Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 05:49 PM

11 posts, read 10,122 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know how the majority of college educated professionals view a female who is a college drop out, yet has a respectable job making 40K yearly?

I do understand that many people look down on uneducated people who are on government benefits or unable to financially provide for their family. However, do those same negative views pertain to college drop outs that have decent jobs and sustain themselves?

I am guessing the opinion varies based upon if the 40k yearly earner is male or female?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 08:24 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheMove7 View Post
I am curious to know how the majority of college educated professionals view a female who is a college drop out, yet has a respectable job making 40K yearly?

I do understand that many people look down on uneducated people who are on government benefits or unable to financially provide for their family. However, do those same negative views pertain to college drop outs that have decent jobs and sustain themselves?

I am guessing the opinion varies based upon if the 40k yearly earner is male or female?
No, they don't care. Once you're self sufficient, no one cares how you got there. Yes they look down on those on the dole but if you're not, you're not. I'm one of the most educated people on my block. I do not care that my neighbor on one side is skilled trades and his wife works in a bank or that my neighbor on the other side is in heating and cooling...well actually I do care about that one if my furnace goes out. He's really handy to have around in an emergency on a cold winter night.

My opinion of someone is not based on their level of education. It's based on their work ethic. My dss never went to college but his family is well cared for and that is all that matters. There are many ways to be successful. In some ways I respect people who did it without an education more because I know they took that harder path. An education gets your foot in the door. It gives you a leg up. I would never have had any success in life without one because I lack the skills to be successful without one. I'm not good with my hands. I'm not built for physical labor. I'm not working my way up to management. I had to get an education or be stuck in dead end jobs. I'm happy for people who didn't have to and a little jealous. I had to spend 4 years in college and thousands of dollars just to get started. They didn't.

I think uneducated people assume that educated people look down on them when we don't. My niece who has a PhD is married to a chef who never went to school. What matters is they love each other and between the two of them they pay the bills.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:34 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
Generally I would say no, most people don't care. If you have a job and live decently people aren't going to hold themselves above you. In fact, it might not even come up in the first place.

I will add a caveat that this might depend on where you live and the social circles you run in. Some areas have more snobs than others.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:38 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:

Depends on who you're talking to. I'm a college drop out and someone got on my case for not knowing that University of Pennsylvania was an Ivy League school, specifically known for Wharton School of Business. Think their reply was something along the lines of, "You must have went to a pretty low grade school to not know what Wharton is" or something to that effect. But then...that was on C-D, so go figure.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:25 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:

it depends on why and what story you can spin.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:57 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,625,561 times
Depends on if you are speaking with a snob or not. Many of my high school classmates who didn't go to college are doing just as well (some even better) than college grads.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:57 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,394,271 times
Hey if you spent $0 on college (didn't go) and got a job making $40k a year you're doing a heck of a lot better than someone who spent $200k on a college degree so they could make $40k a year.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I don't think college graduate or not makes any difference, some people making over 100k would still look down on someone making only $40k. On the other hand, many of us have respect for anyone able to make a living at any occupation in such a high cost-of-living area. An example is our neighbors, neither college graduates. They manage on the husband's low wages and commission selling flooring, while the wife was laid off in 2008 and hasn't been employed since.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:02 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
I wouldn't even use the vernacular "drop out" to describe someone who has not finished college. High School, yes, but not college.

There are myriad reasons someone might not finish college, and ample opportunities for that person to have a good job with a good income and be an expert at what they do- regardless of what that happens to be.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:03 PM

187 posts, read 270,494 times
Only a true snob would care if someone is a college dropout. This type of person would probably also scoff at you if you have a degree a school they view as sub-par.

As long as you work hard for what you have and aren't living off the government or someone else's bankroll, you're good in my book. I've been the drop-out, was successful but went back to school for a degree to further my opportunities. I know plenty of people with no college degree who make 6-figure salaries, and I also know people with multiple Master's degrees who work retail. The important part is working for what you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities