Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 11:22 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

I moved out same year I left HS and shared apartment with a friend. No college. Just got a job and paid for my apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 11:24 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Do people move away anymore? I know plenty of leeches north of 30 who move home at the slightest setback or stay home to save money for a house.
Yes, I agree. I am back in school and most people in my class are between 23 and 30 and almost all of them live at home! I mean, I love my parents but hell no!

Old 06-12-2016, 02:07 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Yes, I agree. I am back in school and most people in my class are between 23 and 30 and almost all of them live at home! I mean, I love my parents but hell no!
I love my parents but four days is my threshold for staying at my parents house. After that they drive me up the wall.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
It depends on how soon they can find a job that supports them. I did it at 19 but there is no way I could do what I did today. Those jobs and companies that me and my friends went to work for (and could stay at for 40 years) are gone. And the COL has increased 100X more than the entry level salaries (which also included medical, dental and a pension package).

Some can do it, depending on the industry, where they live, who they know, etc. Others can do it if they do it together with a bf/gf or a few reliable roommates. There is no one size answer these days.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:09 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prpinrni View Post
So I imagine that just about everyone on here went to college. I also imagine that most of the people you know went to college, but just in-case you happen to know someone who didn't go to college, how long did it take that person to become independent of their parents?
Took me about 6 mos., after graduating from high school, to find a job, buy a car, and find an apartment. I graduated when I was 17 yrs. old.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:58 AM

14 posts, read 15,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
I graduated when I was 17 yrs. old.
Why do I need to know that?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:39 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
I graduated when I was 17 yrs. old.
LOL, As do many other people. Just depends at what age you started school. My wife and I have 6 kids. Of those 6 three have since graduated from high school. The oldest was 18, the next two were 17. We have a son in high school now that will turn 18 months before he graduates. The other two will turn 18 after they graduate. Almost everyone that goes to high school graduates between age 17 and 18. It is not really that big of deal.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:44 AM

Lots of people never go on to college and end up with a fine life. It is all in the planning or what choices that they have. I know lots of people that never went to college. They did have skills though. I have two brothers that never went to school. One has been working with computers since he was 12 and has never looked back. He is 49 now. Another worked his way up at various jobs, starting with retail. He went on to get a job at a printing company and worked his way up that way eventually becoming a CFO for a small company without a formal education. He has since went on to develop a hair care line and is CEO of his own growing company.

A guy at work left to buy a company with his brother. They have never been to school. I can name lots of others that have done the same thing.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:58 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Making money without education/work experience at young age is probably easier for young men that can work manual labor intensive jobs...construction, oil field, agriculture.

Otherwise young people get out of parent household by getting a job or 2 and sharing rent with multiple roommates...so as soon as enough money accumulated for their share of 3 months rent (rent&deposit).

Old 06-14-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Making money without education/work experience at young age is probably easier for young men that can work manual labor intensive jobs...construction, oil field, agriculture.

Otherwise young people get out of parent household by getting a job or 2 and sharing rent with multiple roommates...so as soon as enough money accumulated for their share of 3 months rent (rent&deposit).
I know in the past that was the way to go. Now with the internet, social media marketing, online selling, creating content, kids have it much easier than at any time in history. You can now start a business for free online, market that business, sell product on that business, run the business. It is amazing. Why anyone would want to jump into a high labor job is beyond me. Too much money on the table with online opportunities.

On top of that look at the many business opportunities. I look at the business I have and the company offers a free business opportunity. It cost nothing to start up and all you need to do is market the product, which consist of telling people about the product and having them get on a three way call to more experienced people in the business. They buy, you make money, they decided to sell and you make more money.

Nothing has ever been available in the history of work compared to what we have now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities