Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 07:30 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,337 times

Advertisements

So, I've been working in the mental health field for a long while now and plan to stay in it or at minimum a related field. However, the pay is pretty bad. I really don't want to go for an master's of social work. Some people with that degree make around $40,000/yr (if they can even get jobs). I make more than that now (even though I kind of have to kill myself for it by working 2 jobs).

What I'm looking for pretty much is a 40 hr per week job that pays around $80,000-$100,000 and is in a field related to mental health. I know it's possible. For example I know you can get that by working in surgical pathology, which isn't exactly related to mental health directly, but is in the medical field. And you don't need an MD to do it.

So, if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 07:50 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Look into a masters in health information or health informatics. It's a growing field and folks with MHI's are snapped up pretty quickly.

Here's one MHI example at the University of Michigan that will give you an idea of what this type of masters is all about and the career opportunities it can lead to: http://healthinformatics.umich.edu/about

http://healthinformatics.umich.edu/careers

There are others MHI programs out there as well - a quick search on google should turn them up. Good luck with your career change!

Old 09-02-2015, 06:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Mental health clinicians don't make incredible bank for the amount of schooling and associated costs required in general, but at least where I am, counseling therapists with full licensure and psychologists do outearn social workers. I can't speak to the 40 hour a week limitation, however, because all the ones I know work more, with many doing adjunct grad level instructing in addition to being individual practitioners.

Much direct mental health work, though, like the majority of human services, does fall lower on the salary scale...so it really depends on the context in which it is most important to you to work in mental health.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:54 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Somewhat related to mental health, specifically, but an MS in I/O psychology would likely get you close to an 80-100k/yr job within a few years in a high COLA.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:37 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
So, I've been working in the mental health field for a long while now and plan to stay in it or at minimum a related field. However, the pay is pretty bad. I really don't want to go for an master's of social work. Some people with that degree make around $40,000/yr (if they can even get jobs). I make more than that now (even though I kind of have to kill myself for it by working 2 jobs).

What I'm looking for pretty much is a 40 hr per week job that pays around $80,000-$100,000 and is in a field related to mental health. I know it's possible. For example I know you can get that by working in surgical pathology, which isn't exactly related to mental health directly, but is in the medical field. And you don't need an MD to do it.

So, if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them Thanks in advance!
Occupational Therapist (yes, I am one but not in mental health, although many OTs are).

Old 09-02-2015, 03:09 PM

396 posts, read 409,968 times
Second Occupational Therapy. Excellent pay, good outlook, decent hours, and is heavily associated with mental health.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:37 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Highest ROI

Petroleum Engineering

Old 09-03-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Petroleum Engineering

"What I'm looking for pretty much is a 40 hr per week job that pays around $80,000-$100,000 and is in a field related to mental health."

Old 09-03-2015, 03:48 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
Second Occupational Therapy. Excellent pay, good outlook, decent hours, and is heavily associated with mental health.
For those who said occupational therapy, that is actually one career I've been really thinking about. I was wondering how long it takes to get to that $80,000-$100,000 number and if it is closer to the $80,000 or $100,000? Generally speaking of course as I know it varies greatly.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
For those who said occupational therapy, that is actually one career I've been really thinking about. I was wondering how long it takes to get to that $80,000-$100,000 number and if it is closer to the $80,000 or $100,000? Generally speaking of course as I know it varies greatly.
Truthfully if you do mental health, you probably won't get to that amount as it's usually a public sector job. The biggest salaries are in skilled nursing facilities, home health and travel jobs (which are mostly SNFs and not always far from home).

Mental health is not considered a priority in our country (as evidenced by the awful things happening today) and is never going to pay a lot. Even psychiatrists don't make that much compared to other docs.

However....the mentally ill people, when they start getting old and sick, do end up in nursing homes, I work with many of them daily, so you could get both.

More money comes with more experience. I would not take a travel job or Home Health job without at least a year or two of experience. But I think if you like mental health, you will like nursing facilities. In both settings you get to know people and form bonds with them which is rare in modern health care.

You also make the most by working per diem rather than full-time, but again I think you should have experience for that. When they pay you a per diem rate, they expect you to be able to hit the ground running.

You could start in the 70's+ though, depending where. Places that have a harder time getting people pay the most (bad neighborhoods, boondock rural areas, just old crappy poorly run places, etc. I actually don't mind those places. I feel more needed in those places versus the wealthy areas I've worked in, and I like that. You'll get more of your mental health pop in those places, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities