Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 10:43 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times

Advertisements

If you have received an inappropriate rep comment, then report it. They are not anonymous to the moderators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 06:16 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,085 times
When it comes to the national recognition of academically mediocre universities, sports program performance comes into play. Therefore, I'd rank them:

1. Syracuse
2. Villanova
3. Baylor

The rest.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:12 PM

933 posts, read 1,477,566 times
I think y'all are really disrespecting the Syracuse Newhouse School for journalism . It has got to be top two in the country, along with Northwestern.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:23 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
According to US News and World Report:
Vanderbilt #15
GWU #57
Syracuse #61
Baylor #72
UMass, Amherst #75
LSU #129

Sounds about right, but as others have stated, it depends on the stature of the department in which you are taking your major.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:36 PM

539 posts, read 523,281 times
Not sure, but if you wanna work in NYC there is a huge SU alumni. Same with DC and GW, etc.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:36 AM

579 posts, read 664,223 times
I understand that, only in a few instances will academic prestige actually amount to a job skill; as a job skill, however, academic prestige is a little peculiar. All that I know for certain as to which fields place importance to prestige as a job skill is that law, investment banking/venture capital, higher education teaching (admittedly more so in humanities/social sciences than in STEM) are the sectors where prestige actually counts as a hard job skill.

In law, prestige is considered such a critical hard job skill to have (but that's probably a function of the absolutely disastrous legal job market), to the point law firms would hire lawyers from top-14 schools, or top-6 even, over graduates from non-elite schools while having otherwise not nearly as much to show for as far as the other job skills are concerned. (Non-elite law degrees tend to travel a lot more poorly in the job market than even undergraduate degrees)

That said, I don't know how important will prestige become as a job skill in the future outside of those fields. I suspect it will increase as more jobs get outsourced and competition for the non-outsourceable jobs will increase, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
  • Baylor University
  • Syracuse University
  • Villanova University
  • Louisiana State University
  • George Washington University
  • UMass-Amherst
It's highly field-dependent... I could more or less tell what school is best for certain fields.

If you were contemplating a biomedical field, Baylor takes the cake, Syracuse in architecture, UMass Amherst in computer science, GWU in political science, public affairs and law, Villanova for religion. For undergrad business, I would have to go with Villanova, and then with GWU/Syracuse/Baylor and then UMass Amherst-Isenberg and LSU.

Oh, of course, as others said before, you should pay attention to whether you would even want to work in a given region, especially if you're open to work outside the field of your major but where some skills from your major may prove useful nonetheless; at this level of prestige, regional differences carry more weight than at the top. Go to LSU or Baylor if you want to work in the South, Villanova in Philly (and I would think the rest of mid-Atlantic, too), GWU if you lean more towards VA, MD, DC and, of course, Syracuse in NY.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:39 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Villanova and GWU would probably have the most "off the head" prestige to me.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:42 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times
Quote:
I understand that these schools are not necessarily highly ranked, but I wanted to get an idea of which school (overall, regardless of program) would be most-respected/most-recognizable across the country. I know certain schools on the list are more respected regionally. I'm having a "friendly" conversation with my coworkers (that are alumni of these schools).

• Baylor University
  • Syracuse University
  • Villanova University
  • UMass-Amherst
Name recognition among the general public has a lot to do with the college's sports program. Out of that list, LSU would be the most visible because of its football team and presence in the SEC.

Baylor has had success with football lately too but is in a lower-profile conference. Syracuse, GWU and Villanova have all been present in the NCAA basketball tournament in recent years as well as Baylor in both men and women's basketball.

Academically, I would have to look them up, none of them stand out off the top of my head. I'm from Texas so I know that Baylor's reputation is decent. I also know that UMass-Amherst is their public state flagship and on the higher end of them. Don't know much about the others. I've heard...something...about the GWU law school.

The entire Louisiana public university system had gotten a lot of bad press lately due to very aggressive budget cuts. I'd go to LA occasionally and the local news would always talk about how some Louisiana public university branch was going to close due to budget cuts and a couple years ago the LSU president testified before congress about possibly going bankrupt. Based on that alone, I'd say LSU would be the worst academically. That, and I remember Jon Stewart making fun of LSU because it was the backup school of the litigant in a high profile reverse discrimination lawsuit.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-17-2016 at 01:59 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 07:41 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Name recognition among the general public has a lot to do with the college's sports program. Out of that list, LSU would be the most visible because of its football team and presence in the SEC.

I would have to agree. Big name football. Perennial baseball powerhouse. Men's basketball not so good, but their star player was on ESPN and CBS Sports every hour every day.

Also agree on the budget problems. I even remember a story that mentioned doing away with LSU football due to the persistent budget problems. Of course that would never happen. Remember they tried to fire Les Miles last year because he couldn't beat Bama. Within a week their big $$ alumni claimed they had raised the buyout money. And this was happening just a few months after they tossed around the idea of academic bankruptcy.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:58 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,910 times
Quote:
I understand that these schools are not necessarily highly ranked, but I wanted to get an idea of which school (overall, regardless of program) would be most-respected/most-recognizable across the country. I know certain schools on the list are more respected regionally. I'm having a "friendly" conversation with my coworkers (that are alumni of these schools).

• Baylor University
  • Syracuse University
  • Villanova University
  • UMass-Amherst
Just off the top of my head, probably LSU because it's a large state school with tons of alumni and fans. Academically, they're all 2nd or 3rd tier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities