Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2015, 09:10 AM

155 posts, read 165,740 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to be accepted in a master program in engineering for someone with a Business administration degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 01:11 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,133,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichig View Post
Is it possible to be accepted in a master program in engineering for someone with a Business administration degree?
For pretty much any engineering grad program (good or terrible), coming from that background, you'd have to bridge into the grad program with all of the engineering undergrad prerequisites. Depending on the program, you either have some courses to make up or basically the whole undergrad lot.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:57 PM

5,052 posts, read 6,362,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichig View Post

I came to engineering late myself. I do think it's possible-much easier in some disciplines than others-but regardless, your mathematical preparation will be deficient. At least, mine was and I had to make a real effort to fix the problem. You will need to take some serious catch up math classes (it would be to your advantage to do them over time BEFORE committing if you can to be sure you can handle it) and will most likely be conditionally accepted, contingent on achieving a certain grade point average in first semester.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:30 PM

12,888 posts, read 9,127,934 times
You'll also need to look into the specific branch of engineering and see what core courses you need to complete to be able to work the grad level courses. Just for example, if you don't have an undergrad course in, say, circuits, it will be kind of hard to do EE.

Unless you got a lot of engineering in your business degree, you may be looking at two years worth of undergrad engineering courses first.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:25 PM

17,718 posts, read 29,906,604 times
Which is why you should always get the Engine degree(s) first.
Getting a MBA after is a walk in the park.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:00 AM

394 posts, read 436,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Which is why you should always get the Engine degree(s) first.
Getting a MBA after is a walk in the park.
this.

Engineering is a TERRIFIC undergrad degree... the best one(IMO) honestly.

But in all honesty, to the OP

Are you going for an MS in Engineering to be an "Engineer" or for job prospects?

I'm sure if you did something like a Masters in Applied Mathematics/Statistics/Finance would be an easier/shorter route for you

Old 07-31-2015, 09:28 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,415,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
this.

Engineering is a TERRIFIC undergrad degree... the best one(IMO) honestly.

But in all honesty, to the OP

Are you going for an MS in Engineering to be an "Engineer" or for job prospects?

I'm sure if you did something like a Masters in Applied Mathematics/Statistics/Finance would be an easier/shorter route for you
Exactly.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:18 AM

83 posts, read 104,864 times
Why you want to do engineering? I don't think it is possible. You can change your field if it is possible. I have seen a lot of programs that require a master's degree. I have completed my Master Degree in Construction Management. A Master's degree program in construction management provides learners with knowledge and coaching in various areas, such as development methods, cost evaluation, and legalities.
Many applications highlight technological expertise and provide training in various technological innovations and applications. The average construction manager earns $85,630 per year, as of May 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities