Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:10 PM

20 posts, read 13,422 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am very indecisive when it comes to my major as my situation is out of ordinary. Let me tell you about myself.
I am 29 years old and I already completed a college in my country. However, I moved to USA 4 years ago and finally I am able to do something with my life.

First, I want to go back to school and after considering few fields and careers I am down to two.

One is biomedical engineering and the other one is sonography.

I will give you a list of pros and cons for both programs.

Biomedical engineering:
Pros: I enjoy this kind of work and I am interested in this kind of stuff: research, materials, human body, etc... Salary is good too.
Cons: I am 29 and by time I graduate I will be 34 and only hold BA degree. Also, not sure if I will be able to find a job. If I have to go to grad school it will be 2 more years, so I will be 36 with a degree but no experience. Would anyone hire me?

Sonography:

Pros: It is only 3 years. I don't think experience is that important and no Masters degree is necessary. Also, finding a job shouldn't be that hard. Salary is nice too.

Cons:
I am ambitious and I don't think I would enjoy this career very much.

If I was in my 20s I wouldn't think twice about what I want. But now I am taking more factors into consideration.

Do you have any advice? What would you do? What are my chances of getting hired as an engineer without any experience?

And also, if anyone has any experience with these jobs, degrees I would like to hear your opinion.

Thank you.

Last edited by Bets101; 05-07-2015 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: adding info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 01:40 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bets101 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am very indecisive when it comes to my major as my situation is out of ordinary. Let me tell you about myself.
I am 29 years old and I already completed a college in my country. However, I moved to USA 4 years ago and finally I am able to do something with my life.

First, I want to go back to school and after considering few fields and careers I am down to two.

One is biomedical engineering and the other one is sonography.

I will give you a list of pros and cons for both programs.

Biomedical engineering:
Pros: I enjoy this kind of work and I am interested in this kind of stuff: research, materials, human body, etc... Salary is good too.
Cons: I am 29 and by time I graduate I will be 34 and only hold BA degree. Also, not sure if I will be able to find a job. If I have to go to grad school it will be 2 more years, so I will be 36 with a degree but no experience. Would anyone hire me?

Sonography:

Pros: It is only 3 years. I don't think experience is that important and no Masters degree is necessary. Also, finding a job shouldn't be that hard. Salary is nice too.

Cons:
I am ambitious and I don't think I would enjoy this career very much.

If I was in my 20s I wouldn't think twice about what I want. But now I am taking more factors into consideration.

Do you have any advice? What would you do? What are my chances of getting hired as an engineer without any experience?

And also, if anyone has any experience with these jobs, degrees I would like to hear your opinion.

Thank you.
Any Engineering: What is your math background? Physics background? Experience with building stuff?
For biomed, what is your chem background? Bio background?

What would you say is your aptitude for engineering, both in the classroom and at the work bench?

How competitive are you?

Have you taken classes in the US? If so, what?

Yes, age is working against you, but the answers to these questions will tell much.

S.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:17 AM

Thank you for taking your time to reply.

My math and physics background is ok, lets say good.
Chemistry and bio is excellent. I am very competitive and ambitious but haven't taken any classes in US, except for English language.

I am more interested in Chemistry then physics or building and my first choice was Pharmacy but since it takes looong to graduate I opted for biomed engineering (but to be honest not too familiar with the field)

Old 05-11-2015, 10:32 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Thank you for taking your time to reply.

My math and physics background is ok, lets say good.
Chemistry and bio is excellent. I am very competitive and ambitious but haven't taken any classes in US, except for English language.

I am more interested in Chemistry then physics or building and my first choice was Pharmacy but since it takes looong to graduate I opted for biomed engineering (but to be honest not too familiar with the field)
OP, I don't think your age will make a difference; you'd be considered on the same level as other newly-graduated candidates. You might even be able to work the age issue to your advantage, as you'd be more mature, dependable, blah blah.

I think the thing for you to do at this point is to research the field. See if you can find anyone to interview about their job (this is called "informational interviewing"), to find out more about it. How long would a Pharmacy degree take?

I suspect that you might eventually get bored with sonography, and that you probably need a field that will allow you to learn more and grow in the field. The biomed engineering would certainly have that advantage, if you're into the engineering part, which it sounds like you may not be. Pharmacy, on the other hand--what is it about that, that appeals to you? I could be wrong, but it seems like another dead-end street, to me. I imagine it would get pretty routine after awhile. Perhaps you could interview a couple of pharmacists.

These "informational interviews" are a fairly accepted part of job searching here (I don't know if anyone does this where you're from). You make a bunch of cold calls (calling people out of the blue, who work in the fields you're interested in), explain that you'd like to spend about 20 minutes talking to them about their work, as you're considering getting an education in their field and a couple of related fields. Ask them if they might have time to meet with you, at their convenience. Some people won't be interested, but you'll find those who would be kind enough to give you a little time. It might be hard to find biomedical engineers to interview. You'd have to research that online, to see if there are any companies in your area, and perhaps research the engineers they have on staff, so you'll sound informed about them if you get to talk to them. You can tailor a few questions to their specialties, and to their career trajectories, per their biographical info you may find online.

Since going back to school is a big decision, it's worth it to spend some time doing thorough research, as well as self-reflection, to make sure you come up with a good match, career-wise.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:55 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times
If you are geographically flexible, then you shouldn't have problem finding a job in biomedical engineering with a BS. I would not suggest doing an MS right away, instead it is better to find a job and then obtain MS in part time base.

Another option is to do Chemistry or chemical engineering (similar situation as biomed) but with chemistry they have lot of technician position that do lab work (many have BS from different country) but are hired due to having lab skill. While working you can obtain further degree.

If you are ambitious I would suggest may choose simple science field and then do MBA later on to get into management position. Also have you looked at whether your credits from your country transfer? That way, you can cut down few courses.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:05 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
I'll second what Ruth4Truth has written (good post!) . . . also, look at the available jobs and salaries. Are they really hiring or are those ghost jobs? Sometimes places will post job openings to make it look like they are doing better than they are.

My sense is that a lot of bio engineering positions are being cut due to the economy, but I don't have any links to back that up. That's my sense from talking with unemployed professionals.

These days, I'm advising people with a degree to get jobs first and then worry about changing careers or getting an advanced degree. That is, network for awhile and learn more inside information about places before you plunk down anymore money on classes. No longer is anything a sure bet, even something like nursing because hospitals and health care facilities may have hiring freezes!

Old 05-11-2015, 12:37 PM

Thank you, these are some great suggestions. I was thinking about chemical engineering but it seems that finding a job in this field is very hard (at least that is what I have heard).

Credit transfers are probably not possible as I studied languages (yeah languages ) in my country.

Btw pharmacy would probably take 8 years and a lot of money.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:40 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Thank you, these are some great suggestions. I was thinking about chemical engineering but it seems that finding a job in this field is very hard (at least that is what I have heard).

Credit transfers are probably not possible as I studied languages (yeah languages ) in my country.

Btw pharmacy would probably take 8 years and a lot of money.
OK, well, I was comparing that with biomed engineering, which you were saying might add up to 6 years, if you count an MA program. I didn't know Pharmacy was 8 years. So, it's basically like med school? What about nursing? It pays well, and seems challenging, meaning you can keep learning new things, move into a different specialty once you have some experience, and keep growing professionally. You could, at some point, go beyond the initial 4 years, so that you could work as a Physician's Assistant, almost an MD.

Just a thought. ^^

You can add chemical engineering to your list of informational interview research. I suspect there are a lot of chem engineering jobs: oil companies, biomed research and pharmaceutical companies, academic research labs.... even light industry/consumer products research & development labs. One key to getting your foot in the door, job-wise, is to find summer internships in the field.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:52 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Screw the sciences. The jobs are not there and high paying like people in the high school counselor's office make it sound.

Go for Finance or Economics.

Get in and out of college with low debt, make money early and start a business.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:32 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
I can tell you from first hand experience that your age will definitely work against you in engineering.

I don't know what your prior work experience is in, but if you are going into Biomedical Engineering fresh at age 36 or older, it's going to be much tougher. Sonography probably less so.

That said, if you cannot parlay your prior experience, then it's no difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities