Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 01:01 AM

83 posts, read 75,634 times

Advertisements

Starting in Fall 2012 and ending in Fall 2016 is very normal. I read somewhere that the average student graduates in 5/6 years (especially at large state schools). Living at home after undergraduate is also extremely common. Don't feel bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 07:10 AM

26,764 posts, read 26,880,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
it's certainly becoming more normal.
It certainly is.
For First Time In 130 Years, More Young Adults Live With Parents Than With Partners : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 07-30-2016, 06:08 PM

22,619 posts, read 47,758,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by closure View Post
Not according to these statistics.
:::sigh:::
If you are going to refute me, do it right. Don't take a sentence out of context.

I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Really?
The kids I know cannot afford to stretch it out two additional semesters!
Most everyone graduates in 4 years.
I know a few that did it in 3.5. I know a few - including a new grad - who got done in 3.

The two that took 5 years ended up with masters degrees by going an extra year.
See that?
The kids I know
Your stats are meaningless when I am speaking of the personal experiences of people I know.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:16 PM

43 posts, read 39,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
:::sigh:::
If you are going to refute me, do it right. Don't take a sentence out of context.

I said:

See that?
The kids I know
Your stats are meaningless when I am speaking of the personal experiences of people I know.
Well, you said "Most everyone graduates in 4 years" instead of "Most everyone I know graduated in 4 years". Most everyone I know also graduated in 4 years, but I am aware that the statistics are way more accurate than my anecdotal experience. I would probably have a very different experience if I lived elsewhere.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:59 PM

6,826 posts, read 10,540,205 times
5 years to graduate is pretty normal. Moving back home while looking for a job temporarily is also pretty normal. Parents paying for grad school is not normal - that you should be doing on your own.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:46 PM

43 posts, read 39,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Parents paying for grad school is not normal - that you should be doing on your own.
I agree. Kids going to grad school should either use money they've inherited or take out student loans.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:24 AM

9,174 posts, read 13,273,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpinrni View Post
So I'm 22 and I will be graduating from college in a few months. There aren't really any good jobs for a BA in my field, so I want to go straight to Grad School, but I don't have the means to pay it, so my parents will have to. I'll probably also be living with them, as my college is close by. Is this normal? Also, I'm taking 9 semesters to graduate instead of 8. I started college in Fall 2012 and I'll be done in Fall 2016. Is that normal?
On Long Island and probably other expensive parts of the country, not only is it normal but it is completely normal for young people to live with their parents into their 20s.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:43 PM

530 posts, read 638,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by closure View Post
Not according to these statistics.
Honestly it depends on the college. The truth is at a lot of colleges it is pretty unusual when someone doesn't finish in four, I know at my alma mater eighty-something percent of students graduate in four years. But yes with nationwide trends it isn't unusual at all.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpinrni View Post
So I'm 22 and I will be graduating from college in a few months. There aren't really any good jobs for a BA in my field, so I want to go straight to Grad School, but I don't have the means to pay it, so my parents will have to. I'll probably also be living with them, as my college is close by. Is this normal? Also, I'm taking 9 semesters to graduate instead of 8. I started college in Fall 2012 and I'll be done in Fall 2016. Is that normal?

Better consult your parents on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities