Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 05:12 PM

678 posts, read 698,012 times

Advertisements

So Ill be staring community college soon. And my initial plan is to transfer to a university (out of the country preferably) and I know the transfer process can be a little tricky so someone suggested that an associates can transfer easier. So my plan would be to knock out Community college and move to a different country ( Thinking about one of the cheaper cities in Europe) get half decent job to pay the bills and find a school to get my bachelors. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? With an associates I read online that I can't get a " great" job but it'll definitely put me ahead somewhat. I want to Pursue a career in publishing ( books, proofreading etc..) and magazines (editor somewhere in fashion). I know someone's gonna ask why I don't want to do college in the USA and the reason being is really just an excuse to travel, make friends, hopefully network for future careers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 05:26 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
So Ill be staring community college soon. And my initial plan is to transfer to a university (out of the country preferably) and I know the transfer process can be a little tricky so someone suggested that an associates can transfer easier. So my plan would be to knock out Community college and move to a different country ( Thinking about one of the cheaper cities in Europe) get half decent job to pay the bills and find a school to get my bachelors. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? With an associates I read online that I can't get a " great" job but it'll definitely put me ahead somewhat. I want to Pursue a career in publishing ( books, proofreading etc..) and magazines (editor somewhere in fashion). I know someone's gonna ask why I don't want to do college in the USA and the reason being is really just an excuse to travel, make friends, hopefully network for future careers.
It's not a very good plan for several reasons.

First, there probably are no cheap cities in Europe.

Second, they sometimes have "out of state/country" tuition, which would be extremely expensive for you.

Third, you are not allowed to work in other countries, just as international students here are not allowed to work. Even if you find some work, it would need to be part time, would be illegal (thus even lower paid), and would probably not pay the bills.

If that's not enough, your career plans are also not realistic. Editing and publishing and proofreading and dying professions thanks to computers and online book sales. There are very few jobs left like that.

Jobs at fashion magazines are very competitive, and you would need to have a good resume of fashion experience, as well as digital/print media, social media skills, and so on. And then it would still be competitive. A degree in English by itself is probably not enough. I'm not sure what is, but you should do the research now, before you start down that path.

I'm not saying that studying overseas and working in fashion is impossible, but you need to do a lot more research.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:41 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post

Second, they sometimes have "out of state/country" tuition, which would be extremely expensive for you.

Third, you are not allowed to work in other countries, just as international students here are not allowed to work. Even if you find some work, it would need to be part time, would be illegal (thus even lower paid), and would probably not pay the bills.
Not necessarily true. I know 4 people studying in Budapest. Rent runs about 300/month for a 2 bedroom apartment. Non-EU tuition is about $3000/semester. When you get your student visa, you can ask for a work or a non-work visa, which allows you to work during school, in an internship type situation or not. many baccalaureate programs and almost all master's level programs are in English.

Some universities (depending on the country) do not charge tuition at all. But not all European cities are "cheap" to live in.

You need to decide what you want to study, though. I would suggest contacting admissions at a few universities you are interested in, and seek advice from them.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Not necessarily true. I know 4 people studying in Budapest. Rent runs about 300/month for a 2 bedroom apartment. Non-EU tuition is about $3000/semester. When you get your student visa, you can ask for a work or a non-work visa, which allows you to work during school, in an internship type situation or not. many baccalaureate programs and almost all master's level programs are in English.

Some universities (depending on the country) do not charge tuition at all. But not all European cities are "cheap" to live in.

You need to decide what you want to study, though. I would suggest contacting admissions at a few universities you are interested in, and seek advice from them.

I know not ALL cities but I know places like berlin, Poland, parts of Bulgaria etc. ive seen are pretty reasonable.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:46 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
No! Waste of your time and money.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:58 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post

If that's not enough, your career plans are also not realistic. Editing and publishing and proofreading and dying professions thanks to computers and online book sales. There are very few jobs left like that.

Jobs at fashion magazines are very competitive, and you would need to have a good resume of fashion experience, as well as digital/print media, social media skills, and so on. And then it would still be competitive. A degree in English by itself is probably not enough. I'm not sure what is, but you should do the research now, before you start down that path.

I'm not saying that studying overseas and working in fashion is impossible, but you need to do a lot more research.
The bolded part is very important. Even back in my day (Dinosaurs) people did not usually major in English if they wanted to get a job. Most of those people are now retired and I personally know three who majored in English. Two wanted to be proof readers but only ended up getting low paying part time jobs that lasted a short time while needing to pursue another full time job. The third person taught high school English for a few years but worked as a secretary for the rest of her working life.

I'm not saying to not major in English but just that it's not a very marketable degree and a proofreading job is almost unheard of. Sadly, some of the most interesting subjects are not very useful. That doesn't mean that they aren't worth studying though.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The bolded part is very important. Even back in my day (Dinosaurs) people did not usually major in English if they wanted to get a job. Most of those people are now retired and I personally know three who majored in English. Two wanted to be proof readers but only ended up getting low paying part time jobs that lasted a short time while needing to pursue another full time job. The third person taught high school English for a few years but worked as a secretary for the rest of her working life.

I'm not saying to not major in English but just that it's not a very marketable degree and a proofreading job is almost unheard of. Sadly, some of the most interesting subjects are not very useful. That doesn't mean that they aren't worth studying though.

I understand but at the same time I don't want to study then graduate and work a minimum wage job.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:02 PM

912 posts, read 915,628 times
Quote:
I understand but at the same time I don't want to study then graduate and work a minimum wage job.
Sadly, in this economy, a lot of graduates do, so pick you major wisely. Maybe a dual major would better serve you so that you have a backup plan to English.

I echo what previous posters have said about a career post-degree in English (and this is coming from someone who thinks English is the most important subject taught in school).

Old 01-05-2016, 07:07 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
But that IS a possibility with an associate in English.

What is you Plan B?

Old 01-05-2016, 07:09 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Maybe art history!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities