Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:18 PM

926 posts, read 980,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Depending on where you live, sometimes just-across-the-border schools charge in state rates for out of state residents living on their border.
yes when i studied in eastern wa, next town across 8 miles had U of Idaho where we could literally take classes there toward our degree without even enrolling. However now I learned there is no school that charges same in-state and out-of-state, perhaps I'd rather hunt for schools that has small difference between in-state and out-of-state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 12:39 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
My son's private school tuition with a generous renewable academic scholarship is cheaper than public university would have been with a moderate non-renewable academic scholarship.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:21 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,933,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
thanks all, when i was studying my B.S., i applied private school in seattle which called Seattle University. Yes they have me generous fin.aid package but after all tuition and paid yearly living cost covered was about 3000$ which is not possible in metro area like seattle. as a consequence, I moved to eastern washington to reduce my COL and enrolled in WSU. Had I qualified for scholarship, then it could have been different (at least according to what you guys have described here). I did not have time and resource to research scholarship, only for fin.aid.

There are public universities in some states that charge less for their out of state tuition than other states charge to their residents for in state tuition. Big difference in tuitions from state to state across the country. You were wise to also check into COL. Just imagine what you'll pay where you are just to live compared to for example, the major east coast cities.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:30 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
In the midwest there are some public colleges that offer 150% of in-state tuition to students from other midwest states. 150% is usually much cheaper than out-of-state tuition.

There is a list of the schools that are in this agreement. it's called Midwest Student Exchange Program. Here is a link. It lists which schools do this and which state residents get the discount.

Midwest Student Exchange Program |

Old 09-07-2016, 04:15 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Have no idea what you want to major in, but be sure to check out how the degree program you want rates at the school you want. Ran into this problem when looking at schools for DD. None of the schools in state were really big in that field. So we ran into the dilemma of picking between in state school that was nearly free (once scholarships and etc were figured in) but had a lousy program, or out of state school where she will graduate with debt, but has a program that will deliver a much higher quality education.

In the end after visiting multiple schools, we decided that even "free" would have been too expensive given the low quality of the in state program and she went out of state.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:25 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
If you are in a Western State, you may be able to find a college that participates in this program: WICHE - Student Exchange Programs

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
yes when i studied in eastern wa, next town across 8 miles had U of Idaho where we could literally take classes there toward our degree without even enrolling. However now I learned there is no school that charges same in-state and out-of-state, perhaps I'd rather hunt for schools that has small difference between in-state and out-of-state.
Wow... if you can take courses at Moscow, ID while at Pullman, WA (WSU), that would be great I would suspect there are some restrictions as to how many hours you can accrue at UID.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:47 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Many online programs charge the same tuition for everyone. I got my second master's degree online from a school in a different state and the tuition was the same price all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities