Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 08:38 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,075,960 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be starting college again this Fall and will be pursuing a Masters in International Relations/Development. In a nutshell, I majored in Economics as an undergrad and then soon thereafter worked in clerical accounting (shudder) and also in teaching abroad. Upon returning back home I have realized that my Econ degree isn't opening enough doors for me and I want to advance my knowledge and keep traveling the world and work with governments, NGOs, Non-Profits, and the like (which isn't too shocking considering I'm going after a degree in IR ).

They say that it's strongly suggested/required that you learn a second language, which I am happy to do. I have some previous exposure to Spanish and I know Thai at a basic level (I can read the Thai alphabet fairly well and am good at sounding out words, but I can't read the paper yet). On that note, is there a language which will truly open up doors for me if I speak it after I graduate from grad school? I realize Mandarin Chinese is probably an option, but that's a bit too much to learn in a small amount of time and I used to live in China, so although I had a good time while I lived there, I wouldn't want to return to live long-term in China. Again, nothing against China, it's just not for me long-term. But, I have considered really busting my arse and learning Spanish, Portuguese, Thai, or frankly whatever language(s) can help me after graduation. Any suggestions on languages which are great to know if you work in the IR field?

Thus, I was hoping I could get advice from anyone who is knowledgeable about working in International Relations/International Development and help me on way to start a new career and life after grad school. If so, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 09:05 PM

964 posts, read 994,357 times
IMO you should have more than one foreign language. Spanish is a good one, as it will open up jobs with gov't orgs and NGO's working in Latin America. If the school you're chosen for your international relations program offers Thai, take it. Otherwise, French would help in Africa, though I wouldn't recommend beginning both French and Spanish together, as you might confuse them. If you have to chose one language, I'd make it Spanish.

Do MA programs in International Development exist? I know Geography departments offer it as an undergrad specialization. What schools or programs specifically are you looking at?

Old 03-01-2016, 02:06 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,075,960 times
Hi,

Thanks for the reply! My bad, I will be in International Studies/Relations, not Development (at this point). I will be attending Texas State. Thanks, I will continue to learn more Spanish, since, as you mentioned it would help me if I worked in Mexico, Central America, or South America. I will also inquire about Spanish classes at the school, but living in central Texas as I do now affords me opportunities to learn Spanish without having to go through my university. But, if it's offered there, I will also pursue it.

Thanks again!

Old 03-03-2016, 03:25 PM

294 posts, read 476,417 times
Clearly I think Spanish would open up more doors than anything else (assuming you aren't looking to do Mandarin). Though if you're truly considering any Asian language in terms of practicality, it might as well be Chinese. I did IR for undergrad and have been learning Mandarin for nearly a decade, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're patient or have a knack for learning languages quickly. I'm still looking at picking up Spanish for my next language but have been lacking the motivation recently. If you are trying to pick something up in a short amount of time, then definitely Spanish or French.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:57 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Unless you're visually/artistically oriented, Mandarin will have you tearing your hair out. Thai at least has an alphabet.

International Studies is good, OP. You can working with NGO's, development orgs like OXFAM, or US government internat'l development orgs, like Inter-America Foundation (with your Spanish), or Asia Foundation, if you take Chinese or Mongolian or Thai.

Furthermore, you could aim for a State Department job. Check out their website to see what kind of jobs they have, and what they require of applicants, so you can see what to include in your MA program.

Sometimes some background in anthropology helps, since working for development orgs will involve work with indigenous peoples and inter-cultural issues. Let's see, you have economics and a little accounting? That's good. You might be able to score a job with the Inter-American Development Bank (again, I'm thinking: Latin America), or maybe an internship. You'll have a very good combination of skills. I predict a bright career ahead of you, if you're able to get some good internships during your summers. Start brainstorming now re: where you want to apply for internships. The NGO Cultural Survival (look it up) offers internships, and I imagine OXFAM does. The Carter Center. Maybe even those governmental international aid orgs I mentioned. Even with just a BA in economics and accounting experience, you might be able to get an internship with someplace like that the summer after you graduate. It would be a way to get your foot in the door. Everyone can use an economist. The Global Fund for Women (San Francisco) does interesting work.

I'm just thinking out loud.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:09 AM

478 posts, read 809,469 times
Start with Spanish, especially since you already have some background in it. It's certainly not a rare language skill, but two is better than one and spanish will open up many doors in the western hemisphere (most of them, actually, when combined with English). Also, I think you're better off really mastering a second language to the point that you can use it in a professional setting than developing mediocre skills in several languages. Sure, learn additional ones at some point, but start by really getting one in the bag, so that you can confidently take any spanish-speaking opportunity or assignment that comes up and not be held back by a lack of confidence or skill with the language.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:36 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the reply! My bad, I will be in International Studies/Relations, not Development (at this point). I will be attending Texas State. Thanks, I will continue to learn more Spanish, since, as you mentioned it would help me if I worked in Mexico, Central America, or South America. I will also inquire about Spanish classes at the school, but living in central Texas as I do now affords me opportunities to learn Spanish without having to go through my university. But, if it's offered there, I will also pursue it.

Thanks again!
Texas State? Start networking now because you'll be competing for jobs with graduates of schools that are members of APSIA.
APSIA

Old 03-10-2016, 09:54 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
Hi,

I will be starting college again this Fall and will be pursuing a Masters in International Relations/Development. In a nutshell, I majored in Economics as an undergrad and then soon thereafter worked in clerical accounting (shudder) and also in teaching abroad. Upon returning back home I have realized that my Econ degree isn't opening enough doors for me and I want to advance my knowledge and keep traveling the world and work with governments, NGOs, Non-Profits, and the like (which isn't too shocking considering I'm going after a degree in IR ).

They say that it's strongly suggested/required that you learn a second language, which I am happy to do. I have some previous exposure to Spanish and I know Thai at a basic level (I can read the Thai alphabet fairly well and am good at sounding out words, but I can't read the paper yet). On that note, is there a language which will truly open up doors for me if I speak it after I graduate from grad school? I realize Mandarin Chinese is probably an option, but that's a bit too much to learn in a small amount of time and I used to live in China, so although I had a good time while I lived there, I wouldn't want to return to live long-term in China. Again, nothing against China, it's just not for me long-term. But, I have considered really busting my arse and learning Spanish, Portuguese, Thai, or frankly whatever language(s) can help me after graduation. Any suggestions on languages which are great to know if you work in the IR field?

Thus, I was hoping I could get advice from anyone who is knowledgeable about working in International Relations/International Development and help me on way to start a new career and life after grad school. If so, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
It takes years and years to develop a working proficiency of another language. It is not something you just decide to go out and learn. There are many, many people who spend years and years trying to learn and still do not even reach a proficiency level high enough to obtain points on a FSO exam. On the flip side, there are a small few who seem to pick up right away any language amazingly easy, and become professionally proficient in a short time and without ever having formal instruction. So basically I am saying that unless you know you have a talent for languages, in which you would have discovered by now, do not stake your career path on having a professional proficiency in a specific language, you just may not ever achieve that proficiency no matter how much effort you put in it.

The IR field really revolves around what school people come out of. Sure, you can pick up positions without going to these select schools, but just like law and B schools, life is easier if you do graduate out of the select schools that are highly regarded in the field. This especially true in government, where the State Department basically only recruits from select schools and getting hired outside of this recruitment is heavily weighted in favor of what school you go to (hired into IR type field that is).

University of Denver, Tufts, Georgetown, etc, those are the schools to get into.

And onto another issue; IR is pretty broad and really; truly what special skills do you pick up that are needed? This field is flooded with people with the same aspirations of helping save the world. You are much better off saving the world if you have harden skills to go do so. Your IR is not going to solve problems of sanitation, clean water, supply chain management, property rights, security derivatives, etc. However, having a degree specializing in those fields will. All your IR is going to do is state "they need clean water" but it is not going to state how can this get done given the resources you have at your disposal. It is like the IR grad saying "these people need medical help", yet not possessing any skills to give this help. IR is needed to coordinate the efforts, but the field is saturated with people doing this, because it is easier than learning those hardened skills needed to get the work done.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:43 PM

294 posts, read 476,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The IR field really revolves around what school people come out of. Sure, you can pick up positions without going to these select schools, but just like law and B schools, life is easier if you do graduate out of the select schools that are highly regarded in the field. This especially true in government, where the State Department basically only recruits from select schools and getting hired outside of this recruitment is heavily weighted in favor of what school you go to (hired into IR type field that is).
This isn't true for all State Department positions. Virtually everyone has a shot at working in the Foreign Service if you have the right skills. It might take a little bit more work, but you can still get the same type of jobs with a bit of experience under your belt. In fact, I did IR from a not too highly regarded State school and have an interview with the SD soon. Not sure I'll pass, but the fact that I've even been invited shows they're more than open to hiring people that didn't go to "select schools".

Old 03-10-2016, 02:43 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
This isn't true for all State Department positions. Virtually everyone has a shot at working in the Foreign Service if you have the right skills. It might take a little bit more work, but you can still get the same type of jobs with a bit of experience under your belt. In fact, I did IR from a not too highly regarded State school and have an interview with the SD soon. Not sure I'll pass, but the fact that I've even been invited shows they're more than open to hiring people that didn't go to "select schools".
No, of course not for all positions, which number in the thousands. But for many people, those prized ones are always not within reach, or takes years to obtain due to the school they went to. Using the GS for example; They will often see the Tufts grad sliding right into a great GS-9 ladder to 12 special assistant spot, then get picked up right away for some 13 spot, where they may sit for a while and move on up to 14. All the while the run of the mill state school grad will be slugging it out seemingly working twice as hard for half the award.

There is a reason why people do all they can to get into certain schools, it is because of the rewards they get after. No one goes through upteen million things to get into the UofD IR program if it had the same career results as some Pokeville University.

Not saying it is impossible after a non preferred school, it is just the odds are higher in not getting into that desired career field. The IR field is full of people who are not working in the career in which they went into IR in the first place.

A FSO does not require any degree at all, and there is no preference, however, I would never hang everything up on getting into that, even passing you still have to achieve the points to get selected. I went through the process but turned down the offer to seek private sector employment. It took me two tries, once in college and passed the written but not that narrative thing (I forget what it is called), the second went through the interview, passed, received an offer, but by then I was concentrating on better private sector employment.

There are also many other State positions that do not adhere to the preferential school thing, however, the IR related ones do, and those are the ones people are after. Even if accepted, it gets difficult to go up the ladder competing with the alumni favored groups.

This is why I recommended a more hardened skill, to increase the chances of getting into an IR field. Tons of IR related non-profits (just view the employment openings in the DC area) seek technical skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities