Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 08:10 AM

17,424 posts, read 22,186,203 times

Advertisements

Univ of Phoenix according to wikipedia:
History
The university was founded by John Sperling. Started in 1976 in the Phoenix metropolitan area, the first class consisted of eight students. In 1980, the school expanded to San Jose, California, and in 1989, the university launched its online program.
In 1994, University of Phoenix leaders made the decision to take the parent company, Apollo Group public. Capital from Wall Street launched the school. Phoenix had more than 100,000 students within the first five years of going public. Growth in the company made John Sperling a billionaire.
From 2010 until 2012 enrollment declined, reportedly from growth of competition and negative press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 11:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Something else that isn't addressed here is the quality of online teaching. In my own experience, schools that are distance learning such as Kaplan and UofP do a much better job of teaching online. Some of the large colleges and small ones do a **** poor job of teaching online because they are ingrained with knowing how to deal with teaching online.

Personally, I would get "more" education out of a supposedly inferior college where the professors know how to teach online vs professors at a "real" college I can barely understand because they barely speak english.

And no, I got my degree from a reasonably respected run of the mill state institution.
I find the quality of online instruction varies even within a school or a department.

I don't prefer online coursework. I am in a program where certain courses are ONLY offered online, though that's not the case for the majority of the coursework. I also have many classes that, though they meet on campus and are not designated online classes, have significant online components, whether that involves participating in class discussions on a class messageboard via online learning management systems, or accessing supplemental material via the same interface, etc. Some instructors are very proficient with and comfortable with online instruction and use it well. Others don't. Some classes are set up to be run well online, and others don't really lend themselves as well to that as a class where people interact face-to-face.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:34 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,758,030 times
Those are the only flexible options especially during the daytime. Even classes at my community college don't run past 6:30

Old 12-17-2015, 03:28 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,497,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Those are the only flexible options especially during the daytime. Even classes at my community college don't run past 6:30
This is why people have to do their research. Every school is different. Most of the classes in the criminal justice master's program at Texas State University start at 6:30 pm. Almost all of the criminal justice doctoral courses start at 6:30 pm. Austin Community College in Texas has many classes that run past 6:30 pm, and I'm sure there are plenty of other community college districts in other places with late classes. If there aren't any local options, then there are plenty of online options that are better than attending most for-profits online or on ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities