-03-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Let's do another comparison. I randomly chose UOP Bachelor's of Information Technology with a emphasis on Software Engineering to undergraduate tuition at University of Washington: The estimated tuition and materials per year are as below:

University of Phoenix, campus option

Credits, tuition and fees

Yr 1: $10,960
Yr 2: $10,960
Yr 3: $11,635
Yr 4: $16,360
Yr 5: $16,360

Total: $66,275.00

University of Washington tuition and estimated materials:

Yr 1: $13,600
Yr 2: $13,600
Yr 3: $13,600
Yr 4: $13,600

Total: $54,400.00

I rest my case.
Your figures are off. Tuition for UoW without taxpayer subsidies is $33,500 per year.
https://admit.washington.edu/Paying/...shmen-transfer

Old 05-03-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I did not say for you to go to UCLA
Yes basically did:

Quote:
You paid significantly more for your mediocre degree. I am sure you could have received a degrees from UCLA for the price you paid.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
So, I naturally assumed you were a graduate-is this correct? If you are not a graduate of their university, then why defend them?
I did not graduate there. I'm not defending them. I'm just pointing out that they aren't any worse than low quality non-profit schools in terms of quality of education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities