Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 01:48 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,922,680 times

Advertisements

I know when we think gen studies- we think easy classes and basket weaving. Is it worth it to get a bachelors in gen studies with a concentration in biology? or is it not the same as a bachelors in biology. i dont want jobs to be turned off if they see gen studies. I would love to go to pa school afterwards but i still want to be able to find work in healthcare just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 02:13 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,499,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
I know when we think gen studies- we think easy classes and basket weaving. Is it worth it to get a bachelors in gen studies with a concentration in biology? or is it not the same as a bachelors in biology. i dont want jobs to be turned off if they see gen studies. I would love to go to pa school afterwards but i still want to be able to find work in healthcare just in case.
I know you're referring to Charter Oak State College. I think there are other colleges that mostly offer concentrations instead of majors. COSC's concentrations aren't concentrations in the usual sense. They are pretty much equivalent to majors. How employers will perceive it, I do not know.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:18 PM

22,648 posts, read 47,828,778 times
Quote:
. Is it worth it to get a bachelors in gen studies with a concentration in biology?
"Worth it" in what way? What is your end game in going that route?

Old 05-21-2015, 02:31 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,634,797 times
If you want to work in healthcare, why don't you start with an RN degree (2 years), work for a few years, and see if you can't get on with a hospital that will pay for your next two years?

If your endgame is healthcare, don't mess around with a 4-year degree in general studies.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:06 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,128,567 times
A biology degree will be more useful but neither are a great "fall back" degree for much of anything. Chemistry would be a better "fall back" degree because you would at least be able to get a lab job. I would look into a public health degree if you want to go to PA school. The combination of the two would probably give you an almost 100% chance of getting loan forgiveness if you agree to work in an underserved area. It would also give you a BIG foot in the door for PA schools in general.

General studies degrees are best for those that want a college degree but do not want to actually do anything after they graduate.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:12 PM

because i already have college credits. im not trying to do 4 years all over again. biology gives me plenty of options. i can go to pa or np school. if i wanna skip grad school and start working. i can work in food safety, work for the USDA. i can be a nutritionist or dietician. so many possibilities.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:23 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,128,567 times
Quote:
because i already have college credits. im not trying to do 4 years all over again. biology gives me plenty of options. i can go to pa or np school. if i wanna skip grad school and start working. i can work in food safety, work for the USDA. i can be a nutritionist or dietician. so many possibilities.
Most of those would be better served with a Chemistry degree. To be a Nutritionist or Dietitian you would need to go on and get a Masters.

For PA school, you don't need a biology degree, you just need to fulfill the pre-reqs and then get a degree in whatever. Most go biology or chemistry, or biochem because it's just easier with scheduling. For a NP, you need to get your BSN first.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:29 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,499,525 times
Quote:
If you don't have a degree that meets the requirements to become a registered dietitian or nutritionist, then you will need to complete a post-baccalaureate program or get a second bachelor's. A biology degree does not qualify someone to be a nutritionist/dietitian.

The OP has already been told some of these things on another forum.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
If you don't have a degree that meets the requirements to become a registered dietitian or nutritionist, then you will need to complete a post-baccalaureate program or get a second bachelor's. A biology degree does not qualify someone to be a nutritionist/dietitian.

The OP has already been told some of these things on another forum.
right you still have to do more schooling. im just wondering if pa schools or going to grad school for nutrition. will they look at a gen studies degree with bio concentration differently?

Old 05-21-2015, 04:54 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,081,867 times
Depends on what you want to do.

If you want to work solidly in biology of some sort, then get a biology degree.

If, on the other hand, you want to work somewhere where having an understanding of biology would be useful, where you can be their resident expert (reading a lot more) without them spending the money to have a real biologist on site, then it may be possible. Say a teacher, law enforcement, perhaps even a mercenary.

The catch is on that second path is that you have to develop ways to sell yourself with more than just the parchment.

Quote:
Won't your other college credits transfer? My first degree as in Engineering Technology-Telecommunications, my second, a decade later, was in Marine Biology. A lot of what I did before transferred. I didn't have to do the math, physics, or freshman chemistry. My high school french cleared out my college language requirement. Etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-21-2015 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities