Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:30 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

Hi, bit of a background I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Justice and Law Administration. Worked five year's in healthcare 3 in the ER, a year in the OR, and close to 4 in Psych. I really enjoy Psych and can see myself doing work as a Psych nurse.

Been doing research regarding nursing school and the way to go is you need your BSN. I looked into accelerated program's, found one with a rolling admission. My only concern would be the crunching of all material in such short time period would cause me to fail.

I was then considering the ADN or BSN route. Concern with the ADN program is the dreaded wait list I hear about...average time has dropped for the college's since they changed the programs around...about 2 1/2 to 3 year wait time when wait listed. I am 28 would want to get started with nursing career sooner than later.

For the ADN program can complete my prerequisites next Spring can send my application in the following November for the CC program's able to apply to 3.

In November, can apply to the accelerated program as well.

Now my GPA from my previous degree isn't stellar so depending on my science courses to be my best reflection of my GPA.

Now the programs wouldn't finish until for the Accelerated Nursing Program until the Spring of 2018. The ADN program would finish at the end of Spring 2019.

Now thinking financially and experience. I make same rate of pay as an LPN working as a psych tech, actually two of my co workers are LPNs.

The LPN program in the state is cheap only $10,000 and starts in the Fall and the Spring. You go to school for three semester's. You don't go to class during the summer and includes some of the science classes in the ADN and BSN program's.

The plus is you finish in the Spring of 2017 and you are a nurse. I did research on the job market can find mostly per diem job's. If i could find work would then apply to a BSN program, be done in 2 year's. Takes normally one year to do the LPN to RN Bridge for the ADN program, but figure apply as a new grad to a BSN program if can skip a few of the first year nursing classes. Be done 2019.

The other option is I am trying hard to find work in the psych field at night, but most slots are filled by CNAs/Multi Skilled Tech's. Then doing the BSN or ADN program working at night.

Appreciate any feedback.

On a side note most hospital's once finish RN school.can't work as a CNA anymore. However, as an LPN you can continue to work as a CNA/PCT.

Also saw some really interesting CNA job's such as one in an ICU unit where they train you further than EKGs how to recognise different rhythms.

Last edited by RunD1987; 05-25-2015 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 10:08 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times
It really differs depending on where you live but in my area, you would not get hired in a hospital with an LPN and the pay difference between an LPN and a BSN more than makes up for the program costs and time involved. The salaries are more than double for a BSN vs LPN and most LPN jobs are home health care or nursing home. Go right for the BSN, in the long run it will be a better decision.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:24 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Appreciate the feedback. Yeah LPN hourly rate is $25 an hour about $3 less an hour then a new ADN nurse. Believe most BSN nurs make about $40 an hour here, some $50. Most of the job's found working as a LPN were in gorup homes, VNA service's, and mental health services use them. I found maybe 10 LPN job's in the state so market is dry.. The hospital's are mostly magnet status they use their LPNs to the ranks in home health care field, but not hospital setting. Also noticed in a few area hospitals hire LPNs over Medical Assistants in their offices i noticed. I mean BSN/MSN is my goal I am worried I can't financially afford the program or manage an accelerated program work load. I need to at least still work 24 hour's to keep my head above water with bills.

Appreciate the feedback. Guess have till November to decide the direction want to go.

Last edited by RunD1987; 05-25-2015 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-25-2015, 01:45 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
I'm an HR Director in the healthcare industry and I hire both LPN's and RN's. While I don't agree with the poster above that the salaries for a BSN are double that of an LPN I do recommend that you get the BSN and become an RN as there are more jobs out there.

We start LPN's between $23-$25/hour and start RN's between $32-$34/hour. That's no where near double. Heck, the Director of Nursing (highest paid RN in the building) doesn't get paid double an LPN's salary.

Last edited by LBTRS; 05-25-2015 at 01:59 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'm an HR Director in the healthcare industry and I hire both LPN's and RN's. While I don't agree with the poster above that the salaries for a BSN are double that of an LPN I do recommend that you get the BSN and become an RN as there are more jobs out there.

We start LPN's between $23-$25 and start RN's between $32-$34. That's no where near double. Heck, the Director of Nursing (highest paid RN in the building) doesn't get paid double an LPN's salary.
In your building, that doesn't mean its the same everywhere. LPNs here start out at about $25,000/year because the only jobs they can get are in nursing homes, hospital nurses, however, with a BSN start around $55,000, more for shift differential. LPN's top out at about $40,000, BSN's are well over $100,000 after about 7 years.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
In your building, that doesn't mean its the same everywhere. LPNs here start out at about $25,000/year because the only jobs they can get are in nursing homes, hospital nurses, however, with a BSN start around $55,000, more for shift differential. LPN's top out at about $40,000, BSN's are well over $100,000 after about 7 years.
LPN's start at $12/hour where you're at??? Come on, CNA's make more than that. You're not being honest or you don't know better.

We have LPN's making $70k/year.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
LPN's start at $12/hour where you're at??? Come on, CNA's make more than that. You're not being honest or you don't know better.

Yes..again, nursing home jobs....supply and demand....cost of living differences too....BSN's are in demand so their salary is slightly inflated, most hospitals are offering $10,000 sign-on bonuses for BSN's too. CNA's start at $9/hour here.

Old 05-25-2015, 03:39 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Quote:

I spent 10+ years in HR Management in the Healthcare Industry, and my experience in relation to compensation was far closer to Qwerty's description than LBTRS's. I never heard of an LPN making 70K/year. I've been out of the industry for several years, so I'm sure compensation has changed, but I would be surprised if the norm was so high for LPNs on a National scale. LBTRS must be in a fairly unique market.

And, an LPN was not considered in the same professional category as an RN by any stretch. For that matter, we made a pretty significant distinction between an ADN and a BSN. When times were tough and the market for RN's was tight, we would hire ADN's. But, the BSN was always strongly preferred and was (and will remain) the "gold standard".

Old 05-25-2015, 04:49 PM

Perhaps our market (Sun City AZ) commands a higher level for LPNs then the rest of the country?

LPNs at the top of the wage scale can easily clear $70k with overtime.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:15 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Perhaps our market (Sun City AZ) commands a higher level for LPNs then the rest of the country?

LPNs at the top of the wage scale can easily clear $70k with overtime.
CNA around here is a $9 or so an hour job.

Do you have so many LPNs because you have a lot of nursing homes/elderly population?

An LPN makes nowhere near that in my area.

Hospitals will not hire any nurse who does not have a BSN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities