Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,814 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

First post. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Here's the deal, May will mark three years since I graduated from Florida State University. In these 3 years, I have struggled mightily to find work that's worth while, both financially and mentally. My original degree was English with an emphasis in editing, writing and media.

All I have been able to find have been glorified internships barely above minimum wage, or inside sales jobs. While I haven't been terrible at phone sales, it's not what I want to do with my life and I don't like the constant pressure of having to hit numbers by calling random people over the phone and getting them to give you their credit card.

Something I'm currently debating is going back to school to right the ship. I feel like I'm young enough that I can afford to do that - thankfully I graduated with no debt and I'm smart financially, so I have money, even if it's not much, stashed away in investment accounts and a 401k.

Here's what I'm thinking of for options:

A second degree in accounting. The reason this appeals to me is because I know if I work hard and do well in school, there is always a need for accountants and it can be a great career path. Additionally, the school I would end up at (FAU) has a great program, especially if I can get into the honors program. No, it's not what I love to do or what I enjoy, but I've given up on trying to find something in those areas.

The other option I've thought about is getting an MBA in an area like Information Systems or in another specialization. I've been told a MBA can erase a bad first degree, but what worries me about this idea is the fact that it isn't specific like accounting with a "clear path" per se.

I'll be 25 years old next week. I want to find a career and at this point it feels like I need to hit the reset button by going back to school for a change. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, even if it's not what I want to hear.

Thanks folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 01:36 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
I don't think going back to school is going to change things dramatically. You need to find a more career track oriented job anywhere in the country first, then find something that goes along with the new career.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't think going back to school is going to change things dramatically. You need to find a more career track oriented job anywhere in the country first, then find something that goes along with the new career.
This is my thought as well when talking about the MBA path. However, accounting, at least I feel, would dramatically change things simply because of how specific it is. I guess I could be wrong though.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:51 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,761,672 times
Accounting: are there any accounting job openings in your area? Have you looked? You may get out and still not be able to find a job.

IS: are you technically inclined? Can you set up a home network, build a computer, fix someone else's computer when it breaks?

What you should do is look at job openings in your area. Real jobs. Find a few jobs, real jobs, you would be okay with and would pay what you can live with. Figure out what kind of school you need to get those jobs.

Pick the job first, then the degree to support the job. The other way is backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities